International 80 series importation advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yet another shade. I think we got the early Tundras in that, but not the 80 series?
I have no clue honestly, this tundra is a old faded 2000 (beautiful but I imagine it was different out of the factory 23 years ago) I traded my pristine 2005 sequoia for it out of necessity for work. Although I learned how to drive manual in my papas old green tacoma as a child. Green toyota trucks hold a special place in my heart.

Green toyota trucks hold a special place in my heart.
We think very much along the same track, that is for certain. My MUD-name is no coincidence, which I took after finding MUD right before I bought the green 80 that I turned into ruins recently. That kind of broke my heart, my all time favorite vehicle. The new LX is coming along nicely, but hard to beat the panache of a good green. It's kind of remarkable how paint is the software of the automotive hobby. Different color but otherwise identical trucks can be perceived very differently.

My love of green trucks runs pretty deep and not entirely pure Toyota. My first new vehicle ever was one of the original green 1976 Subaru 4x4 wagons. It proved too small and limited for my needs which is where I ended up in my first Land Cruiser, a green (with white) 1976 FJ55. After the Midwest salt took it away, I went Isuzu for a time. The Trooper II offered no green, so I took tan, but it was replaced by a Rodeo painted a green that was very much like 6M1. When it grew creaky and old, I stumbled across The Sacred Cow. With basically the same mileage as the Isuzu, it drove like a new truck in comparison. And all was good for almost a decade and a half until my moment of stupidity, alas.

All this reflection on the glories of green reminds me of something you might have some insight into. Awhile back (1982), I was traveling in Nicaragua and got to talking trucks with someone and mentioned my 55 back home was green. Interestingly, I was told that there weren't any green Land Cruisers in Nicaragua, civilian ones anyway, because the police had that color reserved for theirs, which were green below and tan above at the time. This was said to be the case in at least one other Central American nation, Costa Rica IIRC. Maybe just a deal north of the Darien Gap, but do you know this to have been or is still the case anywhere in Latin America? Sure doesn't seem to be the case in Colombia. thank goodness. If I have a choice, gimme green.

We think very much along the same track, that is for certain. My MUD-name is no coincidence, which I took after finding MUD right before I bought the green 80 that I turned into ruins recently. That kind of broke my heart, my all time favorite vehicle. The new LX is coming along nicely, but hard to beat the panache of a good green. It's kind of remarkable how paint is the software of the automotive hobby. Different color but otherwise identical trucks can be perceived very differently.

My love of green trucks runs pretty deep and not entirely pure Toyota. My first new vehicle ever was one of the original green 1976 Subaru 4x4 wagons. It proved too small and limited for my needs which is where I ended up in my first Land Cruiser, a green (with white) 1976 FJ55. After the Midwest salt took it away, I went Isuzu for a time. The Trooper II offered no green, so I took tan, but it was replaced by a Rodeo painted a green that was very much like 6M1. When it grew creaky and old, I stumbled across The Sacred Cow. With basically the same mileage as the Isuzu, it drove like a new truck in comparison. And all was good for almost a decade and a half until my moment of stupidity, alas.

All this reflection on the glories of green reminds me of something you might have some insight into. Awhile back (1982), I was traveling in Nicaragua and got to talking trucks with someone and mentioned my 55 back home was green. Interestingly, I was told that there weren't any green Land Cruisers in Nicaragua, civilian ones anyway, because the police had that color reserved for theirs, which were green below and tan above at the time. This was said to be the case in at least one other Central American nation, Costa Rica IIRC. Maybe just a deal north of the Darien Gap, but do you know this to have been or is still the case anywhere in Latin America? Sure doesn't seem to be the case in Colombia. thank goodness. If I have a choice, gimme green.
This is really interesting, unfortunately I don’t have too much insight into this. Green trucks forever 💪 Apologies for the delay i’ve been camping

Nice Rig and welcome.
Many of us up here have 40 Series that have been imported from Colombia with the MPR hard tops. If you have a shop or know of a restorer that could help with window seals we would be grateful !
I wish I could help with the import mess but I can’t. Mine was imported through Texas.
I spent half the day in La quince (the somewhat dangerous auto parts area hear in cali) Searching for parts I needed and the window/hardtop seals. From the people I spoke with a lot of the guys here create their own seals :( No specific kits I could find

This is really interesting, unfortunately I don’t have too much insight into this. Green trucks forever 💪 Apologies for the delay i’ve been camping
Good that you were camping. Was going camping last fall, then a week before we were to leave, I flipped the 80. Better luck this year, I hope.

No problem that you have no insight into this. The fact that you don't suggests that any restrictions on green trucks as I outlined were pretty limited in time and space, and that's a good thing.:rofl:

Good that you were camping. Was going camping last fall, then a week before we were to leave, I flipped the 80. Better luck this year, I hope.

No problem that you have no insight into this. The fact that you don't suggests that any restrictions on green trucks as I outlined were pretty limited in time and space, and that's a good thing.:rofl:
Your the second flipped 80 i’ve heard of recently.

The green thing is peculiar, i haven’t noticed another green 80 however I almost bought an old bulletproof level 2 armored toyota prado that was green and previously owned by government entities here in Colombia. The deal was right but it was the old heavy armor. The modern stuff is crazy light but costs the price of a whole truck practically. Now i’m wondering more about the green thing as I think about it. Police motorcycles here are neon green.
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg
IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, looks like the taxpayers spent a lot of green on that green truck. As a used vehicle, you made the right deision in taking a pass on that. Besides all the extra fuel along with the performance limits it imposes, assuming this was intended to somehow be undercover, disposing of it might be an indication the local bad guys know all about it - and might assume subsequent owners are still after them in it. Hate for that to be an opportunity to see just how degraded its performance is and how good the armor actually is at stopping lead.

Does kind of make it easier to understand why an armored 100 or 200 series would be more popular with users than the relatively underpowered 80 series was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom