60 Security and Anti Theft Measures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Following the rash of 60 thefts reported on Mud, and the series of thefts and break-ins of cars in my neighborhood, I wanted to see what people are doing for Wheel Protection, Vehicle Theft Protection and Break-in Protection of their 60s.

Save the bravado and the "I'll just shoot 'em" business, I am looking for practical measures that work on sending the sticky fingers to the next car and leaving mine alone.

If you put GPS tracking on it you can easy find it if it get stolen, but it wont prevent people from smashing the window and steal all your stuff inside your car.

You can also add a clear protection plastic to your windows, then it get hard to smash/brake ...

You can wire in a kill switch so that the vehicle is undriveable without knowing the location of the switch. I have seen some creative ones over the years. My favorite was one that was wired into the lighter. To use the ignition you had to push in the cigarette lighter. It would reset itself after the lighter was heated and popped back out. Do some searching on the web for good ideas. Just make sure it is in a safe, hidden, inconspicuous location.

One big thing is leave nothing in the open. Tuffy/security consoles to lock items up. A cargo box in the rear. Tinted windows so valuables cannot be seen.

Cat theft is big on Toyotas in my area so some people weld plates or bolt plates over their cats so they cannot be easily accessed by a sawsall.

I live in Oakland and use The Club (the truck version with the longer arm). Not the end-all be-all but it just adds to the effort for someone looking for either a joyride or something to go commit more crimes in. And it's very visible. Unless you've got a very cherry truck I think most d-bags aren't looking to resell or part out these things.

I lived in SF for many years and the two guys I knew with 60s had them stolen multiple times before they started using Clubs. Luckily they got their trucks back each time without too much trauma besides an empty tank and some parking tickets. As we know, these 80s-era trucks are easy to get into and not much harder to get started.

As for cat thefts, there have been a wave of those around here recently, targeting Toyota trucks in particular. Some folks are welding their cats on but I have heard of thieves using little cordless circular saws to get around this. The saw trick has been happening in isolated parking lots, such as those at County and State parks. Probably too noisy to attempt on a residential street at night, although in Oakland nothing really surprises me anymore...

i just spent a lot of coin doing some major work and upgrades to my truck so i included a new alarm system. i put in the clifford smartstart cs5000 which includes (among other stuff) a kill switch, gps tracking and a smartphone app which not only notifies me anytime the alarm is triggered but from which i can track my truck while i'm waiting on the police. i sleep in peace.

I found a great micro switch that is easy to hide. I had to buy a bunch in order to get the few I needed. I am selling the leftovers. $4.00 each shipped anywhere in the USA (Except Alaska and Hawaii). PM me if you want one.

Dyno
sw3.jpg

Last edited:
DFXR said:
I live in Oakland and use The Club (the truck version with the longer arm). Not the end-all be-all but it just adds to the effort for someone looking for either a joyride or something to go commit more crimes in. And it's very visible. Unless you've got a very cherry truck I think most d-bags aren't looking to resell or part out these things.

I lived in SF for many years and the two guys I knew with 60s had them stolen multiple times before they started using Clubs. Luckily they got their trucks back each time without too much trauma besides an empty tank and some parking tickets. As we know, these 80s-era trucks are easy to get into and not much harder to get started.

As for cat thefts, there have been a wave of those around here recently, targeting Toyota trucks in particular. Some folks are welding their cats on but I have heard of thieves using little cordless circular saws to get around this. The saw trick has been happening in isolated parking lots, such as those at County and State parks. Probably too noisy to attempt on a residential street at night, although in Oakland nothing really surprises me anymore...

I used to work for a bank based in Oakland. I would visit occasionally. That place is nuts.

jpeg said:
i just spent a lot of coin doing some major work and upgrades to my truck so i included a new alarm system. i put in the clifford smartstart cs5000 which includes (among other stuff) a kill switch, gps tracking and a smartphone app which not only notifies me anytime the alarm is triggered but from which i can track my truck while i'm waiting on the police. i sleep in peace.

Those are very useful features. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

Those are very useful features. Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

the system i put in wasn't cheap but given all the work i had done it was definitely worth it. i'm forced to park outside and you just can't put a price on a good night's sleep.

I used to take Amtrak regularly from the Oakland Colosseum Amtrak station. They were regularly stealing the catalytic converters out of any car there they could get under. They would cut them off with a sawzall or hack saw of some kind. Did not discriminate on the car type. It scaled back after the cops busted a local shop that was buying used cats to sell on the recycling market (lots of expensive metals in there). I stopped driving my truck or cruiser to that place and only take a car so low to the ground you can't get under it without a jack...

Otherwise I use a "club" like device that presses against the floor and locks out the brake pedal so you can't use it. I have my fingers crossed...

Save the bravado and the "I'll just shoot 'em" business, I am looking for practical measures that work on sending the sticky fingers to the next car and leaving mine alone.

So much for my suggestion.

800px-RagingJudgeMagnum.jpg

deterent

So much for my suggestion.

800px-RagingJudgeMagnum.jpg

That's a nice deterent Spook if you can shoot that far,if i can go all out i take this baby and give the guy behind the wheel a shower.LOL

On a serious note i have plans of installing a 150 db siren inside the cab with a starter kill tied into it.i already have a fuel shut off wired into it now i just need to find the time to finish this.:D

Spook i didn't mean that your a bad aim or anything i'm sure you can hit a target.:D
images-4.jpeg
images-5.jpeg

That's a nice deterent Spook if you can shoot that far,if i can go all out i take this baby and give the guy behind the wheel a shower.LOL

On a serious note i have plans of installing a 150 db siren inside the cab with a starter kill tied into it.i already have a fuel shut off wired into it now i just need to find the time to finish this.:D

Spook i didn't mean that your a bad aim or anything i'm sure you can hit a target.:D

LOL, marksman with M16 and M9, but I wouldn't exactly be shooting at distant targets if I had to fire a Judge. I see that as more a "HOLY s*** I'M BEING CARJACKED!" weapon. Which is why if I were to ever feel the need to carry one in my vehicle, I'd keep it loaded with these: Firequest .410 Gauge Flechette - g12-410

But back onto the anti-theft track, I think a good start circuit disabler would be the best bet on a prevention level. If someone were to get past that, a GPS receiver that you could track with whatever smartphone/tablet/PC with mapping software would be the best and quickest way to recover your vehicle.

Can someone explain how to install this steering wheel option? I cannot seem to find an install thread anywhere. I am curious how hard it is to instal this new wheel.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom