70 series newbie...which diesel engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great advice from @MyCruiserisaHogBeast

I too own a BJ74. I bought mine needing the engine to be rebuilt (300k miles, hose blew on free-way and blew the headgasket) I opted to fully rebuild it.
Down to a bare block rebuild, I was able to get all parts I needed for a full rebuild: pistons, sleeves, gaskets, bearings, seals, etc so it's not quite as scary as you think if you need parts to rebuild.

You however won't find a block/head/camshaft/crank, intake/exhaust, grid heaters lots of things like that new. You can find them used though with some searching but it's nothing like being able to find EVERY part for a 1HZ.

My Vote:
1HZ - again, great engine, parts availability however a bit sluggish in some of the Troopy or heavier models. In HZJ73, it would be fine.

then:
13BT - Excellent little tractor motor, Factory direct injected turbo diesel, (don't confuse these at all with the 2LT/2LTE engines) mine runs excellent, no timing belt, moves fairly quick for a cruiser hoping to not have to worry about it for a long time, SIMPLE SIMPLE to work on, easy to turn up boost/fuel/intercool to get good power.
3B - underpowered, but can be turbo'd, parts availability issues, not as bad as the 13BT though.

I guess my point on the 13BT is, unless you really trash a 13BT/3B they can be rebuilt as basically all parts needed for a full rebuild can be found. If you trash a CAM/Crank/head/block you are going to be searching used. These motors are tough as hell and as long as it's in good shape, I wouldn't be paranoid about it knowing you can rebuild.

Personally I'd look for the 1HZ, but not shy away at all from a BJ74 or 13BT powered rig provided it's taken care of, that 13BT is an excellent engine.

Are you looking for any specific 70 series? Short Wheel base? Medium Wheel base? Soft top? Troopy? Pickup?

Oh an auto vs 5spd makes a pretty big difference in these engines.
Probably short or medium wheelbase. And I assume you are saying Auto tranny is the way to go?
Thanks

I don;t think 1HZ's are all that dependable if you actually use your cruiser for more then 5 miles on flat ground to the coffee shop. Going over passes or at elevation you have to constantly watch your gauges for EGT's, water temp and adjust your driving to stay within safe limits. That is not an issue in other parts of the world where it originated, since speed limits are really low due to other factors, and the style of driving in general is more inline with what that engine was made for. In the US it could be downright dangerous, those grandmas in buicks are doing 75mph, merging on to a highway safely requires maintaining a certain speed, but again thats if you actually use yours for travel.

I don;t think 1HZ's are all that dependable if you actually use your cruiser for more then 5 miles on flat ground to the coffee shop. Going over passes or at elevation you have to constantly watch your gauges for EGT's, water temp and adjust your driving to stay within safe limits. That is not an issue in other parts of the world where it originated, since speed limits are really low due to other factors, and the style of driving in general is more inline with what that engine was made for. In the US it could be downright dangerous, those grandmas in buicks are doing 75mph, merging on to a highway safely requires maintaining a certain speed, but again thats if you actually use yours for travel.

This is worth mentioning. Being realistic, we (nearly all of us at least) drive our rigs on the pavement 90% of the time. On the trail, the gearing and power of a 1HZ is certainly 'adequate'. On the highway, not so much, especially in the US. My opinion of course.

Land Cruisers, especially diesel Land Cruisers, are lifestyle vehicles (as in go slow and enjoy life). If you want to cruise at 75 mph all day or you lay in bed at night worrying about being rundown by grandma I would suggest a Chevy, Ford or Ram diesel truck. I've driven a H, 2H, 3B, 2L-TE, 13B-T, and now several 1HZ's and they have all gotten the job done.

This is worth mentioning. Being realistic, we (nearly all of us at least) drive our rigs on the pavement 90% of the time. On the trail, the gearing and power of a 1HZ is certainly 'adequate'. On the highway, not so much, especially in the US. My opinion of course.

I drove mine cross country in the middle of the hot summer. Was it amazing on the divide? No... but it did it. I had to kill the AC once driving through the middle of the desert on my way back to LA on the 15 on that long grade back up to the mountains, but that's about it. It was fast enough to merge into traffic, did 65-70 all day long.

Probably short or medium wheelbase. And I assume you are saying Auto tranny is the way to go?
Thanks

No, I would say 5spd is definitely the way to go in these years of 70 series...or for anything older or less powerful than a 1FZ.

The auto is the A440F same as Fj62 and is a power robbing machine. The auto is reliable, and good off-road, but seriously a killjoy.

Short or medium wheelbase limits you to the following diesel engines: 1HZ, 13BT, 3B (I'm not counting that VM mottori from spain)
Short wheel base you could get:
Bj70 - 3B, hard or soft top
BJ71 - 13BT, hard top or soft top, (OEM cable lockers option)

Medium:
HZJ73 - 1HZ soft top or FRP removable top, (OEM E-lockers option) 24 volt only I believe
BJ74 - 13BT, soft/ or FRP removable top, (OEM cable lockers option) 12 volt or 24volt
BJ73 - 3B, hard or soft top, 12volt or 24 volt

Some of the above will be harder to find:
A 12volt, BJ74 with cable lockers and 5 speed will be pretty damn hard to find, in fact I haven't seen one for sale,
An HZJ73 with lockers is easier to find with 5 speed
BJ73's seem to be much easier to find

As always with cruisers, I would try to find the nicest condition one you can afford, and not go crazy trying to find OEM lockers.

Last edited:
Land Cruisers, especially diesel Land Cruisers, are lifestyle vehicles (as in go slow and enjoy life). If you want to cruise at 75 mph all day or you lay in bed at night worrying about being rundown by grandma I would suggest a Chevy, Ford or Ram diesel truck. I've driven a H, 2H, 3B, 2L-TE, 13B-T, and now several 1HZ's and they have all gotten the job done.

This! Yes! I don't worry about how fast I'm going anymore. It drives my wife crazy when she's being intense but that's about it. I had a 400hp small block powered mini truck and that mofo ripped. I got speeding tickets and broke a lot of stuff. I'm over it. If that's your thing you can swap something big into a tired FJ60 and party all day long. I'm into 25mpg on the highway and idling around the trail.

I drove mine cross country in the middle of the hot summer. Was it amazing on the divide? No... but it did it. I had to kill the AC once driving through the middle of the desert on my way back to LA on the 15 on that long grade back up to the mountains, but that's about it. It was fast enough to merge into traffic, did 65-70 all day long.

With all due respect, I wouldn't consider having to turn off AC to traverse an incline 'adequate'. Again, this is my opinion. It could be perfectly acceptable to others.

With all due respect, I wouldn't consider having to turn off AC to traverse an incline 'adequate'. Again, this is my opinion. It could be perfectly acceptable to others.

I get it. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I've worked in motorsports with all sort of s***ty 4x4s, driven them all over the country and beat the crap out of them for money. A brand new $40K Jeep would overheat in the same spot I was just mentioning up until Jeep put on its big boy pants and made a world class vehicle out of the Wrangler with the JL.

But we're not talking about new vehicles, we're talking about 25+ year old vehicles that no matter how awesome they are they're old, using tech that is several generations old. If I have to turn off the AC and roll down my power windows for a few miles, I'm cool with that. Honestly anyone looking into an old grey market vehicle should be expecting that sort of thing unless you're playing with enough capital that you can afford to restore and retrofit outdated components with modern stuff that covers the gaps we're talking about.

I get it. I'm not saying you're wrong. But I've worked in motorsports with all sort of s***ty 4x4s, driven them all over the country and beat the crap out of them for money. A brand new $40K Jeep would overheat in the same spot I was just mentioning up until Jeep put on its big boy pants and made a world class vehicle out of the Wrangler with the JL.

But we're not talking about new vehicles, we're talking about 25+ year old vehicles that no matter how awesome they are they're old, using tech that is several generations old. If I have to turn off the AC and roll down my power windows for a few miles, I'm cool with that. Honestly anyone looking into an old grey market vehicle should be expecting that sort of thing unless you're playing with enough capital that you can afford to restore and retrofit outdated components with modern stuff that covers the gaps we're talking about.

You are correct on all accounts, but the thread started with a newbie wanting everyone's opinions on the best setup before he takes the plunge and spends money going on way to later find out there was a better option based on their needs. Myself and @TonyP are of the opinion that there are 25+ year landcruiser's where you can achieve 75mph safely and comfortably, etc., etc. so its not so much "my landcruiser is better then yours debate" rather then providing the guy opinions from all viewpoints and let him decide what's best for his situation.

@2thdriller BTW welcome to Mud
Thanks.....I've actually been on MUD for several years. Maybe I stated it wrong by saying "newbie", but by that I meant newbie in the 70 series arena. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the responses/discussions my inquiry has generated, and I feel everyone who responded has had something to offer to me.....since 70 series and toyota diesel engines are new territory for me.

Asking which motor is "preferable" is a little vague, methinks, which is maybe why you've had such a variety of responses. "Preferable" as in most powerful? Most economical? Most reliable? Easiest to work on? Simplest? Most modern? Best parts availability? Easiest to modify? I could go on. You get the idea. Any given motor is unlikely to check all boxes.

That said, I'll add my $.02. You live in the mountains. Get a motor with a turbo. If it's a short or mid wheelbase model you're after, and you want a (factory) turbo, that leaves you with:

BJ71--Heavy Duty, short wheelbase, leaf sprung. 13B-T motor.
BJ74--Heavy Duty, mid wheelbase, leaf sprung. 13B-t motor. Only available RHD
LJ70--Light Duty, short wheelbase, coil sprung. 2L-T motor.
LJ73--Light Duty, mid wheelbase, coil sprung. 2L-T motor.
KZJ70--Light Duty, short wheelbase, coil sprung. 1KZ-T motor
KZJ73--Light Duty, mid wheelbase, coil sprung. 1KZ-T motor
Oh, and those BJ's from Spain that have a funky motor in them--what are they called? No matter, no one likes them.

I've never heard anyone rate a 2L-T over a 13B-T, probably never will. Between those two, 13B-T every time.
13B-T vs 1KZ-T is more interesting. 1KZ-T is a more modern motor, parts availability is probably better (guessing). Its descendants live on in current Toyota trucks. 13B-T is more "old-timey", but widely loved. For good reason. Tune-able and robust.

All the above assumes you're looking to get a 70-series with its original motor. The only other options (I think) would be the aforementioned 1HZ, but it has no turbo. Or a 3B. Both excellent motors, and If you lived at sea level, or on flat ground, or in a country with a max speed limit of 100km/hr, either would probably be fine. Excellent, actually, for all the reasons others have mentioned. But they can test your patience in the mountains, especially the 3B. If you're a super chill dude, and don't mind people blowing past you on hills, then no worries. Get a 1HZ or 3B.

Full disclosure: I'm a super chill dude--I drive a 3B. :p

1hd fte
1vd ftv
1hd ft
1hd t
12ht

All great motors, and no serious quarrel with your ranking, but none were available stock in a short or mid wheelbase 70-series, which is what the OP is looking for. Worse yet, he's in the USA, so needs a car over 25 years old (or a motor over 21) to legally import it. You Aussies forget how good you have it.

Hello,

x2. Owning a Land Cruiser, especially a diesel one, is living life on the slow lane.

I would look for an 1HZ powered truck. This engine is still in production and has not changed much in 30 years. It is easy to operate and repair, and very reliable.

Parts are easy to source.

As for the other engines, they are a choice, but some parts are becoming harder to find.

Juan

A great thread!
I will have to deal with such questions as soon as my BJ45 resto begins...

...and as long as the Mud mates can help, I feel safe! :)

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 resto project...

While most of the suggestions in this thread are viable, one important part of the original poster's enquiry is being overlooked. ....... Post #4 (and being new to diesels,)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps suggesting engines that didn't originally come in a 70 Series isn't in his best interest.
My .02 worth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom