'72 FJ40 Liftgate Struts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have an update on which strut part # fits in the 71's?

First, I need to thank you for bringing this thread back up. Recently I tried to find this thread because of info and pics I took of my strut mod saga , but no luck.

I have a 71 and was tired of problems with my struts. Posts # 22, 26, 27, 29, and 35 chronicle what I did, and provide pics.

The gas strut that I think you are referring to is NAPA #819-5565. I personally was not satisfied with this strut. The lift capacity was too much for me, and it didn't lift the hatch high enough for me. Maybe using a single gas strut in only one of the stock struts, and leaving the other empty, will work if lift height is not an issue for you. I ended up using NAPA # 819-5519, a 60 lb capacity strut. A 40 lb capacity strut may be an even better suited item. But, you need to know that it will not fit inside the original strut as it will be too long.

Read back in this thread and see what you think of the different options.

Don

I have ordered these & picking up from the mainland next week. Based on their measurements, they should fit...the current NAPA's don't on a 01/1973

AdventureRV.NET
2 x Gas Spring 50Lb 17" Ext 10.25" Comp W/Plastic Ends (S117-311382) = $21.58

I purchased the napa strut but found that the napa strut tube diameter was too large to fit inside the smaller of the two housings. Anyone else?

72' 40

2 years later...
I was working on this mod yesterday. Did those that had fitment problems get it sorted out?
I went confidently into State RV supply armed with all the details of what I needed.
I ran into fitment issues however. The gas struts I can find are all 15 mm diameter out tube (the links provided even list a 15mm outer diameter)
The small tube of my OEM spring shocks (from a '74) has an outer diameter of ~15mm. The inner diameter is more like ~13mm. Seems like 50% of people that try this mod can't get it to fit. I wonder if there are slightly different diameter spring struts.

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread for 2023.
As others have found the Napa #819-5565 is different from the GSNI-5200-50. The 5200 is 15mm in diameter, the Napa part is 18mm. Just enough to not work.

I looked at the RV place folks mentioned and couldn't stomach the $10 shipping. Turns out they have them on Amazon: https://a.co/d/5tc48KZ $13.78 a piece.

For those of you who haven't followed all the steps, here you go.
Remove, disassemble, and clean the strut. Remove the spring. The new piston will replace it.
Thread the spacer with a 6mm x 1.0 tap and screw it onto the strut.
Cut the plastic off the gas piston end of the strut.
Test the length and cut the spacer down so the whole assembly fits inside the strut.
Cut the spacer to length. These are the two ends. The spacer marked for cutting.
20230818_Strut Ends.jpg

Here is the assembly ready for reassembly, the spring is shown for comparison.
20230818_Strut Disassembled.jpg

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly except for the spring. It is not used.

Reattach the strut to the door and frame and get going on the other strut. Here is the opening action. I am 5'7" tall, so it opens enough. You'll see me flex the door, but it is at max height. Even if you could open it higher, I think it would hit the rain gutter on the roof.

Hope this helps folks looking to preserve the original struts. I'll get them bead blasted at some point.

Cheers.

As others have found the Napa #819-5565 is different from the GSNI-5200-50. The 5200 is 15mm in diameter, the Napa part is 18mm. Just enough to not work.

I looked at the RV place folks mentioned and couldn't stomach the $10 shipping. Turns out they have them on Amazon: https://a.co/d/5tc48KZ $13.78 a piece.

Remove, disassemble, and clean the strut. Remove the spring. The new piston will replace it.
Test the length and cut the spacer down so the whole assembly fits inside the strut.
Cut the spacer to length. These are the two ends. The spacer marked for cutting.
View attachment 3404593

View attachment 3404596

Reattach the strut to the door and frame and get going on the other strut. Here is the opening action. I am 5'7" tall, so it opens enough. You'll see me flex the door, but it is at max height. Even if you could open it higher, I think it would hit the rain gutter on the roof.

Hope this helps folks looking to preserve the original struts. I'll get them bead blasted at some point.

Cheers.

Very nice job.

Cheers.

Very cool. I saved mine and may try to refurbish at some point. I just threw these on and they work great.

This one-banana is now at two bunches and climbing....

@MatthewMcD I'm following your directions and can't get the hatch to close more than this:

IMG_0379 copy.jpg

I don't really understand the mechanism, so am banging my head a bit. The one deviation I made was accidentally drilling through the white plastic spacer (didn't have the perfect size bit) so it isn't screwed onto the strut; the end of the strut goes to the end of the spacer, and the spacer slides up and down the strut. Would that cause the issue?

This one-banana is now at two bunches and climbing....

@MatthewMcD I'm following your directions and can't get the hatch to close more than this:

View attachment 3467885

I don't really understand the mechanism, so am banging my head a bit. The one deviation I made was accidentally drilling through the white plastic spacer (didn't have the perfect size bit) so it isn't screwed onto the strut; the end of the strut goes to the end of the spacer, and the spacer slides up and down the strut. Would that cause the issue?
I had to cut my spacer down, nearly in half to get it to retract far enough. I suspect you are still a bit too long. Can you reassemble the other one to original condition and compare the retracted length? I would think without the spacer it'll run too short not too long. You can probably thread a nut onto the strut that will keep the spacer from running up the rod.

I had to cut my spacer down, nearly in half to get it to retract far enough. I suspect you are still a bit too long. Can you reassemble the other one to original condition and compare the retracted length? I would think without the spacer it'll run too short not too long. You can probably thread a nut onto the strut that will keep the spacer from running up the rod.
I would think it would run too short as well, thus my confusion. I'll try to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom