4Wd lever on the dash. Also, seat question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 69 FJ40 has the 4WD lever on the dash. I have been looking around, and I have not seen a whole lot of that. What is the signifigane of this?

Also, I am going to have to replace my seats, they are too far gone. What seat is good application?

It's actually UNDER the dash, isn't it? It is part of the vac shifted transfer case and you can see the details here: Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 072-Vacuum Transfer Shift Assembly

There should be a knob on the dash that engages 4-wheel drive and the lever gives you Hi, Lo and Neutral positions.

I know a lot of guys don't like this set-up and replace it, but I had a '71 with it for nearly 10 years and it never failed me once.

Pete

I believe at one time Toyota touted being able to have three people ride in the front seats. Everything in the dash allows leg room in the middle of the seat. The vacuum-actuated front wheel drive (FD) button is just under the dash. Pull that to engage the front wheels. The t-case lever is mechanical and under the dash. Pull that forward to engage the low gear.

As far as seats, the world is your oyster. I think the "search" button will yield results.

It is actually on the dash, like the first one shown on the link. I just bought this thing, does that mean it is not a 69? Also, the VAC system is greek to me. Could you give me the cliff notes explanation of the th fundamentals? Thanks a lot!

basically your engine sucks. that is what vacuum is. my 67 has the vacuum 4wd as well. the vacuum system for you 4wd start on the manifold with a hose that then runs to the vavle that is activated by your FD pull knob. When activated this allows you to shift the transfer case from 4H-N-4L. granted your 4wd only works if your hubs are engaged. I have never had a problem with my vacuum 4wd plus when combo'd with a 3 on the tree it gives you tons of room up front for that special lady or the pet of your choice. As far as seats go there are plenty of options I used subaru seats with the height adjustment lever on the drivers side. I left the stock bench on the passenger side, that way it can still sit 3 if needed. post some pictures of you 4wd levers and some of the linkage to the transfer case I can let you know whether or not it is a 69 I just went through all that stuff last night when finishing up my engine rebuild. Good luck and enjoy your 40.

It is actually on the dash, like the first one shown on the link. I just bought this thing, does that mean it is not a 69?

Easy answer. On the passanger side front frame rail is your VIN number. Get it. Then go here and look up your year. There should also be a VIN tag on the A-pillar, drivers side, that will have the build date, IIRC. I have a May 1969 FJ40 titled as a 1970 model.

HI,

The older fj40 and fj45 have transfer case shifting leavers located on the dash. I'm pretty sure the 67 and older are this way. I can't remember when they started putting them under the dash. I think they started in 69 with under the dash. My 71 has it under the dash. Just wanted to let you know they did have them on the dash.

You might want to check your frame vine number and tag on the body. Some one might have changed the vine tag. ?

'68 was the first year of dash pads and below-dash transfer case H-N-L shifter.

My frame number is 35206. i couldn't find it on the chart. The tail lights say 64, I know that doesen't mean much, but the plate under the hood has a little round tag attached to it with the number 66 on it.

I think you are supposed to find the frame number closest to yours and that will tell you the month and year your FJ40 was produced. Otherwise we'd all have the same VIN based on production date. This way they still remain an individual number. But I could be wrong. It appears you have a May 1965. That's just a little bit different than 1969 I'd say.

Yep, 5/65 manufacture.

Alright. So as far as ordering parts, what is my year range? Even though the lights say 64, and the plate says 66, we all concour that it's a 65? That kind of complicates getting parts doesent it? I rebuilt the Clutch and brake master cylinders with parts i ordered for a 69. This is freaking me out a little...

I used to own a '70 that had the 4WD wand under the dash... It was a bolt-action(3 on the tree).

The tag with 66 on it means it was first registered in 1966. Often they sat on the dealer's lot for a year. No matter, it's a 65.

I don't know what you mean by the tail lights saying 64: is it stamped on them? Still no matter, it's a 65.

Maybe someone thought the "5" was a "9". Those numbers sometimes were hard to read.

Most, but not all, stuff 66 and earlier will fit, some 67 and later stuff, too. Ask as it comes up, it's what we're here for. Check out the SOR site. You'll learn.

Thanks, I'm sure i will learn. The tail light lenses on most vehicles have a SAE # that indicates the year of manufacture. Mine say 64. Any advice on where to get a manual for this thing?

I'm sure they used 64 lenses on 65 trucks. I got my best manuals on EBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom