72 build wiring ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on the wiring of my 72 build project. I need to source some wire for the various systems. I don't really want to buy a complete harness, just some runs of wire. I can't find anybody that just sells color coded wire. I'd like to stay with Toyota colors. Thanks

Sorry, don't know why my picture didn't post. So, I'll tryer again!!!
paint pct.JPG

I have a cut up harness. What exactly do you need?

Ed

Degnol, Thanks for the reply. I am integrating the harness from my 72 to the fuse panel and steering wheel from a 94 4Runner. I've got my old harness which is complete, but with the new systems I'm adding will require more wire. I'd like to maintain the color coding for the new stuff so it wouldn't be so hard to figure out in the future. I'm thinking there should be some source for color coded wire. I suppose if push comes to shove that I'll just continue to canibalize the 94 donar vehicle. What year is your harness. I know I could use some connectors as I've updated the tail lights to post 74. Thanks again :)

'lad, I have had to modify my wiring harness several times and I just cut off a length of the original color coded wire, splice in what length I need with the appropriate sized wire and then solder on the color coded piece I removed. I have several harnesses so you can let me know what connectors you need.

Ed

You don't happen to have a couple of these laying around do ya? :D
connector.JPG

I'll check tomorrow night. Don't know if I have the rear harness or not.

Ed

Thanks Ed, If you got em I'll take em. Just let me know what ya want for em. It is the female side six pin connector. I'm sure is for a 74 and up that use the rectangular tail lights.

Chaunce :)

Thanks Ed, If you got em I'll take em. Just let me know what ya want for em. It is the female side six pin connector. I'm sure is for a 74 and up that use the rectangular tail lights.

Unplug that thing and take a pic of the harness side(Plug). I'll check tomorrow.

Ed

Ed, the picture I sent is the best I can do. Although I have the harness side it is for the 72 tail lights. The wires plugged in are a temp move on my part so I can flat tow it (trailer wiring). Go ahead and see what ya got and let me know. Thanks again!

Ed, the picture I sent is the best I can do. Although I have the harness side it is for the 72 tail lights. The wires plugged in are a temp move on my part so I can flat tow it (trailer wiring). Go ahead and see what ya got and let me know. Thanks again!

Then send or post a pic of the turn signal side of the plug.

Ed

Ed, just shot these picts. That is all there is to it. Turn signal is in the housing and they all (bulbs) common to the six pin male plug. HTH

Chaunce
tail light1.jpg
tail light2.jpg
tail light3.jpg

I would personally cut those off and install a 6 pin Weather-Pak connector from Waytek Wire : Electrical Wiring Supplies & Industrial Products

Tower -half part # 38049 need 2
Shroud half part # 38048 need 2
Cable seals part # 39000 need 12 (for 18-16 ga wire)
Male terminal part # 31034 (16-14 ga wire)
Female terminal part # 31035 (16-14 ga wire)

Be aware that Waytek has minimum quanties, you can't just order what I posted :frown:

Come to think of it, I may have some of these. I could assemble you a couple of connector kits, enough to do your rear lights if your interested? I'll check tonight to see if I do...

I would personally cut those off and install a 6 pin Weather-Pak connector from Waytek Wire : Electrical Wiring Supplies & Industrial Products

Tower -half part # 38049 need 2
Shroud half part # 38048 need 2
Cable seals part # 39000 need 12 (for 18-16 ga wire)
Male terminal part # 31034 (16-14 ga wire)
Female terminal part # 31035 (16-14 ga wire)

Be aware that Waytek has minimum quanties, you can't just order what I posted :frown:

Come to think of it, I may have some of these. I could assemble you a couple of connector kits, enough to do your rear lights if your interested? I'll check tonight to see if I do...

Coolerman, could you post a link to the parts you are referring to bc I have been to the Waytekwire site before and they have so much stuff it is hard to know what and where to look. thanks

edit, duh, you gave me the part numbers. stupid me.

Last edited:
Chauncey, here is a pic of what I have....
Connectors 001.jpg
Connectors 002.jpg

Note that the new lamp housings are later 75 and up that are incompatible with the '72 wiring unless you want to run just the red bulbs for turn and brake and leave the yellow ones disconnected. Alternatively, you could use a 4 wire to 5 wire trailer converter. The plugs are not compatible either.

Coolerman, have you used the connectors from Waytek to build a harness before? or just patch? I was thinking it would be nice to take my old harness and have it unplug at certain sections using these specialty connectors but may be way to difficult?

I have used these many times to build accessory harnesses for my Nissan buddies and currently have the 6 pin connectors on my 74 tailights installed in my 74 rear bumper, installed on my 71 FJ40! :grinpimp:

It would be very easy to use these to make disconnects for your harness. They are a very robust connectors and can be assembled with common hand tools.

I just sent Cruiserlad enough connectors to do his rear lights and other things. ;)

Note that the new lamp housings are later 75 and up that are incompatible with the '72 wiring unless you want to run just the red bulbs for turn and brake and leave the yellow ones disconnected. Alternatively, you could use a 4 wire to 5 wire trailer converter. The plugs are not compatible either.

True, but it's super easy to make the mods to the harness to run the later lights on the early Cruisers. Go here to see what you need to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom