International 80 series importation advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Yotaburbuja Just out of curiosity what does an average 40 go for down there?
There was one that I would say is mid level, pretty clean from what I could see and they were asking $42.000.000 (negotiable) co peso which is the equivalent of $11,000 roughly today. Our USD value has lost quite a bit of value since my last visit here and it does fluctuate. I have seen others with all the bells and whistles for closer to $113.000.000 which is $29,500 USD today. With that being said definitely room for negotiating. I’m scrolling through my pictures trying to find the specific Toyotas at these prices.

@Yotaburbuja Just out of curiosity what does an average 40 go for down there?
IMG_0304.jpeg
IMG_0306.jpeg
IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0308.jpeg

This one is it, They were asking the equivalent of $11,000 about 6 months ago. I still see it in the same location here this trip without the for sale sign. However I do believe it’s still available. I had them start it up and it sounded healthy but no test drive yet.

@Yotaburbuja Quite the range there. Always interesting to see what mods/what other places find "cool". My favorite one is the first one you posted, thats exactly what I would like to find here someday. That one with the small block Chevy in it, I noticed that BTF battery holder. I had one identical to it in my 40 years ago. Thanks for taking the time to post them up!!

@Yotaburbuja Quite the range there. Always interesting to see what mods/what other places find "cool". My favorite one is the first one you posted, thats exactly what I would like to find here someday. That one with the small block Chevy in it, I noticed that BTF battery holder. I had one identical to it in my 40 years ago. Thanks for taking the time to post them up!!
I can’t get enough of these toyotas, I love them. My pleasure friend!

Warning: there are several folks on MUD who believe that LandCruisers that are imported from Colombia are inferior to the NA FJ40. Often these fine imports are referred to as “lipstick on a pig”.

To justify this I will say the the USA did get a barrage of SA imports that where patched with bondo and repainted and put up at auctions were the uneducated US buyer payed high prices only to find that had gotten snookered!

I did not have this experience and believe others have had really good experiences with their SA 40 series also.

Anyways Yotaburbuja I’m telling you this because there is still a big market up here for the 40 Series LandCruiser and If you keep showing us examples of what you have it may turn some heads!

…..and is there any meaning to yotaburbuja?

Warning: there are several folks on MUD who believe that LandCruisers that are imported from Colombia are inferior to the NA FJ40. Often these fine imports are referred to as “lipstick on a pig”.

To justify this I will say the the USA did get a barrage of SA imports that where patched with bondo and repainted and put up at auctions were the uneducated US buyer payed high prices only to find that had gotten snookered!

I did not have this experience and believe others have had really good experiences with their SA 40 series also.

Anyways Yotaburbuja I’m telling you this because there is still a big market up here for the 40 Series LandCruiser and If you keep showing us examples of what you have it may turn some heads!

…..and is there any meaning to yotaburbuja?
Thank you Devo, I have personal experience with this here. I can attest to this information being accurate. Upon gutting the interior of my 80 series (carpet and seats) I found lots of rust. I spent a major portion of my vacation removing all the rust myself, welding, priming and painting. It’s also been quite the process getting it adventure ready. I feel very confident with my 80 series finally but the dealer definitely put lipstick on my piggy. A lot more tender loving care needed than I had anticipated. Due diligence is definitely crucial, To anyone here I would not buy anything with out seeing it yourself or having someone you trust thoroughly inspect it. I will show you some examples of my little temporary headache.
366a6025-3031-4a85-81f5-386b4edb0ec4.jpeg
59264f81-39bb-4e60-9ce6-55e8ca9cf9ce.jpeg
92e1dae7-74d3-4792-8e64-2341c0e428eb.jpeg
71045590628__992AAEA2-55B2-4B03-A7CB-D976A43304B3.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpeg

Yota is short for Toyota as you probably know.

Burbuja I thought was slang for the landcruiser 80 series is actually the listed name for parts in shops here. I said 80 series land cruiser and they looked at me absolutely puzzles. Also on the market places here they refer to them as “Toyota Burbuja”

It means bubble in spanish. They call the 80 series “burbuja” here for it’s rounded shaped and the fact that solely narcos had them here in the 90s so you would be “popped” if you touched a 80 series not belonging to you a mechanic told me this. I have read some grades of metal used are different here in south america, would be interesting to see the specifics on this information.

Ah yes, bubble. Thanks!

What's the name of that color? It's rather stealthy looking.

You got a part # for the hood ornament? Not to everyone's taste, but I'd bet you could import a few of those if OEM.
IMG_7094.png

My color code is smudged of my VIN plate although it is a 1994 and I believe this must be the color. “Dark gray Metallic / Blue slate” Found here on another thread. Coolest website ever

My color code is smudged of my VIN plate although it is a 1994 and I believe this must be the color. “Dark gray Metallic / Blue slate” Found here on another thread. Coolest website ever
Never thought I'd find a more attractive color than the 6M1 that my deceased 80 wore, but I really do like the 183 should I ever get the new LX repainted.

You should buy coil packed 80 and sell the carb.
Green one is sweet looking
Do all the fuel injected 80 series come with coil packs or just the 100 series?

I just rebuilt carburetor, new wiring and spark plugs. Some other odds and ends and she’s ripping now. A week ago I was ready to roll it off a cliff with the misfire I had.

I was checking out this coil pack conversion kit, a guy here converted his carbureted 80 to fuel injection and he told me it was a nightmare. i’m sure it could be done right but probably not worth converting mine. A mechanic here does want to buy my 80 hmmm.. she finally gained my trust again and i’m loving the simplicity of the set up honestly. I’m curious to feel the difference in driving. They made the autana 80 series up until 2007 In Venezuela, I’ve seen a few here. I’m not sure of exact specs with engine and everything.
IMG_7118.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom