5-speed in a fj40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As far as putting a 5 speed in an fj40, what are your options..nv4500 and h55. how much does it cost to do this to a 2F or would it be cheaper to get an overdrive unit? also was there ever a 40 made with the older styler front doors and the rear lift door with a 2F engine or did toyota switch the doors with the engine. i had heard the late 74 models had the early doors and 2F. thanks

I'm not sure about late 74's but all the 74's I know of have an updated F, and early doors. Never heard of 74 with a 2f period, (other than 55's).

ok, it makes sense. its just i honestly love the ealr styler doors(front and rear) but the 2F seems a little more road worthy. i think i have only seen one 74 w/ a 2f and 4 speed but it must have been built like that. question, what do you mean by updated..does it still have the 3 speed.

As far as I know the 2F and the thicker doors made their debut in 1/75'...

There are transition F's that had the oiling of a 2F...

The late F's (74) have the 2F oiling system, and IIRC a different carb and dist. than other F's. 74 was the transition year from 3 spd to 4 spd, mine has a 3. All 74's regardless of tranny have the 3 spd t-case.
The earlier style hatch and two bottom doors IMO is better, however, the early style front doors have outdated rattly latches and are more prone to rattle and not seal tightly like the late model doors because of their two-piece design.
The 2F in and of itself is not more road-worthy than the F, the 4 spd with disc brakes up front is really what makes the difference between all F engined cruisers, and post 75 2F engined crusiers.

Remember the the H55F will not bolt to your existing transfer case, you will need to update to the newer FJ60 split case. This plays a big role when pricing your options...

Roughly:
H55F $2800 (H55F ~$2000 from Toyota
NV4500 $4000 (AA kit)

Don't forget the NV4500 also extremely shortens your rear driveshaft.
Most people say to not fool with the independent O/D's, most of them whine, etc.
IMO the H55F is your best option.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=7944;start=msg66950#msg66950 date=1069632374]
Damn Kurt... 1 sec. :eek: :flipoff2:
[/quote]

:D But yours was a far better description... a good one too! Covered all the major changes 8)

CruisinGA. damn. for being the same age you seem to know alot more than i do. well thanks. one more thing though, what is the difference in a split case and the other transfer case. dont even know what other one there is b/c my 82 has a split case. also what can you 74 do on the highway? do you have any pics of you 40 or a webpage? thanks again. this forum beats any others

[quote author=cruiseroutfit link=board=1;threadid=7944;start=msg66956#msg66956 date=1069632648]
:D But yours was a far better description... a good one too! Covered all the major changes 8)
[/quote]
I'm just a long-worded windbag. :D :cheers:

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=7944;start=msg66960#msg66960 date=1069633069]
CruisinGA. damn. for being the same age you seem to know alot more than i do. well thanks. one more thing though, what is the difference in a split case and the other transfer case. dont even know what other one there is b/c my 82 has a split case. also what can you 74 do on the highway? do you have any pics of you 40 or a webpage? thanks again. this forum beats any others
[/quote]
Its probably a good thing you don't know as much, I spend waaay too much time workin/readin and thinkin about cruisers.
Are you sure your 82 has a split? IIRC, splits only came stock in 84 cruisers which are rare to begin with.
I have done 80. Downhill. With a tailwind. That was before 33's and my engine was a little less tired. Now I think* I can run a solid 70, with lane changes at maybe 75. I am not sure because my speedo reads 20 at a standstill at 40 when I'm passing people on the road. When I get my GPS for christmas that will change though. I do have a webpage but it is in dire need of update and repair, heres a pic I took tonight:
current%20cruiser.jpg

P.S. Bezel Nazi, aka Dave, I fixed my bezel last night so I wouldn't get anymore bezel comments whenever I post a pic.

Bwahhahahahahahahah!
I caught that before I read your comment, Bailey

Looks great!

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=7944;start=msg66992#msg66992 date=1069638218]
thats a nice 40. do you have rust issues? also do you have p/s

[/quote]
Step one of PS is happening this week (new TRE's and Center arm rebuild).
Disk brake parts are soon to be on their way..(Thanks Markus!)
Got every single part needed to do a SM420 conv....except the 420. :whoops:
Very little rust. Other than a somewhat warped rear crossmember the frame is perfect. Only rust is bottom of rear quarters and raingutter which is now in the dump. Was completely unmodified (but used hard) when I bought it, has a crappy PO paint job (why there is surface rust around the edges) and a good PO undercoating.
I'm going with Minitruck PS as a temporary standby until I eventually go fj60 when the truck gets sprungover in a few years.
Thanks Dave!
Drives much better now, spent nearly all of this weekend workin on the cruiser, about 15 hours. Finally got the York hooked up and pumpin correctly. Way too cool.
:D :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom