7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have two of these and they work great to power the fridge, lights, water pump and stereo on my pop-up camper. Kept our battery full on a 10 day trip with no shore power last year. Just get a solar controller to hook to the battery and you're set. Super easy.
Thanks for the insight. I'll look into it. I'm limited at this point without making more of an investment because I have a 110v fridge, no AC, no heat, and no in-line battery charger. Basically shore power for the fridge or 12v battery for the couple of lights and the water pump. So I'm trying to figure out if its worth installing all of this equipment or just trading up to something that already has everything. I'm leaning towards the latter but don't think that'll happen before we head out of town mid July.
How do you like the pop-up? We had one for a short time before the canvas stitching started to crumble. It was roomier than our Scamp, but also tougher to set up and a pain when it was wet. But for our limited use and the price, the pop up seems like the way to go.

The portable suitcase includes everything you need including the controller mounted to the back of the panel. It has wiring with two alligator clips to plug directly into the battery. No wiring required. Easy peasy.

The only thing you might want to add is the addition 25' of wiring so you can move the panel further from the battery to get optimal sunlight.

Edit: sorry I just reread and it looks like your fridge is 110v. So a solar charger to keep your 12v battery topped off won't help much to run a 110 fridge!

Thanks for the insight. I'll look into it. I'm limited at this point without making more of an investment because I have a 110v fridge, no AC, no heat, and no in-line battery charger. Basically shore power for the fridge or 12v battery for the couple of lights and the water pump. So I'm trying to figure out if its worth installing all of this equipment or just trading up to something that already has everything. I'm leaning towards the latter but don't think that'll happen before we head out of town mid July.
How do you like the pop-up? We had one for a short time before the canvas stitching started to crumble. It was roomier than our Scamp, but also tougher to set up and a pain when it was wet. But for our limited use and the price, the pop up seems like the way to go.

We have a Coleman E1, which is great for space and ground clearance for easier off road stuff. Super comfy, lots of amenities but we are actually getting ready to sell it for a smaller, more nimble teardrop. I haven't found that it's a pain to put up or take down, we are just looking for something a little smaller and more moderate-difficult off road capable.

Is it the end of July yet, I'll be honest my entire focus has been getting ready for this. I'm sure my day to day job is suffering because of it. Our trip plans include:
July 20th leave Nor Cal for Havasu city "visit parents"
July 22nd leave Havasu for Zion/Bryce
July 24th leave Zion/Bryce for Moab/Arches via Capitol Reef
July 26th leave Moab for the grand finale Silverton

I can't wait.

Thanks for all the work that has been put it to this. It's truly appreciated

My wife and I have July 21 thru Aug 6th. Of course we have to tack on travel days to wherever we are going. Anybody have suggestions along any of the routes that are on this map? We figure to leave out on the 22nd. That gives us a good amount of time to stop at places on the way. We also have a good amount of time after HIH. I am going to do some more research myself, but I wanted to see if anybody had any opinions on the matter.

Route to Silverton.JPG

Is there a hashtag or something you all will use for Instagram? I can't be there, but I'd love to see pics throughout the event.

My wife and I have July 21 thru Aug 6th. Of course we have to tack on travel days to wherever we are going. Anybody have suggestions along any of the routes that are on this map? We figure to leave out on the 22nd. That gives us a good amount of time to stop at places on the way. We also have a good amount of time after HIH. I am going to do some more research myself, but I wanted to see if anybody had any opinions on the matter.

View attachment 1487403

Here are a few ideas.

Santa Fe (definitely worth a visit if you haven't been, lots of cool shops, restaurants, etc)
Amarillo (Cadillac Ranch, Palo Duro Canyon are worth a visit)
Albuquerque (sky tram up the mountain)
Mesa Verde National Park (SW Colorado)
Utah/Arizona = Moab, Arches, Canyonland, Monument Valley & 4 Corners if you want to go a bit outta the way (~3-5 hours @)

@aaronrules - Consider staying in Tucamcari, NM. My wife and I stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel (https://www.blueswallowmotel.com/) a couple of years ago on our way to Sierra Vista, AZ. It was a nice place dripping with Route 66 nostalgia. Had breakfast the next morning at an awesome diner just down the road, but I can't remember the name. I wanted to run up La Bajada Hill (an early Route 66 alignment) outside of Santa Fe, but decided not to push my wife's new Acadia...

View attachment 1487403

My son and I spend a couple of nights in Red River, NM to play disc golf on the same ski runs we visit in the winter time. Not the same scale as Colorado, but it's a place we visit often and is on the way back home.

@paflytyer

Prepping my tool kit for the journey. A few months back you posted a list of tools you carry to be ready for disconnecting the front propshaft- flanges etc. Do you have that list handy, or the link to that thread?

Thanks

@paflytyer

Prepping my tool kit for the journey. A few months back you posted a list of tools you carry to be ready for disconnecting the front propshaft- flanges etc. Do you have that list handy, or the link to that thread?

Thanks

Sure.

14mm socket (for the flange nuts)
2 - 14mm wrench (for the driveshaft) one gearwrench, one standard box end
quality snap ring pliers
brass punch/bar
2 strong plastic bags labeled right/left for all of the cone washers, snap ring and nuts)
gloves
BFH
Pliers
Duct tape

View attachment 1487403
Santa Fe or Taos would be a great last stopping point the night before Silverton. Both have grown up a bit but there is still cool stuff in the downtown areas. If you want to spoil the wife before she spends the next several days on the trail, check out Ten Thousand Waves and get a room. It's a hot springs and spa outside of Santa Fe. A little spendy but your wife might thank you. Also in Santa Fe check out the Flying Tortilla Resteraunt. Mom and Pop diner that has been family owned since the 60's with a New Mexican influence. Get green chile on whatever you order. Not your healthy spinach and kale omelette type joint, just good diner type food. Best breakfast in town!
If you were to choose Taos, check out the Taos Inn. Again, not cheap but pretty cool. In the heart of downtown and one of the original motels in Taos that has been nicely updated. Still has a cool vintage feel.

Santa Fe or Taos would be a great last stopping point the night before Silverton. Both have grown up a bit but there is still cool stuff in the downtown areas. If you want to spoil the wife before she spends the next several days on the trail, check out Ten Thousand Waves and get a room. It's a hot springs and spa outside of Santa Fe. A little spendy but your wife might thank you. Also in Santa Fe check out the Flying Tortilla Resteraunt. Mom and Pop diner that has been family owned since the 60's with a New Mexican influence. Get green chile on whatever you order. Not your healthy spinach and kale omelette type joint, just good diner type food. Best breakfast in town!
If you were to choose Taos, check out the Taos Inn. Again, not cheap but pretty cool. In the heart of downtown and one of the original motels in Taos that has been nicely updated. Still has a cool vintage feel.
If you go through NM and Taos,
on the way towards Silverton Near the NM CO border west of Taos is a little town called Chama NM- there's a vintage railroad museum there with working 1800s coal fired trains- not as posh as Taos but a nice little town for a night- lots of small hotel choices.

Hope you guys like killer raffles. This thing is shaping up beyond awesome. @paflytyer and I have been extremely humbled by the support from everyone, participants and vendors. HIH7 will be pretty awesome!!

So you are saying that EVERYONE who enters a raffle will walk home with something....right!? I think that's what I just read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom