'73 FJ55 normal operating Temp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone I had a quick question regarding my truck. I've had a little problem with it running a little hot and with summer around the corner I was wondering about a couple of things. 1. My truck's gauge reaches the 3rd line up a d sometimes a little over (between the H line and the 3/4 temp line). Is that normal? 2. Should I just take the thermo off and run it without the thermostat? why or why not?

Thanks everyone
Herbert818@hotmail.com

Don't trust the facto gauges. Install a mechanical gauge, I use Autometer. Mine runs about 180*-190* with a stock radiator and a 180* thermostat, shroud, clutch fan and oil cooler.

82°C is where mine is normally at.. Its approacing boiling point at the 3/4 line.. When the guage reads full things are really hot.. Normal is indicated at the first line, 1/4.. This is in my hard top.. My soft top has an aftermarket gauge in there, it reads 82° all day long.. It has all stock cooling parts.

The thermostat is there for a reason, leave it there.. If you suspect its faulty, test it..

My soft top PO had taken the thermostat out, it wouldnt get up to proper operating temperature, only ever got to 45-50°.. I took the fan out completely and drove it about.. Idling it would overheat and on the highway it would overcool.. You need some sort of fan there, my vote goes for stock.

X2 in addition oil flows a lot better when it is at its optimal temp......around 180 F; good idea on the aftermarket temp gauge to get a reliable reading of what is going on...HTH:cheers:

Lou

82°C is where mine is normally at.. Its approacing boiling point at the 3/4 line.. When the guage reads full things are really hot.. Normal is indicated at the first line, 1/4.. This is in my hard top.. My soft top has an aftermarket gauge in there, it reads 82° all day long.. It has all stock cooling parts.

The thermostat is there for a reason, leave it there.. If you suspect its faulty, test it..

My soft top PO had taken the thermostat out, it wouldnt get up to proper operating temperature, only ever got to 45-50°.. I took the fan out completely and drove it about.. Idling it would overheat and on the highway it would overcool.. You need some sort of fan there, my vote goes for stock.

Thanks for the info guys...Its just a little frustrating because I changed the thermo and flushed the radiator and it still overheats...not sure what the next step would be...new radiator??

I'm probably gonna get verbally slapped for the stupid question, but here goes:

I've been wanting to get a cable-driven temp gauge, but wasn't sure where to slap it on - I know there are two sensors, one red, one black - can I just replace either of these, or do they affect something else? for mostly aesthetic reasons, I'd like to have the original gauge working still too. So how do I get all three attached?

thanks

Thanks for the info guys...Its just a little frustrating because I changed the thermo and flushed the radiator and it still overheats...not sure what the next step would be...new radiator??

First, I would make sure that it really is overheating...get a real temp gauge, one that has numbers on it.

My answer would depend on what year vehicle and what engine and if you run an oil cooler or not and if you still have an emissions "computer" or not...

I'm probably gonna get verbally slapped for the stupid question, but here goes:

I've been wanting to get a cable-driven temp gauge, but wasn't sure where to slap it on - I know there are two sensors, one red, one black - can I just replace either of these, or do they affect something else? for mostly aesthetic reasons, I'd like to have the original gauge working still too. So how do I get all three attached?

thanks

for example...I ran it for about 5 miles on the freeway and it seemed fine but when I was exiting I noticed that the needle started to climb. I pulled over and let it rest for a few mins...when I started it back up it shot all the way up and stayed between the H and the 3rd line at idle. I just ordered a 160 degree thermo...hope that helps it. should I install another fan?

IMO; put in a "real" temp gauge that will give you an accurate temp; the original toyota one is better than an idiot light BUT it is better at detecting trends than in giving you an accurate temp; you need to have a honest baseline IMO before changing things out...........just my 0.02 HTH

Lou

for example...I ran it for about 5 miles on the freeway and it seemed fine but when I was exiting I noticed that the needle started to climb. I pulled over and let it rest for a few mins...when I started it back up it shot all the way up and stayed between the H and the 3rd line at idle. I just ordered a 160 degree thermo...hope that helps it. should I install another fan?

Those symptoms are typical of my externally blocked radiator problem..

First, I would make sure that it really is overheating...get a real temp gauge, one that has numbers on it.

IMO; put in a "real" temp gauge that will give you an accurate temp; the original toyota one is better than an idiot light BUT it is better at detecting trends than in giving you an accurate temp; you need to have a honest baseline IMO before changing things out...........just my 0.02 HTH

Lou

Absolutely! And you can do it without altering the factory gauge or sender. There is an extra port on the head for a mechanical sender. Should cost less than $50 for a quality gauge and it will also tell you if your factory gauge is lying to you;)

Ed

EDIT: This is the one I use......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
A little more than I paid 3 years ago

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom