76 FJ40 What’s wrong with this picture? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

South Texas 97

GOLD Star
Threads
While attempting to get my truck started, having previously removed and cleaned up the distributor. I did find some white paint on the BB. I know some folks have a hard time finding the BB.
IMG_0957.jpeg

it looks like I put the distributor rotor in 180 degrees out. Which is why it would not start…DOH

the trick of jacking up the rear right wheel and put it in 4th gear made it pretty easy to rotate the engine to find the timing mark.
I have an old timing light, with a trigger, but I needed three hands to turn the motor over with a remote starter, look at the flywheel for the timing mark, and rotate the distributor. I taped the trigger on the timing light, and while cranking, turned the distributor ever so slightly, and bang, the truck started running. Dwell is around 42-43 degrees which seems to be in spec.

other option was to move all the plug wires 180 degrees
but always nice to fix it properly

It may be that you originally stabbed in the distributor at top dead center AFTER the exhaust stroke on No. 1. If so, the result in your picture would be the same. :hmm:

other option was to move all the plug wires 180 degrees
but always nice to fix it properly

Or just move the timing light to #6 plug wire and time it using #6 cylder as #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom