73/74 no top back doors question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What might be my dumb 73/74 question of the week. I was wondering how many of you drive around with the FRP top off and the back doors still on? Will the full doors act too much like a sail with the FRP top off? Has anyone had issues doing that? I have a 3b so the fastest its going is limited highway speeds, haha.

I've searched for a bit for a spare set of doors to make half doors, but haven't had much luck. I know a bed net would be an option as well, but I like having the spare and the license plate in the factory location. My current (with the top off) spare mount isn't the most ideal.

1694127161757.png

I’d hate to know the price on those

I bought new upper removeable frames for mine and I think those were about $150 each. Not bad. They had to come out of Japan and the shipping was double the price of the parts.

I want to say the door assemblies were about $650 each (half doors) and shipping was about $890 each....

I wanted spare door assemblies for posterity as my s***box 70 is my forever s***box.

I like what @Behemoth60 did here....

I bought new upper removeable frames for mine and I think those were about $150 each. Not bad. They had to come out of Japan and the shipping was double the price of the parts.

I want to say the door assemblies were about $650 each (half doors) and shipping was about $890 each....

I wanted spare door assemblies for posterity as my s***box 70 is my forever s***box.

That shipping! Ouch!

Great info, thanks sir. Sbox4L!

Well that is good to know they are still out there. Rough on the price, but that is the 70 tax too I guess. Also that box gate Behemoth60 has is sweet.

In the mean time anyone had issues with the full doors and no top? I dont want to bend the top of the frames or the hinges.

Well that is good to know they are still out there. Rough on the price, but that is the 70 tax too I guess. Also that box gate Behemoth60 has is sweet.

In the mean time anyone had issues with the full doors and no top? I dont want to bend the top of the frames or the hinges.
Personally I wouldn’t leave the doors on with the top off. I’m not sure if it would cause a problem but it could cause stress cracks at the welds where the frames meet the bottom 1/2. Probably won’t happen but just in case.

Truck net cheapest
Build a box like behemoth

Last edited:
Lol… It wasn’t planned, but I’ve been driving mine for a couple of years with the rear doors in place, no apparent issues. Aero drag? Probably.

Now that my soft top is here, it is time to address it so the rear is open. 1/2 doors, or maybe modify a 79 series tail gate to fit…

If you just want cheap because you're going to modify them anyway and these are not your primary doors, maybe consider some Chinese reproduction ones. I have no personal experience with them....

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 1.56.57 PM.png

If you just want cheap because you're going to modify them anyway and these are not your primary doors, maybe consider some Chinese reproduction ones. I have no personal experience with them....

View attachment 3423635
Is that $150 for both doors? What the…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom