80/20 sleeping platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I was looking for a simple drawer to use as the base of a sleeping platform and couldn't find anything with the dimensions I wanted. My goal was to have a comfortable bed for one with the rear seats installed and still keep the fridge in the truck. I have a welder but it's a lot of work and not adjustable once finished. With the 80/20 system I can easily change any dimension of the platform without breaking a sweat. The outside dimensions of the 80/20 structure are 42" long by 22" wide and 8" high. The plywood measures 30" x 42" with a corner nipped off. With the seat folded down it fits a 78" x 30" EXPED MegaMat perfectly. I'm 6' 6" 250 so it's a bit tight but quite comfortable. I have an under bed storage bin on wheels the slides under the platform effortlessly, even with a bunch of heavy tools in it.

I might make it 21" wide so two would fit side by side for a full platform. Another nice feature is that it can be used on either side by simply flipping the board over. It only took about 3 hours to build and I have about $200 worth of aluminum extrusion, brackets and hardware back there now. Can't wait to try it out!

Last edited:
Nice to see the 80/20 put to good use. I thought about it a while back (here) with their QuickFrame product (wrong material, right idea). Let us know how it works out, this is still a design I'm interested in.

Which storage bin are you using?

BTW, 80/20 has an eBay "outlet" of sorts - you might be able to source material at a lower price if you're patient (and interested).

edit 10.13.2016 - that ebay store link no longer works.....:(

Last edited:
My first time seeing this approach. I like it! Thanks for the post.

I'm building out a platform using the same 80/20 10 series materials and even found a cool nylon bearing surface to integrate some drawers with. Here's an example from Amazon. The 80/20 10 series is what my Prinsu Designs rack cross members are made from. Very versatile and strong. Looking forward to getting the platform built.

80/20 Inc., 6730, 10 Series, Short Single Unibearing Bearing Assembly: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

nice product but too pricey for me

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have a set of those slides, I couldn't figure out what to do with them so I just put a rolling storage unit under there. It actually works really well! I replaced the 45deg plates with L brackets so it would slide out easier. With all the weight in it it doesn't move on it own. I think I said it before but if I were to do it again I would use inside corner gussets. The plates are fine but do make it a little wider. Also it would have opened up more options with using those slides.

Is that the 10 or 15 series?

View attachment 1202565 View attachment 1202566 View attachment 1202567 I have a set of those slides, I couldn't figure out what to do with them so I just put a rolling storage unit under there. It actually works really well! I replaced the 45deg plates with L brackets so it would slide out easier. With all the weight in it it doesn't move on it own. I think I said it before but if I were to do it again I would use inside corner gussets. The plates are fine but do make it a little wider. Also it would have opened up more options with using those slides.

Estimated weight with or without plywood?

I like the room of the tent, big ass tent as matter of fact, not ashamed to say it. But there has been occasions when sleeping in the truck would have been better. Your design is awesome, gives me an idea to build a removable platform that will not remove any storage from my cargo area. My inflatable mattress will fit too. The only reason I can't have it permanent is when traveling with dogs (2 Great Pyrenees a.k.a. "bear early warning and repellent integrated system") that take the whole back.
Great executed idea, thank you superjuice!

image.jpeg
It's the 10 series, probably 10 pounds of aluminum and 20 pounds of wood. 80/20 has a software program to estimate deflection. A 40" length of 10 series supported on two ends deflects less than half an inch (actually .166in) with 250lbs in the center. Double the supports and add the wood and I can't even tell if it deflects at all now.

Edit: 80/20 10 series is .59 lbs per foot according to the manufacturer. I don't have a good scale but it's probably more like 20 pounds of aluminum with all the plates and hardware. It's pretty light.

Last edited:
Very much suscribe..

I just got a ton of 80-20 to make my roof rack and just for fun I'm going to build a single sided storage system (we need five seat and sometimes six)

Great ideas, Gracias..

build thread!

View attachment 1202965 It's the 10 series, probably 10 pounds of aluminum and 20 pounds of wood. 80/20 has a software program to estimate deflection. A 40" length of 10 series supported on two ends deflects less than half an inch (actually .166in) with 250lbs in the center. Double the supports and add the wood and I can't even tell if it deflects at all now.

Edit: 80/20 10 series is .59 lbs per foot according to the manufacturer. I don't have a good scale but it's probably more like 20 pounds of aluminum with all the plates and hardware. It's pretty light.

How sturdy is the frame w/o the plywood? Wondering how dura-slat coop flooring would work with this set up.

If you want even cheaper and lighter:

Lay out your top board (1/2" Plywood, Baltic Birch if you wanna be fancy, varnish it if you want it stainproof)
Now get Milk crates and lay them out to distribute weight.
Make a 3/4"x3/4" Cleat screwed to underside of top board to fit inside milk crate.
Put your gear in milk crates then offload when you arrive to destination and put top board back on.
Only bad thing is height can not be adjusted as milk crate is fixed height.

build thread!
Just start cutting, well testing the scale this afternoon..

80-20 is the best system to make and remake stuff, "Oh wait 16mm more to the left" ten second later you are done..
IMG_8572-XL.jpg

The puzzle part is how not to pop the rivnuts from the roof gutters.

So far is all "Upcycle" recycle parts.
IMG_8586-XL.jpg

Oh my "Storage system" will have red 70mm Kryptonics wheels just for added flavor..

Oh think..

AkroBins, not those cheapo walmart totes (New they cost silly money but you can always find them on craigslist for much cheaper, I have about 250 of them and never paid more than .15-.20cent on the dollar
IMG_2491-XL.jpg

simple and aluminum is typically 1:6 in terms of weight against steel of similar dimensions. Your extrusions are probably less even.

I also have the EXPED MegaMat and for some of the harder trails and short trips, I like sleeping in the back - very comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom