International 80 series importation advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings fellow awesome people, I live in California. However my wife is in Colombia and I made the decision to buy a 1994 Toyota Land cruiser 80 Series there. “Burbuja” (Bubble) as they refer to it for it’s round shape and what would happen to you in the 90s if you touched one considering the owners were mostly narc0s and you would get “popped” Anyways it’s been a lot of fun here but I have contemplated shipping it back to the USA specifically California… It is carbureted with a manual transmission. Originally from Venezuela now legally registered in Cali Colombia. I have done a lot of work to it there. It’s ready to adventure. Would be a bit of a unicorn back home. Is it worth looking into shipping? Should I just enjoy it in South america? Maybe take it through the Darien Gap (kidding, kind of ;)

Let me know your thoughts please, if there is anything you are interested in difficult to find back home for your budget. I’m also happy to do the footwork as i’m in Colombia now. Plenty of fj40s here and I have experience with the purchasing process and paperwork. I also have a fantastic mechanic and parts supplier here. Thank you all, Happy new year!

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg

Nice Rig and welcome.
Many of us up here have 40 Series that have been imported from Colombia with the MPR hard tops. If you have a shop or know of a restorer that could help with window seals we would be grateful !
I wish I could help with the import mess but I can’t. Mine was imported through Texas.

What's the name of that color? It's rather stealthy looking.

You got a part # for the hood ornament? Not to everyone's taste, but I'd bet you could import a few of those if OEM.

You got a part # for the hood ornament? Not to everyone's taste, but I'd bet you could import a few of those if OEM.
75303AEMBLEM SUB-ASSY, HOOD
75303-60010CHROME PLATED
75303-60020GOLD

75303AEMBLEM SUB-ASSY, HOOD
75303-60010CHROME PLATED
75303-60020GOLD
No gold for me, but the chrome one might look interesting on the new LX.

EDIT: Drat. No chrome in stock at partsouq, but 16 in gold. Figures.

Last edited:
What's the name of that color? It's rather stealthy looking.

I’ll have to find out exactly what color mine is, I would take off my hood ornament for you if you want it and bring it back with me to the states. I can look into more if anyone else is interested as well.

Nice Rig and welcome.
Many of us up here have 40 Series that have been imported from Colombia with the MPR hard tops. If you have a shop or know of a restorer that could help with window seals we would be grateful !
I wish I could help with the import mess but I can’t. Mine was imported through Texas.
Everyone is on vacation here with the Salsa festival now but I have a few more weeks here. I will see what we can find with window seals. Was this for the 80 or 40 series? Which windows in particular?

Nice Rig and welcome.
Something like this? I’m sure I can find whatever you need in La quince here. Not totally confident about oem but definitely something, maybe from china. I’m happy to investigate.
IMG_6809.png

@Yotaburbuja Just out of curiosity what does an average 40 go for down there?

@Yotaburbuja
Thanks for posting the window seals for that FJ45. It looks like a complete OEM replacement kit. Very nice by the way!

I’m looking for window seal/gaskets for the MPR hard top. OEM window seal don’t fit the MPR! The MPR hard tops were made exclusively in Colombia for the 40 Series Land Cruiser.( and later the 70 series) A bunch of us have imported them and are looking for an easy fix to our window gasket issues. The thinking is that if the MPR tops were manufactured in Colombia there must be a bunch down there and that the Land Cruiser restoration shops must run across the MPR tops and have a solution for replacing window gaskets that can be 40 years old.
So maybe if you are snooping around down there and had time you could look into it?
I’ll include a couple of photos of my FJ43 to give you an idea.

Thanks
devo

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

@Yotaburbuja
Thanks for posting the window seals for that FJ45. It looks like a complete OEM replacement kit. Very nice by the way!

I’m looking for window seal/gaskets for the MPR hard top. OEM window seal don’t fit the MPR! The MPR hard tops were made exclusively in Colombia for the 40 Series Land Cruiser.( and later the 70 series) A bunch of us have imported them and are looking for an easy fix to our window gasket issues. The thinking is that if the MPR tops were manufactured in Colombia there must be a bunch down there and that the Land Cruiser restoration shops must run across the MPR tops and have a solution for replacing window gaskets that can be 40 years old.
So maybe if you are snooping around down there and had time you could look into it?
I’ll include a couple of photos of my FJ43 to give you an idea.

Thanks
devo

View attachment 3517828

View attachment 3517829

View attachment 3517830
Ahhh okay, i’m learning here. I’m going to continue the search. I’m actually really interested myself as well. I’m considering buying a fj40 or fj43 to import for myself instead of my 80 series. I will keep you updated my friend. Thank you very much for the information. I didn’t know anything about the MPR hardtops being from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom