4speed neutral position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi is that what the alinement looks like in neutral ( Hijacked picture) ignore red pointers Just trying to solve my locked into gear trans problem.

Thanks
1685706120899.png

Drop the shifter in and you should be good to go. All the shift gates need to be aligned as in your picture. If they are not aligned when the shifter is installed you will have issues.

Hi is that what the alinement looks like in neutral ( Hijacked picture) ignore red pointers Just trying to solve my locked into gear trans problem.

Thanks
View attachment 3338240
Can you turn the input or output shafts?
If not remove the cover and look at the synchro's to see if they are locked up. If one is locked up the ring will be out of alignment and you can take a flat blade screwdriver and pop it back into alignment.

You didn't have to remove the shift tower to get the gates aligned. Just the shift cane. With the shift tower off, you don't have spring pressure pushing the three balls down into the shift rail detents which will hold the alignment more positively in place. If you removed the tower because you had trouble removing the shift cane, "HERE" is one method that works for me. Hope you didn't loose the three detent springs. Sometimes when the shift tower comes off, the springs stick to it then fall off & get lost or even un-noticed.

Also, removing just the shift cane, you don't have to remove the hump.

Some more background to the story I bought the truck in boxes two years ago and I have blasted and treated the frame, cut out and replaced 65% of the body and replaced it with steel with out any rust holes
I have painted it’s underside and all the bits and pieces
I have installed the engine and trans with transfer case and when I put the shift stick in it was locked in gear . I do remember turning the drive shaft side of the transfer case and I think the input side was turning as well.
I think I should be able to line up the gates and it should be good

If the top cover the transmission was removed prior to you getting the vehicle and then small fork for the reverse was not on the pin in the lever that moves the reverse gear it doesn't matter if the area the shifter goes in is lined up if the reverse gear is engaged on it's own the gears will be locked up. Same holds true for the two larger forks being the correct collars just easier to miss the small one on the side for the reverse gear

No problem just lined up the gates and good to go.

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom