74 FJ40 Rough Running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 FJ40 that wont run and if I can get it to run it idles really rough and wont let me accelerate to higher rpms without dying or backfiring. It is acting like it jumped time but is that even possible with timing gears? I can turn the crank a significant amount before the rotor in the distributor moves. It has lots of blowby and the lowest cylinder is 90psi. The carb idle screw rpm adjustment is all the way in just to keep it running if it does run. Its an autolite carb that has been gone through. Any ideas of what this could be?

Just a WAG, but I’d say your distributor is in the process of seizing up. I had one do this on my FJ45 about 5 years ago. Timing light confirmed it. New distributor fixed it.

More info: I can grab the plastic fan up front and turn the whole engine all the way around with not much effort. New points which are giving good signal to the coil, coil is firing to distributor cap which is also new, sometimes my timing light wont pick up a signal on wires though. Newer plugs.

Check the valve clearances.
I don't think you should be able to turn the engine over by hand.

OP hasn’t been seen in a month. :meh:

No way you could turn the engine over using the fan-even with all the plugs out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom