Registry 80 Series Registry (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just picked up my second FJ80. My first one I bought in NYC in 1995 and moved to Los Angeles with all my world possessions packed inside. I kept that one for 7.5 years, and criss-crossed the American West with it. I loved sleeping in the back, above the snakes and scorpions. I then got the speed bug, and sold it to go to the racetrack.

After 15 years focused on going around in circles at the track, I got that bug out of my system, and the only car I found myself wanting after a few months of looking at newer 4x4's was my old FJ80. Honestly nothing ticked all the right boxes the way the old FJ does.

Well yesterday I got my second one, a 115k miler with most of the upgrades I'd made to mine, Old Man Emu, new rad, and several other little tweaks.

Drove her back from SF to LA yesterday, seen here at our first refill at Buttonwillow on the I-5. She did 12mpg cruising between 75-80, a little worse than my memory of 14mpg in my old one. Our first big trip will be LA to Jackson Hole for the eclipse, and I'm super excited to be back in my favorite 4x4 ride for it.

Look forward to learning how to keep her in tip-top shape with the community here.

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG
I've been in the market for an 80 series for a little while. I already own three cruisers but really needed something to keep at our beach house. My last two cruisers came from the west coast but I was really trying to stay closer to home this time. Finally, I came across a clean LX450 in the area and it came home.

1. 1996 LX450
2. John Lockwood
3. Tbd
4. 175k
5. Nothing yet. Will be adding an OME suspension, tires and ARB front bumper in the very near future. Not sure what else right now.
6. Hauling fly rods to/from the tarpon skiff.

Just bought my second FJ80 Land Cruiser. This is one of the cleanest ones I've seen out there. Really love the Beige/silver/gold color and the brown interior with cloth seats. My plan is to turn this truck into an overland rig as my LC 200 is my daily driver and too nice to mess with at the moment. So definitely doing the following in the near future.

- V8 LS Conversion
- Air Lockers
- Scheel-mann front seats
- OME Suspension
- ARB front bumper with 10K winch
- 4x4 Labs rear bumper
- CVT or SmittyBilt roof tent

FJ80.png

FJ80VSLC200.png

Last edited:
Got my cruiser 18 months ago from @M0untaineer and have been lurking on Mud for twice that, decided it's finally time for introductions. This is our family adventure wagon, used primarily for trips to GSM/OBX/VT. M0untaineer already had the truck in incredible shape when I purchased it, and since then my focus (for the most part) has been on PM and "overland" mods.

'96 FZJ80 - 199k
Raleigh, NC

Factory lockers
OME 2.5" shocks/springs + slee spacers
ARB front
Slee rear
Metaltech sliders
35x12.5r17 BFG KO2's on dark bronze SCS F5's
A haircut + Prinsu
National Luna kit with Dual 31M's
sPOD wired to factory defogger switches
Lots of Rigid lighting
Lots of toys from @NLXTACY
Lots of parts from @beno

Photo Jul 28, 1 47 38 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 28, 1 47 27 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 28, 1 48 10 PM.jpg

Photo May 19, 7 43 42 PM.jpg

You rig looks good. Could you post more pictures of your front bumper and winch setup. Also
info on tire and lift height.

Got my cruiser 18 months ago from @M0untaineer and have been lurking on Mud for twice that, decided it's finally time for introductions. This is our family adventure wagon, used primarily for trips to GSM/OBX/VT. M0untaineer already had the truck in incredible shape when I purchased it, and since then my focus (for the most part) has been on PM and "overland" mods.

'96 FZJ80 - 199k
Raleigh, NC

Factory lockers
OME 2.5" shocks/springs + slee spacers
ARB front
Slee rear
Metaltech sliders
35x12.5r17 BFG KO2's on dark bronze SCS F5's
A haircut + Prinsu
National Luna kit with Dual 31M's
sPOD wired to factory defogger switches
Lots of Rigid lighting
Lots of toys from @NLXTACY
Lots of parts from @beno

View attachment 1505809
View attachment 1505808View attachment 1505814
View attachment 1505810

Hey guys,
1st time Toyota owner. Always had a soft spot for these Cruisers! Something about a really nice vehicle that is crazy capable offroad.

1. 94 Land Cruiser
2. Chris Kimes
3. RainMaker
4. 155k
5. Stock
6. Occasional daily driver/Weekend Wheeler
7.Working on loading photo

Last edited:
1. 1994 FZJ80R
2. Cooley
3. Big girl
4. 392,000 km
5. Roof rack and a freshly rebuilt 1FZ-FE. Not a mod I know...but feels like one!
Bit of back story. Got very lucky and picked her up for $1 AUD from a friend of my dads. The friend is a hot shot lawyer and had bought her for his son as a first car. Apparently the son didn't like it and wanted a mercedes. When they took the 80 down to their merc dealer for a trade-in they got offered $500 for it. They knew my dad has a farm so they called him up and asked if he wanted an "old bomb". I was sitting next to dad (who has enough old bombs sitting around) and he asked if I wanted it. I ummed and ahhd and eventually said why not. Went to pick it up a few days later,expecting to find a hunk of junk, and instead found this sweet ride! Been driving it ever since.
Recently did a backyard rebuild of the 1FZ-FE with the assistance of my brother(who is a mechanic) and she's gone from using 24L/100km empty to using 19.2L/100km towing a small camper trailer. Love this forum, it has been a huge help!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
1994 LC
Factory lockers
2in OME

I'm new to the whole land cruiser (Toyota) thing, being the first Toyota I have ever been around. I have been around jeeps my whole life. I'm very excited to start this new project. There is going to be a lot to learn.

View attachment 1507963
What tire size and brand do you have on?

Hey guys,
I've been a member for a couple of years but never posted pictures of my trucks. I have two of them as follows:

1. 1997
2. The 40th
3. 116k
4. Built - Harrop lockers front and rear
5. Less of a daily driver and more a weekend wheeler

1. 1994
2. The white one
3. 191k
4. Stock with factory lockers
5. More of a daily driver and less of a weekend wheeler

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using IH8MUD as a resource for a couple of years. I don't know how long IH8MUD has been around, but it has been hugely beneficial to me. Thank you, all of you who have posted so much valuable information.

My very first vehicle was a factory locked 1994 and that was in 1994. By the end of 1995, it had all of the mods including a 3" suspension lift before there was a suspension lift kit specifically made for it. At least that was what I was told when I tried to find a kit in 1995. I needed IH8MUD then. I went with Bilstein shocks. I can't remember the springs. My first 1994 truck was involved in a collision and salvaged. Next, I had three 100 series; a 2000, 2002 and a 2004. I have always loved the 80 series land cruiser. I liked the 100 series obviously, but IMHO, the 80s are special vehicles. In high school, I fully put it to the test. That's so understated... Deep water crossings, Mississippi gumbo mud, a lake bed that stuck a friends H1 etc. It's an amazing vehicle and I don't have to tell you because you already know.

I currently have two 80 series as follows:

1. 1997 40th Anniversary Limited Edition
2. Joel
3. Currently: the 40th
4. 116k
5. Built - Harrop lockers; prinsu designs rack; heretic light bar; warn M8000; 315 Toyo Open Country AT; Metric TLC seat covers; OME
6. Less of a daily driver and more a weekend wheeler, but admittedly, I don't get time to truly wheel. More like driving the kids out to the farm and driving to the duck blind.

1. 1994
2. Joel
3. Currently: the white one
4. 191k
5. Stock with factory lockers; added 285 Toyo Open Country AT yesterday; refinished interior.
6. More of a daily driver and less of a weekend wheeler. I currently drive this one to the office. I bought it hoping my wife would drive it and she's not interested. I'll probably keep it. I'm currently looking for a low mileage LX470 or 200 series for her.

I've also owned and restored a 1963 Unimog 404 which I sold last year. The Unimog is more capable (I drove it into a lake to around 6 feet of water over soft lake bed), but not a great family vehicle. With respect to size, utility, practical applications, hunting, camping, family recreation, etc, the 80 series cannot be beaten IMHO. My recent 80 series cruisers are a compromise with my wife. Although, my neighbors hated to see the Unimog go. A couple of them said they felt that the neighborhood was safer with the Unimog parked in my driveway. Ha.

1991 fj 80
Stock 3fe engine
Hank
We just call it the "80" (as opposed to our '71 fj40 or our '75 fj55)

In addition to the usual PM....
Snorkel, Rancho steering stabilizer, GPS,Raise spare tire, remove OEM roof rack, adjust acc. and throttle cables, hulled out cats, replace OEM radiator with light weight plastic radiator, remove A/C and all associated parts (pulley, belt,radiator, plumbing), remove third row seats and all associated hardware, removed front and rear bumpers and replaced with custom (fancy way of saying "homemade") bumpers and 9000# winch. Most important mod, cup holders. Running 31x10.50x15 AT
DD and overland expedition with light "wheeling".

On list to do.....
OME 2.5 suspension, paint body, rear storage/sleeping build.

I have owned this truck for 19 years and with all the mods it consistently gets 16 mpg in town and 19 mpg hwy. It drives smooth and will accelerate up hill with no hesitation. The biggest difference in mpg and power came from the hulled out cats, remove a/c, cable adjustments and removing as much excess weight as possible (rad., seats, a/c etc.) It also helps mpg if, when driving up steep hills you don't drop gears by pressing accelerator. Toyota engineers built this truck with the ability to drop the gear shift from D (over drive) into 3 without pressing the "shift button" on the gear shift. By doing this you can maintain speed up inclines without undue acceleration and rpm's that rob mpg. Basically, when in steep climbs drive it much like a manual trans. Saves work on the auto trans and will help mpg.
I bought my first cruiser new in 1973 (an fj40) and have been driving cruisers all my life. I am no expert by any means but I do have a lot of experience with them (polite way of saying I'm old). Not telling anyone to do any of this, just telling you it works for me. Thanks for reading.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom