Builds 60 guy does a 100 series LC... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That ended up being a lot more scary than it actually was. Used a sacrificial chisel to get the bushing started coming off. Worked it all the way around (as much as you have room to access) and got a good lip bent down.
Then came in the HF air chisel. At first I wasn't sure which blade to use so I started with a blade that had a slight curve to it. That really didn't seem to be doing much so I switched to just a straight, flat chisel and did like the other chisel, working my way around and pushing this blade deeper in. I picked two sides opposite one another that I knew I would have good range of motion and began working it down. It really seems like nothing is happening until you finally get the blade all the way in to touch the middle section of the bushing and then you notice it start to move more and more. Once that happened, it was literally less than 5 minutes to work it all the way out, switching from side to side walking it out.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
Pressing it back in was a similar exercise. Started it in with just the bushing plate and nothing on top (and thats really all you need). Got it started and just went slow at it until I noticed it was getting a bit cockeyed. Loosened the ball joint press, realigned stuff and went at it again. At that point it just slid right in with no issues all the way to the top.

And here is a video, movement is a bit less than the original, not that I had huge movement in my old one but I notice the difference. NOW is getting the axles and hub flanges squared away. That is coming soon.

Found that the easiest way to get the spring on the boot and up on the ball joint is to load it on the boot while it is off. Load it onto the ball joint and work the edge around ensuring the spring stays on the boot until it pops all around.

I need to redo the boot I replaced as I'm pretty sure I stretched out the ring trying to get it on. Was wondering how others did it... you just pre-installed it and was able to work it into position?

I need to redo the boot I replaced as I'm pretty sure I stretched out the ring trying to get it on. Was wondering how others did it... you just pre-installed it and was able to work it into position?
Yup... I am going to have to replace the passenger side as I did the same thing, ended up just ziptie'ing it for the time being. DS I loaded the spring on first, which is a little bit of a fight, then loaded on the ball joint.

When getting it on the boot you will have to get one end started and hold it in place while you work the coil around the boot. Then once you get it on and are ready to load the ball joint, I just started from the back side and worked my way forward. Get everything over the lip then just start working around the lip, both sides at the same time otherwise you will just be chasing it around the ball joint. Similar exercise to getting a new bike tire on the rim.

This is helpful - thanks Greg. I was able to get the ring on the boot, but getting the combo over the ball joint lip was problematic... I think I ended up getting grease on the outside and it got too slippery to work on. Ah well, I'll try again.

This is helpful - thanks Greg. I was able to get the ring on the boot, but getting the combo over the ball joint lip was problematic... I think I ended up getting grease on the outside and it got too slippery to work on. Ah well, I'll try again.
Yeah, you just have to be a bit patient with it. I still got a bit of grease on the outside of the boot but was able to get it handled pretty quickly once it started to work over the lip.

So one of the other things that happened this weekend was replacement of one of the vacuum lines that has cracked.. This is the larger rear most line the connects to the airbox and is one of the ones that is removed when you pull the intake/airbox tube. Both ends of the line were cracked a good 1 1/2" from the edge so cutting it down would not have done me any good as it is a pretty tight fit.

Measured the size of the intake tube nipple as just about 8mm so I grabbed some 8mm ID vacuum line from BoostController.com (as well as some 6mm just in case) and threw that one. The 8mm ended up being a perfect fit.
Nothing too exciting but I am going to slowly go through the vacuum lines to replace them as 20yrs work of funk, heat and whatnot under the hood I am sure has made most have cracks, leaks or issues.
New line on.

Well just got call from the shop that Alita is done. Dropped her off at the shop to have the starter replaced yesterday morning. Got a call in the afternoon from them, profusely apologizing that they did not realize how complex the disassembly was of the intake. Mechanic said that he thought it was just removal of the top portion of the intake to get to it, then when he started reading the FSM procedure he realized it was BOTH upper and lower portions.

Anyways, price went up slightly because they did not purchase the intake gaskets that were appropriate. Talked to him about it coming out as one piece, gave him link to mud and he said he would look into it but it was gonna be a little longer. All said and done, with old starter back so I can rebuild as a spare (if I have to replace again, I will do myself) I will be out the door for just of $1k vs. the original $700-$800 that was originally quoted. They were honest, called me before they had started anything on the truck, and got approval before they turned the first wrench. Also went through all fluids and gave an overall inspection of the truck as well.

Biggest thing was that over the last few days it has been warmer, like not getting lower then high 30s at night, and the starter has not given me any grief. So looks like it was very much temperature related (week before when we had a storm come through it was getting down into the low 20s at night). Will see once winter comes back around or if we get another cold front.

Well just got call from the shop that Alita is done. Dropped her off at the shop to have the starter replaced yesterday morning. Got a call in the afternoon from them, profusely apologizing that they did not realize how complex the disassembly was of the intake. Mechanic said that he thought it was just removal of the top portion of the intake to get to it, then when he started reading the FSM procedure he realized it was BOTH upper and lower portions.

Anyways, price went up slightly because they did not purchase the intake gaskets that were appropriate. Talked to him about it coming out as one piece, gave him link to mud and he said he would look into it but it was gonna be a little longer. All said and done, with old starter back so I can rebuild as a spare (if I have to replace again, I will do myself) I will be out the door for just of $1k vs. the original $700-$800 that was originally quoted. They were honest, called me before they had started anything on the truck, and got approval before they turned the first wrench. Also went through all fluids and gave an overall inspection of the truck as well.

Biggest thing was that over the last few days it has been warmer, like not getting lower then high 30s at night, and the starter has not given me any grief. So looks like it was very much temperature related (week before when we had a storm come through it was getting down into the low 20s at night). Will see once winter comes back around or if we get another cold front.
I feel your pain. My initial 3000 in repairs ended up being 5400 after other things were found. Hope the new starter fixes the problem.

So far so good. Funny thing is that the truck has a different sound now when the starter kicks over. Much stronger and, dare I say, more mechanical sound. Got the old one back and it is a Denso unit so I will pull apart one of these weekends to investigate and see if the brushes truly were bad. Funny thing was that the mechanic that did the majority of the work (seems like he was saying there are always two guys on larger jobs; main mechanic and a "junior"), I had given him this site and told him to look up the info about pulling off the intake as one piece. He said he did some digging and found what I was talking about and was able to get it all off as one piece, plus some other time saving/efficiency items for the job. His response "Man, that place has TONS of knowledge on this stuff. Thanks for showing me that and I have written it down so if we get other Land Cruisers in I can use the site!"

So outsider know of the compendium of knowledge here! Next on the agenda is getting all the stuff for the axles!

Thanks for posting that video Greg. R to D still causes noticeable knock?

Thanks for posting that video Greg. R to D still causes noticeable knock?
Still there yes.. but feels and sounds different now. Now you can definitely tell it is the play/backlash in the hub flanges. Those are next on the chopping block.

Woohoo!!! So I ordered some new floor mats for Alita because I hated the ones one the front (Catch-All brand) and the rear was just the stock cloth one.
So after some recommendations from the forums I went with the Lloyd Mat brand and just got them today. Now these are QUALITY!! I went with their Northridge version and really like it.

1C7BD682-B19D-4014-9BCC-2418A391B9DE.jpeg

9590FA6D-C732-4EEE-B6E7-820DF0114B65.jpeg

82CB6F40-6FF7-4FCC-91F7-C51276F1714D.jpeg

A991C4DD-F598-4A97-8678-F08444FB28D1.jpeg

EABA2C17-E405-4D3C-9E11-9D5436006DCA.jpeg

Oh and this is their DARK GREY color by the way... Brings out just how faded and dirty the stock carpet is. But What do I expect from a truck with almost 200k on it! Really like the feel of these, the plastic/material has a bit softer durometer than the weathertec and huskys I have dealt with in other vehicles. And bonus they have teeth on the bottom (like the pad an office chair slides around on) so they bite into the carpet. Fit is near perfect, hell of a lot better than the Catch-All I had, and better than the WeatherTec and Husky liners I have had in other vehicles. These all came in a small box and I was SURE that I was going to have to lay them out flat and let them sit and uncurl for a while. NOPE they are heavy and floppy on their own.

For about $145 shipped for front and 2nd row, I am truly impressed with these. And funny thing is they are actually cut to order, not stock. So if you order these make sure that you get color chips of all the ones you are interested in FIRST. I am glad I did.

Well unfortunately since the world has decided to have a tantrum not much has gotten done with Alita. Luckily I am one of the few that is a non-essential employee but can work from home as my office is considered an essential group. Funny thing is, is that this really hasn't changed much for me other than I am working from home 3-4 days a week now instead of in the office. Still have to go to the office to get certain things done as our state infrastructure was/is not setup for the work from home thing for the majority of state workers so they are scrambling.

Anyways, this whole shutdown has affected us just like everyone else. Fortunately, we are a household that still has one income with as an essential workforce. However, it has cut into the ability to work on Alita and get things taken care of. I was 3/4 of the way there with the necessary parts for redoing the front axles, only needing bearings, hub flanges and new axles but that is all put on hold. For us, like many other states, our governor closed all non-essential businesses with little recourse for small business owners (like our salon) and thus we are trying, much like everyone else to figure out what we can do. For Nevada, this will be going on until the end of April it looks like, so should be an interesting month coming up as the state figures out how to bring some money back to the community.

So what is everyone doing with this COVID-19 stuff going on, project wise? I really don't want to start ripping the truck apart to do different things if I don't have to seeing as I have to run into work at different times, but at the same point I kinda want to so I can get things taken care of.
Maybe I will post on my troubleshooting of my electronic lock gremlins with the install of my remote start.

Woohoo!!! So I ordered some new floor mats for Alita because I hated the ones one the front (Catch-All brand) and the rear was just the stock cloth one.
So after some recommendations from the forums I went with the Lloyd Mat brand and just got them today. Now these are QUALITY!! I went with their Northridge version and really like it.

View attachment 2238070

View attachment 2238071

View attachment 2238072

View attachment 2238073

View attachment 2238074
Greg you have a link for these mats?

Well unfortunately since the world has decided to have a tantrum not much has gotten done with Alita. Luckily I am one of the few that is a non-essential employee but can work from home as my office is considered an essential group. Funny thing is, is that this really hasn't changed much for me other than I am working from home 3-4 days a week now instead of in the office. Still have to go to the office to get certain things done as our state infrastructure was/is not setup for the work from home thing for the majority of state workers so they are scrambling.

Anyways, this whole shutdown has affected us just like everyone else. Fortunately, we are a household that still has one income with as an essential workforce. However, it has cut into the ability to work on Alita and get things taken care of. I was 3/4 of the way there with the necessary parts for redoing the front axles, only needing bearings, hub flanges and new axles but that is all put on hold. For us, like many other states, our governor closed all non-essential businesses with little recourse for small business owners (like our salon) and thus we are trying, much like everyone else to figure out what we can do. For Nevada, this will be going on until the end of April it looks like, so should be an interesting month coming up as the state figures out how to bring some money back to the community.

So what is everyone doing with this COVID-19 stuff going on, project wise? I really don't want to start ripping the truck apart to do different things if I don't have to seeing as I have to run into work at different times, but at the same point I kinda want to so I can get things taken care of.
Maybe I will post on my troubleshooting of my electronic lock gremlins with the install of my remote start.

I feel ya bud, I’m a barber and I’m also non-essential.

Still there yes.. but feels and sounds different now. Now you can definitely tell it is the play/backlash in the hub flanges. Those are next on the chopping block.

@gregnash can you link me to good reading on these flanges? I think I have this issue. Also, what parts/kit are you ordering?

@gregnash can you link me to good reading on these flanges? I think I have this issue. Also, what parts/kit are you ordering?
Lots of good reading in the FAQ section, also anything that is written by @2001LC with regards to anything you are looking for is spot on!. For the parts I am supporting one of our community vendors @cruiseroutfit (CruiserOutfitters.com). I would say stick with OEM Toyota where ever you can.

I feel ya bud, I’m a barber and I’m also non-essential.
Thanks dude! Stay strong and we will all get through this. Sucks how badly this is affecting small businesses like this. Seems like these groups are probably the cleaner of any of the groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom