5th gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All!! I have the chance to latch-on to a H55 @ a very reasonable price but it has a problem. The rascal seems to slide out of 5th (not often) but on occasion :frown: all other functions work correctly and smooth:) The seller will be removing the unit next week for a transplant new unit, so I'm unable at this time to see the inner works to get an idea of whats going on. So my question is, anyone ever had or heard this problem, and what was the fix :confused:

Thanx :cheers:

The 5th gear hub of H55F transmissions are prone to this problem. Wear of the hub can start as a result of high loads on the transmission while in 5th gear (lugging up a hill, for example) or as a result of "rowing" back and forth between 5th and 4th while climbing a hill to try to maintain speed. Wear of the needle bearings that the 5th counter-gear rides on can also allow the gear to rock slightly which wears its hub. The first sign of trouble is the transmission popping out of 5th gear when not under load. Really need a visual inspection for an accurate diagnose.....;)

Thanks for the info. I hope to get it next week and take a look-see. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom