60 Rear axle blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I thought I would finish this post 2 years later, after 3 more axles both poly's and another stock I switched out to a 80 full float rear. Its wider than the 60 axle with 3 inch spacers but it's going to fine, more body protection. The question is how strong are the stock axles, by comparison they are smaller than the stock 60 stuff by a lot.

FJ80 rear.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. How are you controlling axle wrap? I don't see an anti wrap bar.

If you put a arb in the 80 axle you can put 35 spline shafts in it.

Please expand. Change the side gears to 32 spline with custome axles and get 32 spline drive plates? Or 100 series FF axles?

:clap: Nice!

Thanks WS. I now have my upgrade path for my 80 FF.

The question is how strong are the stock axles, by comparison they are smaller than the stock 60 stuff by a lot.
The stock 80 axles hold up way better than the 60 axles. No comparison. The 60 axles to neck down to a small dia near the splines where they always break. Maybe the 80 axles being the same dia the whole length twist equally in all areas w/o there being a smaller dia weak spot?

Maybe the 80 axles not having a bearing surface are made not so hard and brittle = less subject to snap and break ?

Thank for the feed back on the shaft strength, 2 times a rear axle broke when it shouldn't have, I get the blame on the other. I use it but don't try to not kill it. In the middle of installing new bearings in the 3rd as the axle parts made a mess of things, hopefully that will be the last time i have to listen to parts grinding all the way back to camp. The rear was converted to disk which kept the axle in for the hour plus long 2 mph drive back, nice unintended consequence.

Chevy springs control the axle wrap, they also do a decent job controlling the weight with all seats filled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom