4XInnovation Slider install on the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80toyman

...One Landcruiser at a time
Threads
So I finally got to it and put the 4xInnovation sliders on this weekend. They went on easier than I thought, there were a few snags but generally with the help of my son and a pair of jackstands they were on in about 1 1/2 hours.

Here's a few pics to show how it went.

Lining them up before they go on:

PS_Small_before.jpg

Jackstands are necessary or at least make the job a lot easier, the PS middle bracket is going to be the tough one here. It goes around the frame by the exhaust pipe hanger bolt.

PS_inplace_stands.jpg

This looks like an interference problem...

Exh_brkt_PS_Small.jpg

...but with a little coaxing from the floor jack, it 'pops' into place. The front 4 bolts behind the twin cats to the frame go in smoothly. I ran a tap into the holes to clean them out beforehand, I'm pretty sure that helped.

PS_brkt_jack.jpg

After install, I trimmed the front mudflaps to go around the sliders. My truck didn't have sidesteps and no rear pieces that needed trimming.

DS_flap_mod.jpg

Here are a few more pics to show how they line up and the protection they offer, especially with the rear kickouts.

A few from the DS:

DS_installed.jpg

DS_installed_frnt.jpg

...and on the PS:

PS_installed.jpg

Overall they seem extremely burly, but no chance to scrape 'em up yet. I painted them with Duplicolor satin black from a rattle can, primed before that with Duplicolor green primer. I really like that paint, goes on smooth, dries quick, very good stuff and I can touch up easily after they do their job.

I finished the job in the dark and I wanted to try them out with the Hi-Lift for strength but ran out of time. I'll post up more when I get a chance to do that.

Adam from 4xInnovation was great to work with, everything promised was delivered, good guy.

Dan.

Good looking set of sliders Dan. I look forward to watching you flog them. :grinpimp:

Looks great Dan, thanks for the pics and write up!

A tip for others, when we did the first set we actually removed that bolt and slid the slider bracket behind the exhaust hanger and then bolted it back down. That hole isn't as big in the final production sliders we're building now. I've got install instructions in the plans, but haven't gotten them done....

They look great. I wish they made them for the earlier 80s. :doh:

Thanks for the write up. These are on the christmas list.

When are we gonna see these for the 94-down guys. Nice work I would like a set of these and the price is good too.

When are we gonna see these for the 94-down guys. Nice work I would like a set of these and the price is good too.

I'm still trying to find an 80 in those years I can use to prototype these with. I've got one lead I'm working on, but not much else. :(

Looks great Dan, thanks for the pics and write up!

A tip for others, when we did the first set we actually removed that bolt and slid the slider bracket behind the exhaust hanger and then bolted it back down. That hole isn't as big in the final production sliders we're building now. I've got install instructions in the plans, but haven't gotten them done....

My "Plan B" was to remove that bolt and use a longer one with a fender washer to hold that bracket. Since it slid over nicely, it solved it's own problem.
Is that now a smaller hole with a longer metric bolt included for that bracket? That would be a no-brainer.

One thing I did have to do with the "U" brackets was to force them together with a C-Clamp so I could get the nut on the bolt. Longer bolts would help, but I didn't need to deal with the extra length once I got the nut started.

My "Plan B" was to remove that bolt and use a longer one with a fender washer to hold that bracket. Since it slid over nicely, it solved it's own problem.
Is that now a smaller hole with a longer metric bolt included for that bracket? That would be a no-brainer.

One thing I did have to do with the "U" brackets was to force them together with a C-Clamp so I could get the nut on the bolt. Longer bolts would help, but I didn't need to deal with the extra length once I got the nut started.

Yes, and no. It is a smaller hole so a huge fender washer is not needed, but I don't include a longer bolt. The stock bolt there is plenty long to go through the 1/4" plate and still have full engagement in the nut.

That does not exactly surprise me, we have run into that here. It is caused by the manufacturing process we use for those U brackets, but having them be one solid piece is of more than enough benefit to make this inconvenience worth while. I haven't found any bolts that have more than 1 inch of thread on them and aren't overly high priced though. I normally use one of the longer bolts to get them started on one hole and a smaller bolt on the other hole, then swap. I'll be sure to include a blurb about that in the install instructions, and I'll check out the wider parts to see if I should include one longer bolt for them to help get it started.

Looks great! Keep us posted on how they hold up.

are those the standard strength or the thicker steel ones he sells??

These are the standard wall sliders, however there's actually no difference in the look of the heavier sets as they have the same outside dimensions.

12MPG, Thanks for the order!

Any word on 91-92 versions?

I'm still trying to find an 80 in those years I can use to prototype these with. I've got one lead I'm working on, but not much else. :(

Man I sure I was closer. Those sliders look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom