5th gen 4runner or LC100 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did someone compare the two with similar mileage that I may have missed? My point was that if the OP had $30k to spend on a 4Runner then its a no brainer to get a superb mint LC for the same price and be light years ahead in every aspect.

I didn't rely on anyone else, I pulled up CarGurus and autotrader and looked. You aren't getting a superb mint 200 for 30k if your life depended on it.

200s approach 90k new. I can't find a clean 2015 Tundra for 30k (1794 or Platinum). Thats a low 50s MSRP vehicle, not a 90k one. This is just not reality.

Gotcha. I stick with superb in good condition compared to a 4runner.

Gotcha. I stick with superb in good condition compared to a 4runner.

Here you go...

Or any number of 15-18 4runners. Obviously the 5th gens are in way nicer condition.

This is a landcruiser forum. But let's be fair. I looked at 200 series recently, in person. They aren't as cheap as people make them out to be in our subforum. Sure if you want a 150k mile 200 series you will get one. They aren't superb and they aren't clean.

I didn't rely on anyone else, I pulled up CarGurus and autotrader and looked. You aren't getting a superb mint 200 for 30k if your life depended on it.

200s approach 90k new. I can't find a clean 2015 Tundra for 30k (1794 or Platinum). Thats a low 50s MSRP vehicle, not a 90k one. This is just not reality.

i didnt even search like life depended on it and there are several options. if patient can do better I've seen 200s with 100k sell for 25k 1 owners who list forna quick sale on craiglist or private sale on cars.com or car gurus. 200 is next for me in like 5 years though.

Last edited:
i didnt even search like life depended on it and there are several options. if patient can do better I've seen 200s with 100k sell for 25k 1 owners who list forna quick sale on craiglist or private sale on cars.com or car gurus. 200 is next for me in like 5 years though.

These are all basically what I posted... 100k mile 8+ yr old trucks. I'm missing your point.

To me, a 100k vehicle isn't super clean, or mint, or any of that other BS people think when selling their car/truck. It's a vehicle with 100k of wear and tear. Maybe that's just me, and it could be why there's some disagreement. Maybe we are defining the shape of the vehicles differently... Esp for what OP seems to want.

These are all basically what I posted... 100k mile 8+ yr old trucks. I'm missing your point.

To me, a 100k vehicle isn't super clean, or mint, or any of that other BS people think when selling their car/truck. It's a vehicle with 100k of wear and tear. Maybe that's just me.

If someone wanted a new tech, reliable, low mileage SUV I'd recommend them a 5th gen over a 200 for 30k... All day long.

fair enough i was able to find dozen examples of 2017/2018 4x4 4 runners starting at 25k-30k with 50k miles with ease, but my dude.. those cars have no soul, an extra 50k miles and a little age is nothing for a land cruiser built for 25 year service life but hey to each their own.

fair enough i was able to find dozen examples of 2017/2018 4x4 4 runners starting at 25k-30k with 50k miles with ease, but my dude.. those cars have no soul, an extra 50k miles and a little age is nothing for a land cruiser built for 25 year service life but hey to each their own.
My friend, you're acting like I don't have a 240k mile 100 series with way too much money in mods, and sold a 5th gen after buying it. :D

But OP doesn't have my needs... And also, it's totally cool to prefer a 200 series, I 100% get that, but let's not all start talking like there's pristine 200s on every corner for 25 - 30k, haha.

Guys I have a question...
Why Land Cruisers not so popular ? Price? Gas ?
And btw Toyota will cancel Land Cruisers in 2022
But I think parts will be always available...

Toyota has not officially announced anything. If they are not sold in America, they will not be canceled worldwide, lol. AND if they are not sold in America the LX will still be offered here, it outsells the LC these days.

first, cars aren’t really an “investment”.

second, I've got both trucks and like em for what they are. in terms of cost of ownership, here's some numbers for you as an example (my estimates off the top of my head), your mileage may vary of course:

2015 4R SR5 4x4 bought new from dealership and now have about 68k miles on it. first 2 year maintenance was included.
difference between what I paid and what I can realistically sell it for today is about $11k.
mods/upgrades I've added include wheels ($400), tires ($700), upgraded steps ($100), seat covers ($200), standard maintenance at dealership ($320), alignment ($60), diy front brake pads ($50).
So over 4 years, that would be about $13,010 for the 4R

2005 LX470 bought used 3 years ago with about 148k miles and currently have 162k miles.
difference between what I paid and what I can realistically sell it for today is about $4k.
mods/upgrades I've added include some baselining ($400), sliders ($800), seat covers ($200), steering wheel cover ($40), custom roof rack ($300), tires ($1000), replaced one front axle ($350), reboot kit for existing axle ($50), rear sleeping platform ($100), standard diy maintenance ($200), alignment ($60), replacement sunroof seal ($50).
So over 3 years, that would be about $7550 for the LX
But then you have to account for the MPG difference...over 68k miles, that's about $4500 that would be spent more in gas which puts total for LX closer to $12,050.

not much of a difference in terms of $ in 3/4 years of ownership.

now for the subjective part...the land cruiser is built like a tank and drives like one. I drive it pretty conservatively else i would see my mileage drop below 12mpg city. love driving it, love how comfortable it is, love the size. I manage about 16mpg on the highway. the 4R feels smaller and faster (it will move if u are more aggressive with the pedal), more maneuverable, and easier for my wife to drive. it is also newer and has more technology compared to the LX. I get about 18mpg city and 21mpg highway. both have been very reliable and we'll probably keep both for a long time...planning to eventually pass the 4R to my now 10 year old as her first car.

in my part of town, there are a bunch of LC/LX and 4R's but it's definitely not the most popular SUV's...most like the car like ride of others makes such as the RX350, Benz, BMW, Highlander, etc., versus actual trucks.

Just get a 4th gen V8 4Runner. They have the 2UZ and are quite comfortable and reliable, and quite a bit cheaper than comparable year 100s.

I see a metric s*** ton of LC/LX in my neighborhood, and along my commute every day, although my neighborhood and commute is probably the exception, based on the sales numbers that I've seen.

In my experience, a Toyota dealership will steer customers toward a 4Runner or Sequoia, unless you request a Land Cruiser, they won't even mention it. Price compared to other alternatives. If you keep your vehicles 10+ years, a Land Cruiser starts to make sense. If you need a new car every 18-24 months, it's probably more difficult to justify the cost, although they do seem to hold their value pretty well.

I wonder why the McLaren 570S isn't more popular? I see a lot more Ford Mustangs, so they must be a better vehicle...

And your source is? In the US, or world wide?

(This seems to be drifting from "question" to "chat" to "troll".)

There are plenty of 40/60/80 parts that have been discontinued, if they're going to discontinue the vehicle, why wouldn't they discontinue the vehicle specific parts after 10-15 years?

They cost $90k new, and $20k on the used market gets you a 100k mile, 15 year old vehicle. Most buyers are looking for infotainment systems, more than 14 mpg, crossovers rather than real SUVs and vehicles made in the last 5-6 years. The majority of buyers don't want old cars that cost as much as much newer ones with fewer miles when the primary benefits of the old car are simply that it will run forever and it rides nicely and it will deliver you from the depths of Hades should you decide to drag your RTT out there to catch the view.

Buyers with $90k have a lot of options, including new Mercs, BMWs and Audis and late model G Wagens and Range Rovers. Nearly all of those cars offer more features that are popular with most buyers today. That's why these trucks sell in low numbers when looking at the new car market.

To me, these really are enthusiast vehicles. If you are just looking for a nice car to drive to work or haul the kids, get a Highlander or Rav4 or Lexus RX. If you need something bigger, get a Sequoia. Those are all well-made cars that are pleasant to drive and are generally reliable. They also hold their value pretty well compared to the competition. Land Cruisers are for people who honestly don't have the same objectives as most car buyers. Most of us plan to keep these trucks until they have hundreds of thousands of miles on them and value the fundamental quality of construction that makes them drive and survive like nothing else. We've heard legends of LCs bouncing around unforgiving terrain in Africa and Australia and still lasting decades, and a lot of us want to test that out for ourselves. These aren't just vehicles -- they're gateways to adventure and places we've never been but want to visit while still having the assurance that we'll make it back. It helps that they make nice daily drivers, but if that's all you need, there are honestly more practical options.

They cost $90k new, and $20k on the used market gets you a 100k mile, 15 year old vehicle. Most buyers are looking for infotainment systems, more than 14 mpg, crossovers rather than real SUVs and vehicles made in the last 5-6 years. The majority of buyers don't want old cars that cost as much as much newer ones with fewer miles when the primary benefits of the old car are simply that it will run forever and it rides nicely and it will deliver you from the depths of Hades should you decide to drag your RTT out there to catch the view.

Buyers with $90k have a lot of options, including new Mercs, BMWs and Audis and late model G Wagens and Range Rovers. Nearly all of those cars offer more features that are popular with most buyers today. That's why these trucks sell in low numbers when looking at the new car market.

To me, these really are enthusiast vehicles. If you are just looking for a nice car to drive to work or haul the kids, get a Highlander or Rav4 or Lexus RX. If you need something bigger, get a Sequoia. Those are all well-made cars that are pleasant to drive and are generally reliable. They also hold their value pretty well compared to the competition. Land Cruisers are for people who honestly don't have the same objectives as most car buyers. Most of us plan to keep these trucks until they have hundreds of thousands of miles on them and value the fundamental quality of construction that makes them drive and survive like nothing else. We've heard legends of LCs bouncing around unforgiving terrain in Africa and Australia and still lasting decades, and a lot of us want to test that out for ourselves. These aren't just vehicles -- they're gateways to adventure and places we've never been but want to visit while still having the assurance that we'll make it back. It helps that they make nice daily drivers, but if that's all you need, there are honestly more practical options.

Well F**KING said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom