For Sale 72 FJ40 Project Vehicle, San Diego, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1972 FJ40 project that I need to get rid of. I purchased it as a nearly complete stock FJ40 with minimal rust. My intention was to restore it to like new, close to stock condition. Unfortunately I can’t complete the project any time soon so I am looking for someone who wants to pick up where I left off. I have all of the receipts and hundreds, maybe thousands, of pictures documenting every step of the work.

Here is what has been done so far.

I have restored the frame and drivetrain and have a complete running, rolling chassis:

- Frame stripped to bare metal, epoxy primed, and painted with an industrial matte black paint that is used to paint the chassis on Caterpillar heavy machinery.

- Engine rebuilt by top FJ engine rebuilder in Portland area $4000.

- New radiator, water pump, electronic distributor, starter, and solenoid.

- New motor mounts

- Transmission and transfer case rebuilt

- Drive shafts and axles stripped to bare metal, epoxy primed, and painted

- New U joints

- New tie rod ends

- Rebuilt steering box

- Converted to disc brakes using a 76 FJ40 donor axle and all new disc brake parts

- New Warn hubs

- New back brake pads

- New shocks

- Brand new KO2 BFGs on new stock steel wheels including spare

- Lift Kit

- New front bumper and rear bumperettes, new tail lights

- All new hoses. New wiring to back of chassis

- All hardware (bolts and nuts) replaced with new stainless or galv depending on location

- New body mount kit

I probably forgot something. Basically most parts that wear out have been replaced. I used OEM parts whenever they were available. The engine has been broken in and will start right up and purrs like a kitten, but you can’t drive it because the clutch and brakes aren’t hooked up.

I started on the body, and I am about 75% finished with everything to get it ready for paint. Every painted piece was stripped to bare metal, all rust damage was repaired and metalwork was done to get all panels as straight as possible. Then all panels were washed with phosphoric acid to convert any rust in the metal pores. All of the body panels were skim coated with 2-3 rounds of body filler to further straighten and then painted with 3 coats of epoxy primer. The next step is 2-4 rounds of high build primer to get the panels perfectly straight, and then sand to 320 grit for paint. About 2/3 of the body panels are finished and ready for paint, the other 1/3 are in epoxy primer with the first coat of high build primer sprayed but no sanding done yet. I have easily 500 hours into the body so far, and a good body and paint guy could finish up in probably 40-50 hours.

I started this project in Oregon, and have since moved to San Diego. To move the project I mounted the tub (which is ready for paint) to the rolling chassis and shipped it down. I then built 3 big wood crates on casters and packed all of the rest of the body panels and glass into the crates with foam packing. The rest of the FJ is in 6 plastic totes, except for the seats which are separate. I have front bucket seats from a 76 FJ and all of the appropriate mounting brackets (new), to mount them. I also have the original rear bench seats. Seats need to be reupholstered. I have all of the original remaining pieces from everything that mounts to the inside of the engine compartment, most interior pieces, hardtop, and exterior trim pieces. I also have the original chrome rear hatch stays in pretty good condition (which are hard to find), and original indoor door pulls which are almost impossible to find for a 72. My original plan was to replace almost everything inside and outside trim with new OEM, but you could reuse the old parts if you wanted. I also have a new complete correct tool kit, original jack, and reproduction tool roll. Only thing that will be challenging to fix is the windshield wiper assembly which has a bad reed switch. I also threw away all of the old hardware (nuts, bolts, etc) so that will all need to be replaced.

I have about $15,000 into this project. If you want to finish it with all new OEM parts it will run you somewhere around $7000 plus paint. I know taking on something like this in the middle of a restoration is risky, so I am selling it for $8000. So for a total about $20k investment you would have an excellent condition, mostly brand new, mostly stock with convenience upgrades 1972 FJ40 that is probably worth twice that.

I have included a few pictures of the original FJ and the restoration. I can provide more pictures on request, and the buyer will get all pictures and receipts documenting the restoration to date. It is currently licensed in Oregon and I have a clear title in hand.

upload_2019-1-8_12-59-43.png

upload_2019-1-8_13-0-6.png

upload_2019-1-8_13-0-26.png

upload_2019-1-8_13-3-5.png

upload_2019-1-8_13-3-21.png

Some assembly required. Who do you recommend in Portland for engine rebuilds?

Bearing Service company. All of the commercial FJ rebuilders in the Portland area use them to rebuild their engines. They've been doing it since the Land cruisers were brand new. They go the extra mile upgrading the main bearing seats to take the newer locking seats, and they machined my engine so they could use a newer oil pump since the 72 oil pumps aren't available brand new anymore.

Thank you. GLWS. Wish it were all back in Portland, but then I'd have to find a new GF.

how is the fiber glass roof cap? was that restored as well?

Congrats:cheers:
I have a 1972 FJ40 project that I need to get rid of. I purchased it as a nearly complete stock FJ40 with minimal rust. My intention was to restore it to like new, close to stock condition. Unfortunately I can’t complete the project any time soon so I am looking for someone who wants to pick up where I left off. I have all of the receipts and hundreds, maybe thousands, of pictures documenting every step of the work.

Here is what has been done so far.

I have restored the frame and drivetrain and have a complete running, rolling chassis:

- Frame stripped to bare metal, epoxy primed, and painted with an industrial matte black paint that is used to paint the chassis on Caterpillar heavy machinery.

- Engine rebuilt by top FJ engine rebuilder in Portland area $4000.

- New radiator, water pump, electronic distributor, starter, and solenoid.

- New motor mounts

- Transmission and transfer case rebuilt

- Drive shafts and axles stripped to bare metal, epoxy primed, and painted

- New U joints

- New tie rod ends

- Rebuilt steering box

- Converted to disc brakes using a 76 FJ40 donor axle and all new disc brake parts

- New Warn hubs

- New back brake pads

- New shocks

- Brand new KO2 BFGs on new stock steel wheels including spare

- Lift Kit

- New front bumper and rear bumperettes, new tail lights

- All new hoses. New wiring to back of chassis

- All hardware (bolts and nuts) replaced with new stainless or galv depending on location

- New body mount kit

I probably forgot something. Basically most parts that wear out have been replaced. I used OEM parts whenever they were available. The engine has been broken in and will start right up and purrs like a kitten, but you can’t drive it because the clutch and brakes aren’t hooked up.

I started on the body, and I am about 75% finished with everything to get it ready for paint. Every painted piece was stripped to bare metal, all rust damage was repaired and metalwork was done to get all panels as straight as possible. Then all panels were washed with phosphoric acid to convert any rust in the metal pores. All of the body panels were skim coated with 2-3 rounds of body filler to further straighten and then painted with 3 coats of epoxy primer. The next step is 2-4 rounds of high build primer to get the panels perfectly straight, and then sand to 320 grit for paint. About 2/3 of the body panels are finished and ready for paint, the other 1/3 are in epoxy primer with the first coat of high build primer sprayed but no sanding done yet. I have easily 500 hours into the body so far, and a good body and paint guy could finish up in probably 40-50 hours.

I started this project in Oregon, and have since moved to San Diego. To move the project I mounted the tub (which is ready for paint) to the rolling chassis and shipped it down. I then built 3 big wood crates on casters and packed all of the rest of the body panels and glass into the crates with foam packing. The rest of the FJ is in 6 plastic totes, except for the seats which are separate. I have front bucket seats from a 76 FJ and all of the appropriate mounting brackets (new), to mount them. I also have the original rear bench seats. Seats need to be reupholstered. I have all of the original remaining pieces from everything that mounts to the inside of the engine compartment, most interior pieces, hardtop, and exterior trim pieces. I also have the original chrome rear hatch stays in pretty good condition (which are hard to find), and original indoor door pulls which are almost impossible to find for a 72. My original plan was to replace almost everything inside and outside trim with new OEM, but you could reuse the old parts if you wanted. I also have a new complete correct tool kit, original jack, and reproduction tool roll. Only thing that will be challenging to fix is the windshield wiper assembly which has a bad reed switch. I also threw away all of the old hardware (nuts, bolts, etc) so that will all need to be replaced.

I have about $15,000 into this project. If you want to finish it with all new OEM parts it will run you somewhere around $7000 plus paint. I know taking on something like this in the middle of a restoration is risky, so I am selling it for $8000. So for a total about $20k investment you would have an excellent condition, mostly brand new, mostly stock with convenience upgrades 1972 FJ40 that is probably worth twice that.

I have included a few pictures of the original FJ and the restoration. I can provide more pictures on request, and the buyer will get all pictures and receipts documenting the restoration to date. It is currently licensed in Oregon and I have a clear title in hand.

View attachment 1873913

View attachment 1873914

View attachment 1873916

View attachment 1873921

View attachment 1873922

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom