5th gen 4runner or LC100 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The wording on this is a little confusing. Are you saying all T4R after '98 are all-wheel drive?
Only the 4wd versions. Some 97 4runners came with all wheel drive with H-N-L shifter with 4wd button on the side and some came with the J type shifter where you can select 2wd-H, 4wd-H and 4wd-L (I have this type) but prefer the All wheel drive as it is much safer on all terrains.

The ones with the knob dial are from the Limited, on the Limited models, it's full time AWD, you select hi and lo only.
But the Limited comes in 4x2 also?

more comfortable, better ride, reliable as a horse and feels solid as a rock. Maybe slightly bias here, but i really do enjoy getting in that car everyday - I can't say the same for the others (not that i didn't enjoy them, they just don't make you feel special... little weird maybe but hoping others here can relate).

I can relate 100%. I came to my LX from a full-sized Montero Limited that only had 83k on it. It was a great vehicle that is known the world over (as the "Pajero") as being extremely solid, but as well-built as it was, it feels like the minor leagues compared to the LX. I've driven a lot of 4runners (daily drove one for a month once as a rental), and there is simply no comparison between them and the LC in terms of build quality or driving experience. I'm not of the opinion that the LC is necessarily more capable off-road than a 4runner or that there are tons of on-paper areas where the LC is far more capable than a 4runner. But the LC is in another class in terms of the experience you get when owning it and having the privilege of being the one who drives it every day. To some people, on-paper specs are all that matter, and the LC is over-priced. To others, a 4runner is never quite good enough once they've gotten behind the wheel of an LC.

It's sort of like comparing a classic air-cooled 911 to a new Civic Si. The Civic goes almost as fast, has "better" technology and can fit more people. So only a dummy would think the 911 was anything but over-priced and outdated....unless that dummy had actually driven both.

The problem with the dial actuator is that the mechanism on the transfercase on 4th gen 4runners can get corroded/frozen and may not function when needed. It also have some sort of timing and when repaired you have to get it right otherwise you may not get the 4wd to function. If possible, stay with the proper shift lever

Only the 4wd versions. Some 97 4runners came with all wheel drive with H-N-L shifter with 4wd button on the side and some came with the J type shifter where you can select 2wd-H, 4wd-H and 4wd-L (I have this type) but prefer the All wheel drive as it is much safer on all terrains.
Also not true... AWD was not introduced in 4Runners until 1999. And even then, it was *selectable* AWD mode, not full-time, and was only available in the Limited trim.

The problem with the dial actuator is that the mechanism on the transfercase on 4th gen 4runners can get corroded/frozen and may not function when needed. It also have some sort of timing and when repaired you have to get it right otherwise you may not get the 4wd to function. If possible, stay with the proper shift lever
That's the exact reason why I waited for a SR5 Premium to pop up with the manual lever. I hate those cheap little dials, especially the transmission ones on other vehicles. Only one I've ever liked is the Toyota OEM locker dial:)

Bottom line is they each have their niche. Each comes with pros and cons that are superior or inferior depending on what your particular needs are. I agree though that the LC is more luxurious, more comfortable as a daily driver as well as over long-haul trips, handles load better, and is all around a more enjoyable vehicle to drive, wrench on (to an extent), and learn. The 4Runner has that 'basic' feel to it. You can tell Toyota focused heavily on the utility in sport utility vehicle when they designed it, and they didn't skip a beat. Besides the optional electronic dial shifter for the transfer case, most everything else has a more tactical input.

Hey guys!
What is the best investment 5th gen 4runner 2014-16 or LC100 04-05?
I know that LC build differently..but Time is always moving ..
What is going to be more reliable?
I know rubber parts ,gaskets .. will have impact on LC ... . 4runner it's a newer ..
Just need advice! What is best for reliability and ownership cost ?
4runner will be more expensive that's for sure ...like 30k$ ...LC about 17k$ !

Also, did you post this same question on the 4runnner forum (150 series). Please share the link if you did, curious as to what the other side thinks.

I really disliked the rental 5th gen 4Runner I had while I was replacing the slushbox in my LX. The window sills were too high to drive with your arm on the sill. The seats were not very ergonomic (6'1" here), sucked on a longer road trip. The V6 feels anemic at best to drive. My LX isn't fast by any means, but it felt way nicer than the V6 in the 5th gen. The suspension was comfortable, but the vehicle felt very bouncy and loose on the roads. You weren't "planted". A Land Cruiser really ruins other cars. My LX was also roomier in every sense of the word compared to the 5th gen. It all depends on what you like at the end of the day.

We have owned several 4 runners (120 and 150 series), as well as a 150 series GX460, and after spending 24 hours driving the GX over the last week I would say I prefer the hundo for all around drive-ability/wheel-ability. Not that it is not an amazing vehicle, but the LCs are one up IMHO. We are looking to get into a 200 series to replace the 460 now. I did like all the 4runners but the LC's are a different level as far as almost everything other than cost to purchase and cost of ownership.

My dad and aunt own 5th Gen T4Rs (SR5 and a TRD Trail). My uncle and cousin own 5th Gen T4r TRD Pros. They are all 4 quite nice and very capable. However, all 4 have continually complimented my 98 LX as feeling more solid ("tank-like" in their words) and noticeably quieter on the highway (despite mine having a bullbar, snorkel, full length roof rack with lots of accessories). My cost of ownership is much less as my entry cost was $10k vs $50k+ for them. T4Rs are great vehicles for sure. But, they simply aren't a LandCruiser.

crawl control is pretty cool though.

Once you become a cruiser head, there is almost no going back to another 4wd platform.
In fact you start hoarding:greedy:

My 99 LC is full time awd, locking tcase, rear factory locker.
GX470 = AWD with lockable center diff.
5th gen 4runner limited = full time 4wd, not sure on locking tcase but probably, I haven't driven one.
5th gen 4runner trail/trd offroad = part time manual tcase, rear factory locker
5th gen 4runner 4wd = button control part time tcase (same tcase just electric control) you pay more for manual!

Crawl control... I have it on my 4runner. Cool idea but damn it's the most annoying thing I've ever used. Works like a charm but the brake cycling is loud AF.

I just sold my new 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road for a 100 series. No regrets. I also looked at 200 series but a little more expensive. First year of ownership with the Taco - problem free, but the depreciation was a massive hit after they released the 2020 model. It was stagnant with the 2019 model release, but 2020 had some minor updates which really impacted the value of the truck.

I've driven the 5th gen 4Runner multiple times. It's boring and lacks character. If you want something more relevant/newer look at the 3rd gen Taco. It's more fun to drive than a T4R. The V6 in both suck, but the taco comes in 6 speed manual which makes it a hoot. Like many have said, the Landcruiser will feel way better in every way.

It really just comes down to your personal preference and goals. You came to the 100 series section, you're going to get a lot of bias comments. In other words, the 5th Gen is "cookie cutter" in my eyes. Not to say 100 series owners are elitist. lol

Test drive whatever you can for however long you can.

I stirred this pot to the tune of 6 pages of responses last year.

Remember the audience too, this is a Land Cruiser forum.

Thank you guys for answers ...!
Yeah I want a daily driving car .. LC100 will eat more gas for sure ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom