510FJ80 Build/Repair Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm battling this on my truck ATM as well, will will update you if I get anywhere with it today.
did you have any luck?

did you have any luck?
I got the truck started and timed about an hour ago, only broke in the cam and changed the oil so far.

No issues starting tonight, but then my starter didn't crap out until I'd cranked on it a LOT anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's a cheap reman, so I don't know if data points from me are of any use.

I got the truck started and timed about an hour ago, only broke in the cam and changed the oil so far.

No issues starting tonight, but then my starter didn't crap out until I'd cranked on it a LOT anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's a cheap reman, so I don't know if data points from me are of any use.
glad you got her goin, im sure she looks forward to more therapy ;)

Well, @jonheld was right; starter contacts. Thank you! I'll post up some pictures later of the process, pretty easy really after getting the starter out. Looks like I had a reman denso starter already. Been about a month now and no starting issues at all. Also replaced the fusible links as it was starting to look old and crappy.

1. Disconnect neg battery terminal
2. climb under and locate the starter. PS of engine, all the way in the back(3fe). remove the two connectors, i believe the nut connector first, then the black plug.
3. remove lower starter bolt. I did this from underneath the vehicle. No lift, just stock on the ground.
4. remove upper nut/bolt. I was able to reach this from the top of the engine bay and needed a 6" extension on the socket to get wrenching room.
5. gently pull starter down and i was able to float it above the control arm towards the front and then drop it down.
6. open the back plate, pull out the old contacts and plunger, clean up inside, and install the new contact sets according the fsm diagram. You will want a little ~2"x3" ish size block to keep the contacts level while you tighten them in. I ended up checking the plunger contact 3x times before i was happy they were even.
7. reverse order, I added DI-electric grease to some of the electrical connections as well.
8. start her up and congratulate yourself.

Been driving great so far. She got a little hot in the recent heat wave, so I'm thinking of doing a coolant flush and refill. Got the thermostat and new rad cap on order. Hoses look ok. Both top and lower rad hoses feel the same to the touch after the car is warm. Coolant looks like just water or maybe super diluted green. Definitely want to replace with the correct 50/50 mix. Also coolant doesn't seem to be flowing back into the rad from the overflow, and liquid level is above max. Bought a cheap replacement rad cap while i wait for the OEM to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Did a coolant flush yesterday and today. Opened petcock and flushed with a hose. Refilled with 15 gallons of distilled water, 2.5 gal at a time. Running the car with both heaters on for 10 mins before waiting for water to cool and draining/refilling again. "coolant" started out looking like rusty mud water with some dip spit mixed in...... gross :cheers:. After about ~8 or more flushes, the water was coming out a slightly tinted clear. I filled it up with some red, new thermostat and gaskets. Can't say this job has ever been done, at least to this degree in a long time on this vehicle, though I am no expert. Hopefully this will help for some time to come, and let her run in some warmer conditions. Definitely feel accomplished today :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom