60 Series Air Bags and Brackets Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bullzi

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Everyone,

I figured I would do a quick write-up on the airbags and brackets that just went under the rear of my 1987 FJ60.

It had been sagging pretty bad when loaded for awhile now, so I designed some airbag brackets with input from Torfab and worked with them to have the brackets built and installed. The brackets allow the airbags to sit centered above the axle housing and help out with the load. I am very pleased with the outcome!

We used the dominator series bags from airlift, which Torfab is also using in their 80 series axle conversions (axle conversion seen here: Another 80 series axle conversion done with our weld on kit ). My 60 series has the 4plus u-bolt flip kit, so this bracket was specifically designed for vehicles with the 4-plus flip kit. I also designed brackets for the stock u-bolts as well.

So far it has been great. The suspension seems to work just as it did before. It doesn’t feel any stiffer, just looks better and doesn’t allow the tire to hit the wheel-arch when going over large bumps. I have been riding around with about 13 psi in the bags. We have the rooftop tent on and drawers with some gear in the back.

Installation (vehicles with 4-plus u-bolt flip kit):
The install was simple – it’s a fully bolt-on kit. We utilized a lift, but this could easily be done on jack stands.
  • The upper bracket bolts to the frame in place of the factory bump stop. There are slots in the upper bracket for a large range of forward/backward adjustment.
  • To install the lower bracket, the u-bolts are unbolted and the bracket is installed over the u-bolts. It is then bolted down/torqued. The ends of the u-bolts then need to be cut so that they are shorter than the mounting bracket (see pictures).
  • Next, the airbags are bolted in and the air fittings are installed. We chose to mount Schrader valves remotely under the rear bumper.

I believe Torfab’s plan was to utilize these brackets/airbags in-house for customer vehicles, but I’m sure if there were enough people out there looking for a good airbag setup for their cruisers, Torfab would be willing to put a kit together and sell it in their store.

Lastly, the kit that works with the stock u-bolt setup, may also work for other series Land Cruisers (40, 50 & 70).

Onto some installation Pictures!

Upper and lower brackets getting some paint -
IMG_4844.JPG

Upper bracket installed -
IMG_4846.JPG

Lower bracket Installed -
IMG_4847.JPG

Both brackets -
IMG_4845.JPG

Air bag Installed -
IMG_4849.JPG

How do they act when you bottom out now that you don't have bump stops? how is it at full articulation? how did you run the air lines? and whats your setup for filling and deflating? and where do we buy?

Bean!

I want to see someone put a set up front

lonelydriver - If you keep a minimum amount of air in the bags (maybe 2-5psi?) they should prevent you from bottoming out. Previously, if I hit a bump with the rear tires, the tires would hit the wheel arch (I wasn't hitting the bump stop), this is no longer happening.

As for articulation, I haven't noticed any difference. I haven't tried any extreme articulating in it either though...I think there will be a slight loss of upward articulation, but nothing too major. The airbags have a compressed height of 2.8" and a extended height of 12.5". For myself, a minor loss in articulation is well worth the benefit of being able to adjust the suspension for the load.

We ran the air lines to Schrader valves at the rear bumper with black poly tubing. For filling and deflating, I have an onboard air compressor. I manually fill and deflate them at this point. Maybe someday I'll look into adding some solenoid valves and switches, so I can fill and deflate from the cab!

As for buying the kit, you will have to hit up Torfab. Originally, this was going to be for in-house projects, but my understanding is that Torfab might put a kit together if there is enough interest.

aviafx - Good eye!

nookshneer - Thanks Dave!

I want to see someone put a set up front
I didn’t put airbags up front, almost did. But instead I installed a set of
Blue SUMOSPRINGS in place of front bumpstops. They really do an amazing job of
smoothing out the front end plunges.

I stopped by Torfab yesterday and we gave the Bean a quick forklift flex test to see how it articulated with the airbags.
I wish I had thought to do this without the airbags installed for comparison...Hindsight = 20/20.
Either way, the flex with the airbags was really good. We first tested with 13psi in the bags (where the truck now sits level), then we took all the air out of the bags and tested with 0psi to see if we gained any travel. The difference in articulation between 13psi and 0psi was almost non-existent. Technically, you should always keep at least a few psi in the bags to keep from bottoming the bags out, but this was for testing purposes.

I should also say that articulation is going to vary by vehicle. The bean has an 80 series rear axle, OME heavies and a serious rear sway-bar.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

Airbag with 13psi - Sorry for the bury picture
IMG_5040.jpg

Airbag at 0psi -
IMG_5045.jpg

Best of both worlds to have the leaf springs and airbags, Josiah. Might have to see if Tor can retrofit the leaf-spring brackets on my 80-Series axle.

I stopped by Torfab yesterday and we gave the Bean a quick forklift flex test to see how it articulated with the airbags.
I wish I had thought to do this without the airbags installed for comparison...Hindsight = 20/20.
Either way, the flex with the airbags was really good. We first tested with 13psi in the bags (where the truck now sits level), then we took all the air out of the bags and tested with 0psi to see if we gained any travel. The difference in articulation between 13psi and 0psi was almost non-existent. Technically, you should always keep at least a few psi in the bags to keep from bottoming the bags out, but this was for testing purposes.

I should also say that articulation is going to vary by vehicle. The bean has an 80 series rear axle, OME heavies and a serious rear sway-bar.

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 2198334

View attachment 2198337

View attachment 2198338

Airbag with 13psi - Sorry for the bury picture
View attachment 2198345

Airbag at 0psi -
View attachment 2198346
That looks like a RTT on top, what brand is it? Do you have pics of it setup?

That looks like a RTT on top, what brand is it? Do you have pics of it setup?
I believe it’s one of these

@Hojack - Its an Alucab Expedition 3. We like it, its super sturdy. Our only complaint was the lighting in it sucked, it has some small lights where your pillows are. I ended up wiring in some strip lights on the sides. Now the lighting is great!
Here are some pics...
IMG_4289.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG

Anytime! My wife and I will also be at SAS4! From your poetry yesterday, it sounds like you will be too haha
:rofl: Hahahaha!!! It got stuck in my head after hearing the Beastie Boys.
Awesome. I’m camping with @NookShneer.
Wife just sent confirmation for the triple Boss airbags. Should be here for my 40th...o_O

Hey All,

Working at Torfab and contemplating doing a run of these. Checking on interest to see if doing a run of these makes sense. Let me know if you are interested in the Ubolt flip kit Airbag Brackets

Additionally, we have the non-ubolt airbag brackets that @Bullzi worked on for trucks needing more load capacity in the rear and are using the OEM ubolt and spring plates. I have a couple of these available but need to get them up on the Torfab website.

-Dave

647AF7F8-D04D-4AFC-8A2B-8D20BCA5E528.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom