Events/Trails 80 Series on the Rubicon and cross country tripping: My thoughts and experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sounds like I'd be better off taking my rubicon on tons to the Rubicon and taking an 80 to Moab if I were to split the trips between the two vehicles.

IMHO i would say the 80 can easily do both. It's nice having the capacity to carry things into the Rubicon with you to make the trip more comfortable and so the 80 is nice for that.... but, to just have some fun and not worry a buggy on the Rubicon would be nice.

Nice writeup. Did you keep track of the gear used, not including spare parts and tools? I always want to use the small colored stickers to put on things I use so I can lighten the load the next time but always forget.

The only gear i used was a couple of sockets and a hammer to get the u-joints out of the front driveshaft.

What i did, since i had to install the front diff with the newly added air locker just before the trip, i kept all the tools out that i used to rebuild the front axle. All those tools came with me. Then i added an entire set of wrenches, another 20 sockets, and a few other items. I didn't need them but sethzilla who sheared off 3 of 4 knuckle studs when he arrived into camp at the springs and camped in front of me was glad i had everything... and i was glad i could share!

I also took plenty of fluids (Motor oil, gear oil, grease, ATF fluid, cleaner, rags, grease gun, FSM, more rags, coolant) in a rubbermaid container. And i was glad i had done that as well since one of the gear oil containers that was opened decided to spew out i guess because of the altitude and it was contained inside the container. So that was nice.

Nice post, was that 75-80 MPH before correction for the tires? I remember driving faster

Nice post, was that 75-80 MPH before correction for the tires? I remember driving faster

That's using my GPS since my speedo is off. I think when i was running 75 my speedo said i was running 66 IIRC

I concour with the tunnel heat issue. My trip home was only 8 hours, but it was damn near a hunnerd out and my feet were cooked.
I shoulda brought those fluids you spoke of also. Guess I was too focused on grub.

Sun block and deet wipes were great to have. Baby wipes and hand lotion is mandatory. That dust from all the granite sucks every bit of moisture you have in your skin right out of you.

Ear plugs for the loud booms are good to keep handy. ;)

I checked all the bolts in Tahoe city when I put on my sway bars, was all good for the trip down the hill.
Gas station dude wasn't too keen with bus wrenching there, so next time I'll stop at the transit station just south of the 'Y' in Tahoe City To do that.

Can't believe I made it home with my flares on. I totally expected those to be ripped off, but they made it just fine. No fender carnage.
Diff cover is a must!
I just got the Slee belly pan too, maybe that held in some heat? It's gotta be the 5:29's and 35's though. Cruised home at 76-70 per GPS.

I had a great time with you and yer dad. What an awesome way to spend Fathers Day week!

Alex.

Awesome write up and info on a trip I hope to make in the next few years exactly. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Dang talk about a long trip!

We were up there the first week of June and I did see one 80 at Observation Point. I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner cause stupid ass Jeep was up there "Trail Rating" their new chickoree and had the place packed full of people.

I took my 86 4runner. Driving a heavy 80 through would have been a challenge without a decent lift, tires, and lockers.

Any more pictures?

Dang talk about a long trip!

We were up there the first week of June and I did see one 80 at Observation Point. I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner cause stupid ass Jeep was up there "Trail Rating" their new chickoree and had the place packed full of people.

I took my 86 4runner. Driving a heavy 80 through would have been a challenge without a decent lift, tires, and lockers.

Any more pictures?

Lot-o-pics in here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/673907-official-25th-rubithon-thread-8.html

thx for this info! good to know. Do you think an 80 could do the rubicon with 285's and a 2 inch OME lift? that is what I am running now and am considering going in the future. I have run the rubi many times but always in my old fj40 (sold). I know I would get hung up quite a bit but still think it would be doable.

I think you can run the rubicon with 285's. It comes down to good spotting and taking good lines.

I think you can run the rubicon with 285's. It comes down to good spotting and taking good lines.

agreed. The first time I ran it was with 33's, but in the fj40. My 80 is all armored up, and I am ok with using the winch and pull strap.....

Maybe this will help shed some light on things. Kevin, wheeled with all of us 80 series through the entire Rubicon on his stock (except he had a rear aussie locker installed) FJ45. Only damage he had was a bent steering link and the front two corners of his bumper were bent in. He wheeled with the tires you see and basically blew all of our minds with where he was able to drive that truck.

IMG_3097.jpg

Nice write up CJ...

Doing the Rubicon is best when you do it forward and backwards...

:)

:cheers:

:lol:

Hey Onur, that was our million dollar question. It is harder to run it in reverse. Several times on the trail we mentioned the thought and difficulty of some of the obstacles running the other direction.

Maybe this will help shed some light on things. Kevin, wheeled with all of us 80 series through the entire Rubicon on his stock (except he had a rear aussie locker installed) FJ45. Only damage he had was a bent steering link and the front two corners of his bumper were bent in. He wheeled with the tires you see and basically blew all of our minds with where he was able to drive that truck.

He's superman, doesn't count :p. Ya Kevin impressed and out wheeled all of us in that formation.

thx for this info! good to know. Do you think an 80 could do the rubicon with 285's and a 2 inch OME lift? that is what I am running now and am considering going in the future. I have run the rubi many times but always in my old fj40 (sold). I know I would get hung up quite a bit but still think it would be doable.

Like he said, pick good lines (and toss a few rocks when nobody's looking), and you'll be fine. I ran 285's w/OME lift on my 60, and somehow managed not to get hung up on anything. On two different parts of the trail, I had to pull (two different) 80s on 35s off rocks that probably needed 37s to clear, but then I benefitted from their paving efforts.

Nice thread, Alex! Good to meet you and your dad!

:lol:

Hey Onur, that was our million dollar question. It is harder to run it in reverse. Several times on the trail we mentioned the thought and difficulty of some of the obstacles running the other direction.

I thought it was harder going from the Tahoe side to Loon. I thought Loon to the Springs was significantly easier.

Fantastic write up. Thanks so much for taking The time and sharing.

I thought it was harder going from the Tahoe side to Loon. I thought Loon to the Springs was significantly easier.

:steer: That's what we kept thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom