80 series prepping for the Rocky Mountains, LF advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello members!
I am new to the LC scene and even though I've spent much time reading and searching Id like to get some inquires to my decisions. Constructive criticism welcomed.
This is my new toy, Landy~! 93 w/ around 240k.

The tire size I am planning to work around is a 36-37. I will be getting re-gear'd to 5.29.
Im trying hard to figure out how to lift. As of now It seems my best idea is as follows:
Delta Lift bracket (size?)
Delta Radius arms (all options at order)
Ironman 4" Foam cell pro shocks and springs. (hopefully I can order them alone) I am unsure which load spring as of now.
Extended SS braided brake lines (source unknown)
Delta Swaybar extensions (unless I can find another more visual appealing spacer).
This is my current list, Its my intentions to order very soon. Is this seem like a sound route to take?
After I have finished installing Ill be searching to see which toyota Trailgear bumpers to get and modify to fit. Sliders Ill be getting from white knuckle off road here in Cali. Monstaliner as well, this winter. This is going to be a forever vehicle that I mostly use in the foothills of the Rocky's and in the Chester, CA area around Lake Almanour.

Id love to hear from this community in hopes to alleviate my purchasing worries. Links to "must read" or "must mod" would be greatly appreciated. I know very little of the LC.
Thank you IHMUD

PXL_20201101_154356772.MP.jpg
PXL_20201101_151516986.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to mud, nice Cruiser.
I’m sure plenty of Folks will chime in, plus I well put in my 2 cents.
first if you can, and you can keep the lift in the 2 to 3” range, and keep in mind that across the board most people get more lift them advertised in less you have a heavy Reg ( overland type build )
With that said IMHO I think that Dobsons springs give the most bang for the buck
( zero affiliation )
If you do get into the 4” lift range you open pandora’s box and your wallet as you get into the world of double cardan drive shaft And castor correction issues.

Yeah. Speaking from experience, the ironman 2.5 kit is going to get you to a good height for what you want. Ended up being over 3 in reality and my 35's have more room than needed. Plus it's still stable and did not end up in the area where driveshaft angle was an issue. It's just right is what I mean.

Welcome to mud, nice Cruiser.
I’m sure plenty of Folks will chime in, plus I well put in my 2 cents.
first if you can, and you can keep the lift in the 2 to 3” range, and keep in mind that across the board most people get more lift them advertised in less you have a heavy Reg ( overland type build )
With that said IMHO I think that Dobsons springs give the most bang for the buck
( zero affiliation )
If you do get into the 4” lift range you open pandora’s box and your wallet as you get into the world of double cardan drive shaft And castor correction issues.

Thank you for your cents, felt like a dime to my ears.
Id like to do as little lift as possible but from everything I'm reading, a 4" is the minimum for 37s. I refuse to cut the wells on a classic, I already did some grinding to fit 15in wheels, but that's just the calipers. Unlike my 4runners, I dont mind cutting on them. I do intend to keep this FJ for life. Money is a factor but I'm not concerned so much as I am with doing something Ill regret later. Ive been in rollovers, I do want LCG however I dont want the tires tearing up the insides or having bump stops limit room to flex.

Yeah. Speaking from experience, the ironman 2.5 kit is going to get you to a good height for what you want. Ended up being over 3 in reality and my 35's have more room than needed. Plus it's still stable and did not end up in the area where driveshaft angle was an issue. It's just right is what I mean.
Can you go full lock an tuck with your 35s and 2.5 lift?

Yes, but like I said, the springs gave over 3" in reality. Of course they will settle eventually, but I travel light as well so....

You may be right though, I don't know. It sure doesn't seem like another inch per side of my tire diameter wise would cause an issue but who knows. I do plan on going 37" in the future and am certainly confident to try it on my current setup. There's a lot of variables at play with this stuff.

If you are going to wheel it 37s will rub with a 4” lift.
What size tires are on there now, they-look like at least 35s.

Also you Reg is a FZJ 93 to 97 FJ 91 To 92.
I was Running Trxus 37 x12.50 x 16 on stock wheels for a few years. They would turn full lock with out rubbing on the frame and would tuck nicely.
But I still had to cut the wheel wells even with a 4” lift and bump stop extensions.
There is cutting and there is hacking, if done cleanly, the cutting can still look factory

If you are going to wheel it 37s will rub with a 4” lift.
What size tires are on there now, they-look like at least 35s.
I will be, however there is a huge offset. It sounds like I wont rub with this offset. they are 36 but measure closer to 37. it sounds like 4" is the minimal. my rig will be in some odd positions, sometimes I drink a bit and do things I normally wouldn't. I want all mistakes the fault of my own and not the limits of the vehicle.

OK let try this again. The factory wheels are 8" wide 0 offset with a 41/2" Back spacing This is a perfect wheel spec to run a larger tire with a minimum lift.
They are also a very strong wheel, I have never heard of anyone braking or bending one. I also thing there are a good looking wheel 🤷‍♂️
I would suggest that you keep to a tire that is 12.50 wide or less if you want to use a 4" or less lift Kit.
Just from looking at the tires that you have on there, you will need a 6" lift kit extended bump stops and or cutting to make them work.
My guess is that the tire that you have on there are 14.50 wide with a 10" wheel IMO they are just to big and there never going to stuff or tuck in.

As far as your reg being a classic it is and in your Avatar it looks like a fine example, but you have already de flare it, removed the factory wheels and want to put after market bumpers and a lift on it. all of these thing take away from it's classic value.
Don't get me wrong I think these things are meant to wheel and mine well never be able to go back to classic stratus. 😉

The path of least resistance is stock wheels or ones that are the same spec, (8" wide and 41/2" back spacing ) with a tire that is 12.50 wide or less 36 or 37" tall.
Tire wise that's the sweet spot for a FZJ 80, JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom