80 series axles+suspension under a first gen Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just keep the front independent suspension? You can swap in a newer 8" front ifs diff from a fjcruiser or 2nd Gen tacoma and use some rcv chromoly CV axles and wider control arms. The guys from diamond ran such a setup in a 3Rd Gen 4runner with cut fenders, 3" lift and 37s. It did well. And was very streetable

Cause then I'd still have stupid IFS with 10,000 noisy, clunky, moving parts that are all a giant pain in the ass to maintain and replace. :-/

Last edited:
Did this build ever happen?

Did this build ever happen?

Just noticed the thread got bumped. The build has not happened yet. (Kinda a long story...) However, I have recently been working hard to finish gathering the parts to make it happen. If all goes according to plan, its looking like probably around the first of the year when I'll be able to start on it. Hoping sooner but I just had surgery on my hand, wrist, and elbow a couple weeks ago. :-/

I'm still planning virtually exactly what I was originally with swapping the 80 series setup over to the Tacoma. Only extra things I have recently been thinking about doing is adding a crawl box of some sort and perhaps using the minitruck geared case instead of the t100 chain case.

Keep us updated. I have a set of 80 axles in my garage that I have been contemplating putting under my 1996 4Runner. There is a guy on Tacomaworld that has done a Tacoma, and I aware of a few third gen 4Runner builds. It is not a common undertaking though.

I have done a little digging on this but admittedly not enough. My plan was for 4 Wheel Underground front links with coilovers and then possibly their rear link setup. Their front is supposed to ride and function very well. I have looked at the t-case problem a little. I think the T-100 will physically bolt up, but I think the shifter operates differently - more like the forward shift cases instead of the top shift. You may have already looked into this though. I know one of the 4Runner guys ended up using an 80 transmission and transfer case, but it looked like a ton of work.

edit - my memory was off. Early 100 series was 343f transmission.

Last edited:
its a challenge for sure to recreate what toyota did from the beginning.

good luck hope to see some sort of updates soon.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom