72' hood help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JustJay

SILVER Star
Threads
In the midst of reassembling my 72' after paint and spent the day putting front fenders, bib, grill, hood, etc. on. Running into some trouble with some of the hardware fitting on the hood.

1. The hold spacing for the windshield rests don't seem right. The spacing on these holes is 2 1/8" O.C. not the typical 2" O.C. that I'm seeing everywhere else in this era. Anyone have any idea why that would be or if there is a good work around? Other than drilling new holes? We had the paint stripped all the way down to metal and there was no sign of any holes being plugged or drilled in the wrong spots or anything. Seems odd to me.

2. Anyone know why this hood doesn't have the 2 holds for the spring loaded windshield hold downs? Again, no sign of them being taken off. Seems like all other hoods I'm seeing have these triangular holds? Am I missing something? Again, is there a work around since my hood doesn't have them? I don't want those metal hold downs bouncing around the hood.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the history of this 40 but I have no reason to think that the hood is not stock. Seems to have the original sticker on the underside and had the same paint color layers when sanding paint off .
IMG_7530.JPG
IMG_7528.JPG
IMG_7529.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG
tempImage78zeBH.png

Well, never fails! As soon as I post, I keep researching and answer my own question(s). Duh. Looks like it is a different style of windshield pads with combo clasps. Now I just have to find those parts....

Thanks Brian. Agreed. I think that’s what threw me. Looks like I may throw the matching hardware year on it. I know it could create issues if I were to drive with windshield down but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Save that challenge for the future me.

What year is on the sticker?
IMG_20181111_115745429.jpg

The 1/75-8/76 is different than the later style. Later has a lip in the front middle section to stiffen the center

You guys crack me up. Spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars rebuilding a great truck in a lovely big workshop with even a wood burning stove, but you can't invest in a metric tape measure for a metric truck?
Haha

You guys crack me up. Spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars rebuilding a great truck in a lovely big workshop with even a wood burning stove, but you can't invest in a metric tape measure for a metric truck?
Haha
Guilty as charged. Actually, I've got one a mere few steps away in the garage. But, as a full-time carpenter, I'm too used to having my standard tape measure attached to my hip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom