70 series newbie...which diesel engine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The good thing about just importing an engine is that you have a lot more options than the original poster; basically only hindered by your pocketbook.

Importing an engine separately does open up the possibility of motors up to and including the 1HD-FT, if a guy wants to do a swap. An HZJ73 with a 1HD-FT would be a super-duper little truck, but you'd have to build it yourself, since Toyota never did.

What year did the 1HD=FTE show up? Has it been 21 years yet? That's a really nice motor.

The 1HD-FTE was in the 100 series in 1998 (> 21 years old). According to @HDJ73 the swap into a 73/74 is straight forward and a lot of the 2001+ HDJ79/78 mounts and parts fit the early BJ73.

1HD-FTE in a BJ73

If you want to get more power out of the 1hd-fte, you are going to want a 2002 on engine and ECU. The early ones are different in some way, just make very slightly less power with the same mods. Engine itself is the same.

The po would probably be best looking for the cleanest truck body wise over against the engine. The 1hd never came untill the 79, 12ht was not in the 70 series either. So that leaves the 1hz, 1pz, and a host of 4 pots.

If you want to get more power out of the 1hd-fte, you are going to want a 2002 on engine and ECU. The early ones are different in some way, just make very slightly less power with the same mods. Engine itself is the same.

The po would probably be best looking for the cleanest truck body wise over against the engine. The 1hd never came untill the 79, 12ht was not in the 70 series either. So that leaves the 1hz, 1pz, and a host of 4 pots.

yep always the cleanest cruiser you can find.

If you intend to run the truck mainly off road , a 1HZ , is fine .
But 1HZ motor is made for the third world markets , any fuel ,any oil any road , no matter how bad it is , the truck will Handel it .
If you are thinking to use the truck all rotund on comune roads , freeway , highways , go with a HDT , or even better HD-FTE ,
The swap is not difficult , and your sadisfaction on road will be much higher .
I can cruise all day at 75 miles /h with a HDT , with the car fully loaded , no overheating , no issues..
Top speed will be approx 150 km/h approx .but I do it just for short periods .
The sweet speed for my truck is 70-75 miles/h.
In off road you don'loose anything .

We are doing a Cruiser right now with a 1HDFT swap. We got the Bad Boy red wheel turbo from GTurbo, sent out pump over to them as well for mods. GTurbo says we will have 250rwhp. Running 27psi and a water to air intercooler.

This will move any Cruiser around real real well, still get good mpg and will last a long time.

In my opinion find a cheaper 70-series like the 2/3F or 2H or even 3B. Drive it till you are ready to swap.

Oh and the 1HDFT came out in 1995 depending on market.

Cheers

I would be happy to have the stock CV , out of that motor .
Double the pressure is not going to double the life of it .
But we are here to suggest a nice motor to our friend in a 70 series .
Your suggestion to find a cheap 70 and run it till the end , and then swap the motor , will give you time to source the right engin at the right price , and tune it to what you need .
Very good suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom