4x4Labs Summer 2019 Group Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. It has not. I have been buying and installing Luke's bumpers for years and the prices have remained pretty consistent. He may have gone up a little. Over 10-12 years, what has not. But his bumper price has not jumped by "almost a thousand dollars". In fact, while I can not remember exact prices from when I first started buying these, I would be surprised if the increase is over 10-15 percent in that time span.

When you consider that his basic (finished, not kit) rear bumper for an '80 series with no options is under $1000 , your comments really are not accurate.

Mark...

That may be true for the kits, I can’t weld and need the built ones. I remember seeing a finished bumper with swing out and attachments for just under 2K, now they are $2600. It could be my memory failing me but the finished bumper price has jumped a lot. I was shocked by the price and had to take a second look. Yes, I’m a cheap a$$.

That may be true for the kits, I can’t weld and need the built ones. I remember seeing a finished bumper with swing out and attachments for just under 2K, now they are $2600. It could be my memory failing me but the finished bumper price has jumped a lot.

The most expensive bumper I see listed on his website for an '80 series is $2200. Not sure where you see one for $2600. If you remember seeing the same bumper for "just under 2K"... that is about a 15% increase. And nowhere near an "almost $1000 price jump. Even if we use your number of $2600, it is nowhere near a $1000 price jump.

And I was not referring to the kits. I was talking about finished bumpers, and the kits too.

Mark...

The most expensive bumper I see listed on his website for an '80 series is $2200. Not sure where you see one for $2600. If you remember seeing the same bumper for "just under 2K"... that is about a 15% increase. And nowhere near an "almost $1000 price jump. Even if we use your number of $2600, it is nowhere near a $1000 price jump.

And I was not referring to the kits. I was talking about finished bumpers, and the kits too.

Mark...

Aging is a terrible thing! I went to look again and you are correct, the top configuration is 2200, not 2600. Not sure where I saw that, must of have my wires crossed.

The config I want is 1750 and with GB 10 % off is tempting.🤔

Thanks for correcting my Unexplained dementia.:bang:

Aging is a terrible thing! I went to look again and you are correct, the top configuration is 2200, not 2600. Not sure where I saw that, must of have my wires crossed.

The config I want is 1750 and with GB 10 % off is tempting.🤔

Thanks for correcting my Unexplained dementia.:bang:

Hey! We managed to disagree on the internet without anger! And *I* managed to not be a jerk. Cool. ;)

(Edit... Not saying that YOU were a jerk LOL... just that too often I can come across that way. ;) )

I do weld. But it is tough to build one of the kits and have it turn out as perfect as all of the complete units I have seen come out of Luke's place. Generally for customers I urge them to bite the bullet on shipping and buy it already built. But I will be needing to pick up at least four of them myself soon and I probably will go with the kits when I do.

Mark...

Last edited:
Hey! We managed to disagree with managed to disagree on the internet without anger! And *I* managed to not be a jerk. Cool. ;)

(Edit... Not saying that YOU were a jerk LOL... just that too often I can come across that way. ;) )

I do weld. But it is tough to build one of the kits and have it turn out as perfect as all of the complete units I have seen come out of Luke's place. Generally for customers I urge them to bite the bullet on shipping and buy it already built. But I will be needing to pick up at least four of them myself soon and I probably will go with the kits when I do.

Mark...

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, not a big deal, not the first time and definitely won’t be the last time. No, you didn’t come off as a jerk, just made me look again and wonder what my brain went. :mad:

I happen to be somewhat local which makes it that much more tempting. Although I have too many projects going on right now, will have to think it over a little more.

just don't like the commitment of the same bumper for the life of the truck based on the chop. I have no doubt its bomber and good looking and functional. I love the bumper, not the commitment.

The chop is not really a big deal if you are planning ahead when you do it. Not that hard to reverse it. We save the cutoffs for repairing rigs that have been rear ended and the bumper support has folded in.

I spoke to 4x4Labs today about a rear bumper for my 80. I asked about the possibility of a group buy and they offered to do their usual 10% if we can get 10 orders rounded up.

Who's in?

Additional info:
I spoke with them again today and confirmed that this deal will be good for anything in their online store, so yes to kits vs complete bumpers and yes to sliders.

Please message me directly with your email address; they asked that I submit the list to them directly so they can reach out by email and complete the transactions.

The list so far:
1) Myself
2) JZelnick
3) KC masterpiece
4) SammyB
5) OffRoadScott

Need 5 more to make this happen.
Is this still going on? I’d like to be added to the list for an 80 rear basic bumper kit with no swingouts and I know @Land Speeder would like a 100 rear kit bumper.

Last edited:
@adamf thanks for organizing the group buy. Coincidentally I was in Lake Tahoe for a wedding and was able to drop by the 4x4labs shop for a quick tour. Luke was out of town but I was given the shop tour by Ryan "HD". Great guy and took the time out of his day to talk to me about the bumpers and answer my questions. He also had a sweet 5th Gen 4R like me. The guys were working hard on a Monday afternoon. I can say without a doubt these bumpers are the real deal. Coming from the 5th gen 4Runner world where all the bumpers seem overbuild, complicated, need a million brackets to install these bumper seem simple, stout, and actually increase your departure angle. Most other bumper just attach to your rear cross member so you gain very little in off-road performance. They have a nice big shop, organized parts by models and years, and they have in-house powder coating. I'm still on the fence if I need a bumper or not but when the time comes this will be the bumper I get.

IMG_20190624_165325.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else from the Phoenix area in on this group buy? We usually have group shipping to our shop in Mesa.

Very tempting....

I wish this whole "buying a house" thing wasn't in the way of my wife letting me pick up some sliders...

Anyone talk to Luke about progress/completion dates? I hate to bother him if someone else has an update.

Anyone talk to Luke about progress/completion dates? I hate to bother him if someone else has an update.

I called a few days ago and he said they had been running a pretty consistent 6 week lead time on orders. Didn't give me specifics on mine but I didn't press him. Sounded like the shop was crazy busy in the background.

Ordered a rear on 7/4 so I'm sure I have a few weeks left. Double swingout no powdercoat.

I called 4x4Labs today to see if I could add something on to my order and it sounded like they were working on my bumper and about to start on my swing-arms. Good thing too since I wanted to add a 2" hitch receiver on the tire swing side to accommodate a bike rack. Ryan added to my order no problems. I ordered on 7/19 so it does sound like they are still at a 6-week lead time.

Excited for it to be done.

What's the deal with the powder coating quality and longevity concerns?
Anyone ever talk to the guys at 4X4 Labs about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom