'73 FJ 40 Max HP axels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redmanfj40

'73 w/383
Threads
Finally completing my rig. Have a 5 speed nvr4500 going in and was wondering what are the max's on horsepower/torque the axles can take. Reading up posts the nvr seems to take 500hp without problem, as long as few 4x4 launches. Currently looking at 400ci bored to 408 small black that kick close to 500 hp and torque. Yea...it's overkill but should be fun as hell.

Will the axles hold up? Any thoughts would be appreciated

I have no problem breaking stock axles with a 2f (now 3fe ). Traction and tire size has a bit more to do with how much they can take . I would have to say that upgrading to larger/stronger axles might be more suited to those hp numbers . 14 bolt and a Dana 60 would probably be a better starting point . Overall vehicle weight plays a big part in the equation as well .

I'd worry more about having that much horsepower in a short wheelbase vehicle. Not exactly a recipe for stability and control!

never broken any front axles with various gen1/gen11 350's, broke quite a few birfs until I changed to longfield supersets about 10 years ago, have broken 2x rear full floater axles that have sheared at the flange, my fj75 with a 6.0 LQ4 is used for towing my 40 on a trailer and doesn't break anything

The moral... you can break any axles. If driven with some caution, they'll be fine.

I have no problem breaking stock axles with a 2f (now 3fe ). Traction and tire size has a bit more to do with how much they can take . I would have to say that upgrading to larger/stronger axles might be more suited to those hp numbers . 14 bolt and a Dana 60 would probably be a better starting point . Overall vehicle weight plays a big part in the equation as well .
Thank you.

I have had many v8 cruisers with various hp and tire sizes - including a 500hp 383 on 44s. All had stock non floater axles - never broke one - even with spinning the 44s on pavement. The full floater axles neck down at the outer end by the bearings and don't seem to handle the torque as well as the semi floaters. I don't think you are going to gain much with a Dana 60 rear plus then you have the with issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom