72’ “Black and Tan” 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great color choice. Nice job turning the negative into a positive. I have a 72 that I have been working on and your fj40 has given me some inspiration. I think I will have to get a nice top for it so I can use it in the winter as well as summer.

Nice work! I like the color combo! What are your plans for the hard top?

Good job! I saw your cruiser on another thread and it gave me the courage to pull the trigger on a rattle can paint job. I used the same paint and color and am surprised how tough it is.:cheers:

anyone know of a good matte finish black smooth anti-rust coverage? POR-15? I've currently got a good solid floor with a nice patina.

A buddy of mine does VW dune-buggy builds and uses this stuff called Raptor Liner. Its a spray in bedliner, the kit comes w/ a spray gun so if you have a compressor you are all set. I have herculiner on a truck of mine and this stuff looks way better than the roll on ****.

Sweet build the pics have sold me on the black steelies w/ 33X10.5s.

-C

Great post!

Man this is great! I just knew this was headed for a very bad ending from post one. I figured you mis-heard the guy when you heard 95% frame off resto - he said 95% frame rust through! Now I'm convinced you are an eternal optimist and it has paid off big time. You've done a great job and I love that you stuck with the F engine for your early model FJ40. I would love to see the previous owners face if you were able to find his house and cheerfully wave as you drive by. Very Cool.

nick,
the top looks great on your ride. I am glad it went to a great looking rig.
Gary

Thanks! It's slumming it on my rig now, not near as nice as yours.

Here it is in it's natural habitat

0d7bef21.jpg

1a0a9a08.jpg

81404f9a.jpg

52ca1615.jpg

Everybody needs a "learn to weld" adventure trailer for their beach base camp

15b0378d.jpg

d1109f69.jpg

What brand paint / color code did you use?
Any painting tips?

its rust-oleum flat khaki, spray it on, wheel it, repeat. its really tough and you cant argue with the price.

Rust-Oleum-1917830-rw-204758-313671.jpg

Breaking News!

baby on the way, and the wife says "two kids + a baby = 80 not 40" looks like the clock is ticking, I've got less than 9 months to get this thing sold or traded for something safer with 3 rows.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/584858-72-fj40-your-80-baby-way.html

I had planned on putting off bodywork until after beach season, but looks like its got to happen. pulling all the old carpet and insulation uncovered some pretty impressive bodywork by the PO...

Phase Two to follow

plans include gutting the interior and using Eastwood's POR-15 floor and trunk kit

http://www.por15.com/images/FPTRK_floorpankit_300.jpg

im planning on using their UV resistant top coat in a matte black. the cage tie-ins will get burned in (still on the fence about the hip bars) i originally planned on doing the hip bars and building a seat cradle for some nice aftermarket seats, but i fell in love with the stock bench.

I had to make some room for my new spare drive train, $42.53 later. 580 lbs!! yikes. It took me all day to get the tranny/TC off of this motor but now I've got three of them on the shelf, just in case.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/nickswan/33f116bd.jpg

the rig is starting, running, and driving so damn well now that i have no intention of swapping for the new drive train any time soon, unless the buyer wants it installed it will likely sit on the shelf.

Auction ends at 9:00PM EST tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom