5th gen 4runner or LC100 ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!
What is the best investment 5th gen 4runner 2014-16 or LC100 04-05?
I know that LC build differently..but Time is always moving ..
What is going to be more reliable?
I know rubber parts ,gaskets .. will have impact on LC ... . 4runner it's a newer ..
Just need advice! What is best for reliability and ownership cost ?
4runner will be more expensive that's for sure ...like 30k$ ...LC about 17k$ !

Best for initial reliability & ownership cost? 4Runner wins that hands down. Not only is it newer so you don't have to do any baselining, but repairs are far cheaper than those on a LC. Wheel base is shorter, track width is narrower, it has 2wd, and is lighter than the 100 series so it is also more nimble.

I've never owned a 4runner and can only give an opinion on owning a 2003 LC. Mine is NOT a DD and only sees a maximum of 7000 miles per year. After baselining, the cost is almost nothing other than fuel.

Because others will ask...….How many miles on the LC? Have the major items been done ie; Timing Belt/Water Pump, etc./ Will it be a Daily Driver? How far is the commute, etc.?

Best for initial reliability & ownership cost? 4Runner wins that hands down. Not only is it newer so you don't have to do any baselining, but repairs are far cheaper than those on a LC. Wheel base is shorter, track width is narrower, it has 2wd, and is lighter than the 100 series so it is also more nimble.
2WD ????
Most of them 4x4 .. part time and full time work Limited trim

Neither is really a good investment.

The 5th gen 4Runner may be the more practical choice, but in my limited experience with them, I just don't like how they feel/drive compared to a 80/100/200 series (I never really loved the 4th gen or the GX470 I owned, but I even preferred them to the 5th gen 4Runner). After ~25+ years of LC/LX ownership, I'm hooked, and will probably always have at least one in the driveway (and I'm fighting the urge to start hoarding them).

To me, they drive very differently, take each out for a test drive before you make your decision.

2WD ????
Most of them 4x4 .. part time and full time work Limited trim
Part-time = 2wd with selectable 4wd...

Also, you’re asking the wrong people this question. Most 4runner owners either try to make their 4runner as capable as a Land Cruiser is in stock form, or wish they had a Land Cruiser.

I’m going to disagree with the idea that the 4runner will have lower ownership costs than the right LC. Depreciation is the biggest factor in ownership costs when comparing reliable vehicles, and although 4runners hold value well, an LC that is already 14 years old will depreciate much slower. You could buy an ‘05 with 115k for probably $15k, and in 5 years/75k miles, it will still be worth over $10k. The 4runner will lose much more than $5k in that timeframe.

not sure of the year range, but there was a 2wd 4runner, a friend of a friend bought a 4runner at an auction and didn't realize it was 2wd only until he got it home.

The LC will handle weight a lot more gracefully than the 4runner. What kind of build do you have planned?

I can't speak for the 4runner specifically as I haven't owned one - but here is my experience (I'll try to keep it short): I owned a brand new FJ in 2007 and put 100k on it in 4 years - ownership cost was very low (and re-sale was ok), we traded that in for a used 08' GX470. We actually liked the GX470 a lot but after we put like 30k miles my wife got pregnant and wanted something "more practical", we got a RX350... yeah we traded that in for a GX460 after a year. The GX460 was ok... it was stiffer than the GX470 and it felt somewhat like a dog (keep in mind the above except for the FJ are her cars). For those who don't know the GX, FJ, 4Runner all ride on the same platform (corresponding years). In the middle of all of this, 2 years ago we got a 2000 Land Cruiser - to me, far superior than all of that list (I have since put 30k miles on it as i rolled over 200k) - more comfortable, better ride, reliable as a horse and feels solid as a rock. Maybe slightly bias here, but i really do enjoy getting in that car everyday - I can't say the same for the others (not that i didn't enjoy them, they just don't make you feel special... little weird maybe but hoping others here can relate).

Alright, I'll try to wrap up. After this experience, we traded in our lower mileage GX460 for a higher mileage LX570 (90k vs. 140k). I am not afraid of the miles on these things - just know to stay up with the maintenance. Neither will let you down but I would go LC or LX if I did it all over again.

After 1998 all 4wd 4runners and prados are all wheel drive with a lockable center diff. Same goes with all 98+ Land cruisers

After 1998 all 4wd 4runners and prados are all wheel drive with a lockable center diff. Same goes with all 98+ Land cruisers
The wording on this is a little confusing. Are you saying all T4R after '98 are all-wheel drive?

That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering if I was just interpreting that statement incorrectly or not. On my T4R I definitely have a transfer case lever that allows me to stay in 2H or go into 4H or 4L. I know most have the dial indicator but I hate those and found one with a lever.

Test own the 4Runner first. Drive it long and drive it hard, drive it high up in the trails. Because the long road all ends in a land cruiser imo.

The 5th gen T4R is available in 4x2 in these trim levels: SR5, SR5 Premium, Limited, & Limited Nightshade.

100 series much more comfortable for long trips, ergonomics leaps and bound above the 4runner.
That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering if I was just interpreting that statement incorrectly or not. On my T4R I definitely have a transfer case lever that allows me to stay in 2H or go into 4H or 4L. I know most have the dial indicator but I hate those and found one with a lever.

The ones with the knob dial are from the Limited, on the Limited models, it's full time AWD, you select hi and lo only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom