60 Frame Rust - what to do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60's rear shock tube seperated/broke off from the driver's side main frame. I see flaking rust falling off the main frame in the rear, in the area around where the spare tire hangs. Anyone have experience getting a new shock tube welded on? Is this expensive? Does the gas tank need to be removed? Does it take a specalty crusier shop to do or could a truck repair outfit handle it? I know Spector will sell a new shock tube. Anyone have experience with reinforcing a rusted rear frame? The components near the read bumper are not the problem. It is forward of there. Thanks.

Bottom line: find a good welder, a truck shop will have what you need. They will be able to replace the tube with a piece from SOR or just a piece of tube bent to fit. The shock pins welded to the tube are easy to source... The frame can be cleaned up (elbow grease) and patched and reinforced (welding).

Pics of the severity would help us to comment on the project.

had the same problem, replaced the frame....mine was really shot. Find a good shop and they will tell if there is enough good metal to weld to. It may be worth your time to remove as many components back there , wire wheel the heck out of it and use a coating like por 15 to protect it, rust never sleeps.

Thansk everyone. Good suggestions.
See pixs.

00_drvrs_side_shock_tube_break.jpg

0_drvrs_side-shock_tube_greakIMG_0040.jpg

3_drvrs_side_frame_0033.jpg

6_pssnger_side_rear_frame_.jpg

00_drvrs_side_shock_tube_break.jpg

0_drvrs_side-shock_tube_greakIMG_0040.jpg

3_drvrs_side_frame_0033.jpg

6_pssnger_side_rear_frame_.jpg

Only one thing left to do when you have a slight rust problem...

lie_down__try_not_to_cry__cry_a_lot_combo_by_badflippy-d5t596e.jpg

Yes, I choose #3 when I had this period, sometimes #1. #2: never got to it...

file.php

Here are swaybar connection (you dont have them) and tank inlet hose cover, spare tire carrier, two chassis replacements,
file.php

Last edited:
I am impressed by the talent shown with the pictures by hj 60! You've given me hope. There is more to the story. . . Today I set off to a crusier shop about 40 miles away going very slowly for them to check out the shock tube replacement. When I arrived, we discovered the passenger side shock tube broke off also! Do you belive it! Good thing I hit no bumps. So the plan is I'll order a shock tube from Spector and they'll install also with four new shocks. This is an initial step. Then we'll see if the rust is so pervasive as to be hopeless. Hey, I need transport.

no need to order a special piece, a straight shot of regular old sch 40 pipe(1.25" irrc) works just fine. remove the muffler and upper shock mounts from the old rusted pc, drill few holes for the shock mounts in the new pc and start welding, or have someone else start welding.

this is common issue on rust coast cruisers.

and the rear section isn't nearly as bad as it looks. don't get me wrong, it's not good, but far from a write off just yet.

DSC00162.JPG

frame60B.JPG

frame60Bb.JPG

A straight pipe will lower the top shock mount a bit... probably not an issue on a street truck. If you are planning on wheeling and flexing out the suspension you might want to fab up the shape to raise the tube back up to just under the body.

I am impressed by the talent shown with the pictures by hj 60! You've given me hope. There is more to the story. . . Today I set off to a crusier shop about 40 miles away going very slowly for them to check out the shock tube replacement. When I arrived, we discovered the passenger side shock tube broke off also! Do you belive it! Good thing I hit no bumps. So the plan is I'll order a shock tube from Spector and they'll install also with four new shocks. This is an initial step. Then we'll see if the rust is so pervasive as to be hopeless. Hey, I need transport.

I have the same exact problem w my 62.
What type of shop did u end up taking yours to for repair?
Did they use a replacement tube or fab one up for you?
Did they have to remove the gas tank for the welding?
What did they charge?

Look forward to hearing how your turned out.

When looking at the last pic of Brian, this is one of the cases where I use a 90x50x4mm square, that'll fit in precisely.

Even did it all the way around the back, and made it a complete closed box from the about half way the chassis...

When looking at the last pic of Brian, this is one of the cases where I use a 90x50x4mm square, that'll fit in precisely.

Even did it all the way around the back, and made it a complete closed box from the about half way the chassis...

Are you saying you welded a chunk of metal inside the open end of the rusted frame to beef it up?
I have no welding skills so that's why I was asking what type of place the truck should be taken to to do the welding. And does the gas tank need to be removed in order to weld in a roach,end rear shock mount tube?

Yes the frame is a channel inside a channel it is usually the inside one that rusts the worst the outside one is the main structual that runs the full length of the frame.... outside main frame .... you clean out all the inside channel and rivets and weld in a new piece it is a good idea to have the main frame section sand blasted before inserting the new inner and boxing it in various areas of the rear member.
Most guys bore a hole through the frame to fit the tube this way you get two welds one from the inside frame and the other from the outside frame this section is boxed so you want to span the two sections of the boxed frame ...but can be done from just welding it to the inside portion of the frame not as sound as hitting both frame surfaces ....easiest done when the body is off the frame on a frame off.
As far as removing the tank I can't answer that question in order to weld the full circumference of the pipe properly I would say yes.

Last edited:
do you have to remove the gas tank to replace the rear side channels if you plan to grind the rivets out --

do you have to remove the gas tank to replace the rear side channels if you plan to grind the rivets out --

might not have to, but sure is easier if you do. like worth the extra hassle easier.

Buy a frame and swap.

^^^ This ^^^
I would fix the shock mounts temporarily, but that frame is not worth the time and effort to rebuild it. I could understand if it was a BJ-25 or a CJ-A where there just wasn't many made. But its a 60 there were plenty made. By 81 over a million units had been sold.
That being said you should find a frame or a non running unit with no rust to do the swap. Or, if your cruiser is in bad condition I would find a better condition one and use the old one for parts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom