72 FJ40 F-engine issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently aquired a 1972 FJ40 with the original F engine and took it out for an extended test drive yesterday. Unfortunately I had to be towed home.... I was driving along at around 60 mph when the engine just shut down. I am able to start it but as soon as the starter is off it dies again. I don't know alot about the history of the vehicle but it does have electronic ignition and a weber 36 dgec carburetor. I checked the fuel pump and lines/filter and all are clear. Anyone have any ideas?

Carb is getting gas. Spark & ignition coil are good. Didn't check grounds. It's a wiring nightmare in the engine compartment and under the dash. Any hints on which to check first?

Check to see if you have power to the coil with the key on. Depending on how it is wired you may have ignition while cranking and lose it when you release the key. Had an old Dodge that did that intermittently-- very frustrating :mad: and hard to get running!

Interesting. I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Hard to imagine that happening when driving. I suspect that would then point to the actual ignition switch? Or is there some other relay somewhere?

I ran into a starter problem once. The key would not activate the starter. Had power at the fuse box and at the switch. It ended up being a bad wire in the harness itself (about 6 inches from the fuse block connector)under about 10 wraps of original harness tape. Hard problem to find. Voltage was there, but the original factory splice couldn't handle the amperage. I suggest you run a jumper wire to the distributor to insure proper voltage, then crank over.

the wire to the starter actually fell off once when my truck bounced while wheeling :steer:

Yeah, on mine it was the switch that would lose connection to the ignition while cranking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom