SOLD 76 FJ40 Pinstripes in LA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
No affiliation, this guy is buying and reselling. He just got this one in the inland empire for 15k and
now trying to sell it for $18k

He told the seller it was going to Hawaii

I called on this one when it was for sale in AZ a few weeks ago at $12k. I asked for pics of the engine compartment and could see that the air injectors, smog pump and other smog equipment was missing. Lost interest at that point as it would take a lot of parts gathering and be very difficult to get it smogged in Calif. I went down that rabbit hole a while ago with a ‘76 Bronco.
I saw in his ad that he says it has currently been smogged. If I were looking seriously at this fj, I’d look closely at all the required smog equipment and probably would pay for my own smog test prior to purchase.

I called on this one when it was for sale in AZ a few weeks ago at $12k. I asked for pics of the engine compartment and could see that the air injectors, smog pump and other smog equipment was missing. Lost interest at that point as it would take a lot of parts gathering and be very difficult to get it smogged in Calif. I went down that rabbit hole a while ago with a ‘76 Bronco.
I saw in his ad that he says it has currently been smogged. If I were looking seriously at this fj, I’d look closely at all the required smog equipment and probably would pay for my own smog test prior to purchase.
You sure it was AZ? If that's true then it was picked up twice, the guy I text was in Inland Empire in Cali.

FYI, there are a few places that will pass you on smog if your selling a vehicle - then the unsuspecting buyer is stuck at the end of year 2 wondering why it won't pass smog for them.
I was on the wrong end of that once. So this time, I had the PO of my 78 have the vehicle smogged by 2 different places before handing over my money to purchase. It doesn't guarantee it will pass in 2 years but it had ALL the emissions equipment so I'm way ahead of a de-smogged 40.

There is also places that will still do an illegal smog then you're screwed after the 2 years so I wouldn't trust a cert. really.

If it's being considered i'd pay to take it to a shop and have it done in person.

IMG_0888.jpg

You can obviously see the desmog caps on the carb and air cleaner! Sketchy.

White emissions sticker under the hood is a federal model, thermostat housing is non-California model.

And like others have said previously - the only thing left is the air rail, no smog parts to be seen. I assume that's why it's being flipped..........again

Impossible to sell that for $18k in CA

No affiliation, this guy is buying and reselling. He just got this one in the inland empire for 15k and
now trying to sell it for $18k

He told the seller it was going to Hawaii

Yeah, I saw that too. At first I thought the guy had decided to up his price...then realized, it was a new seller in a different location.

even the air rail is broken, no check valve or place for one for the input.
wonder what the bracket attached to the head was for?

I feel bad for the guy that picks it up and doesn't know enough. Nevada he could sell it, but he's flipping it so probably working on a budget to make money.

This guy lives down the street from me!
I saw the post and thought it’s a good project car. Once I saw under the hood and I noticed no smog Equipment and he is calling it “just Smogged” I shake my head. He is trying to pass it off as if it a complete car.
Run of your a CA resident.
He buys and sells cruisers.
be carful do not get stuck buying this truck in CA. It would be a bitch trying to get this thing smogged.

It is on offer up as well!
here is the smog certificate he posted for that truck.
numbers are quite low for a fully de smogged truck!
buyer beware

187BBD71-A6A3-4FC0-A2E5-7791CCD92789.png

I can't say I've ever seen a smog certificate before
I see a few things off in the above.
state of vehicle registration is Oregon
cert is only good for 90 days?
air injection passed even tho it isn't connected to anything
the EGR visual passed even tho it isn't there

I wonder if he paid the guy off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom