75 Series pickup cab roof information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to remove my cab top and install some Damplifier Pro and a new Headliner. The parts diagram shows 3 "silencer pads" under the headliner but doesn't give any part numbers (see link).

In feeling around on my headliner there is a small gap between the pads and the pads seem to be rather thick. It doesn't feel like jute; more like dense foam. I did some mud and general internet searching but cannot find a photo of a cab top with a pulled headliner to see what to expect when I pull the roof. I'm guessing these pads are not going to be reusable if I remove them to install the Damplifier Pro (which needs to go directly onto the underside of the top) so I'm further guessing I would need to replace them with something. Worse case I'll probably pull the headliner before I remove the top to see what I'm dealing with before going any further.

Anyone ever pulled the headliner to see what's lurking under there?

Last edited:
I have done a bit more research and I don't think I was interpreting that parts diagram properly. I think I was confusing the pickup headliner with the troopy headliner.....but I'm not sure. Of course if that's the case then it doesn't show a Silencer Pad at all????

Search on toyodiy.com, they have all parts number.
But, think the other drawing is for troppy 👉 hzj78

Search on toyodiy.com, they have all parts number.
But, think the other drawing is for troppy 👉 hzj78

Thanks; I've been in there. Same diagram. No number or description for the Silencer Pad(s).

Thanks; I've been in there. Same diagram. No number or description for the Silencer Pad(s).
This one doesn't work for you 👉 this.
i use Kenworth interior panel on my roof. This comes with a cardboard backing sheet. Isolates well 🥶

This one doesn't work for you 👉 this.
i use Kenworth interior panel on my roof. This comes with a cardboard backing sheet. Isolates well 🥶

I really appreciate you trying to be helpful but I don't think you read my first post correctly. I have a new headliner already. I want to know what is underneath the headliner before I remove the old headliner. I just need a photo or a description from someone that has already removed their headliner. Worse case I just remove the headliner and deal with it at that point.

On the 79s, there are maybe 4(maybe 6) flush push in fasteners that need to come out(2 over head and 4 in rear). The pillar coverings have to be removed(grab handles first). Rear interior light, rear view mirror. Once all that stuff is out, the headliner is kind of tucked in along the rubber seals of the windshield and the rear window. Comes out real easy. The 79s headliner is a pressed fiber-plastic-I-don't-know-what-material molded to the shape of the roof. It is only held in by the clips and the gaskets of the windows.

I wonder if your headliner isn't more like the Troopy? Just a glued in deal.....

Not sure about being an expert on anything.....

What does your new headliner look like @WarDamnEagle?

Partsouq shows a photo. Typical perforated vinyl over thin foam. Definitely glue in and it appears to be already cut to fit perfectly (e.g. corners are already clipped, etc.). It would just be nice to know what I'm going to encounter when I dive in but I could probably start with just pulling down a corner of the existing liner before bothering with removing the roof.

On the 79s, there are maybe 4(maybe 6) flush push in fasteners that need to come out(2 over head and 4 in rear). The pillar coverings have to be removed(grab handles first). Rear interior light, rear view mirror. Once all that stuff is out, the headliner is kind of tucked in along the rubber seals of the windshield and the rear window. Comes out real easy. The 79s headliner is a pressed fiber-plastic-I-don't-know-what-material molded to the shape of the roof. It is only held in by the clips and the gaskets of the windows.

I wonder if your headliner isn't more like the Troopy? Just a glued in deal.....

That sounds like my '97 80 headliner. I can actually see the edge of the headliner in places so I'm positive it's glued onto the "silencer pad" material. Unfortunately the Damplifier needs to go on the metal so it will all have to come out, one way or another.

My paint guy just removed and threw away my old roof since I had a new one. I had him install the piece you have new, I bought that same piece. Before he installed it he put down some kind of sound deadening pads. I kind of doubt that any kind sound deadening pads where installed back in the 80’s🤷‍♂️

I really appreciate you trying to be helpful but I don't think you read my first post correctly. I have a new headliner already. I want to know what is underneath the headliner before I remove the old headliner. I just need a photo or a description from someone that has already removed their headliner. Worse case I just remove the headliner and deal with it at that point.
mmm.. yeah, you only the pad, glue and metal... the 3 pad you see are from troopy...
There is no mystery with the tapestry

Ok well maybe it's not as thick as it feels. That would actually be good news. Lay some Damplifier, maybe smooth some spots out with Spectrum, and glue the headliner.

Edit: Now that I consider the "gaps" that I was feeling, those are probably the creases in the roof of the cab.

The biggest part will be cleaning off all the old glue but it's just a small area so nothing too crazy like the full roof of a troopy. Just make sure you know your 'boundaries' of where the pad fits so if you do put some spectrum in, you don't take it beyond the headliner. Should make a nice change with some sound deadening up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom