4runner rear leaf spring center pin alignment help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devilmans Hand

TLCA #19517
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
hello everyone

So i've been messing with the rear springs on the 4runner today.

I took one side off and added a couple long leafs to the pack from a skyjacker tacoma set Tom gave me a while back.

I reused the main spring and the second spring from the stock pack, and then two long leaves and the overload leaf from the tacoma set.

When I try and install the spring I cannot get the center pin to line up w/ the hole on top of the axle housing. It is off by about an inch and a half or so, sitting forward of the hole.

The 4runner uses a spring over configuration.

I tried jacking up the axle and wiggling it forward to try and line up the pin/hole, but i did not succeed.

I remember having issues lining up the center pin when swapping out axles on Steve's truck and swapping springs on Bart's truck. I don't remember how we solved those problems.

I'm thinking that because I changed the curve of the pack while unloaded that the uncompressed lengths are slightly off.

Should I try and ratchet-strap the axle forward to try and pull the axle to the pin?
Is the stock spring pack on the other side locating the other side of the axle fixed just enough to disallow a little twisting of the axle? And should I unbolt the u-bolts from the other side first?
Am I just SOL and need to do some drilling or modify the spring pack so it is a little more flexy?
Other solution?

right now the modified side sits about 2" higher than the stock saggy side. :meh:

Last edited:
just had an idea.

use a jack on the front half of the spring and compress it to decrease the arch and increase the linear length. then use a second jack to jack up the axle and align the pin. Maybe some ratchet strap action if needed.

Watch out using jacks or jack stands on springs without the axle connected. My neighbor literally pulverized his hand that way.
Did you disconnect the drive shaft? If you let the axle sag with the DS connected then try to push it back up and forward, it will fight you.
Also, is your new leaf pack taller than the old one? That will also cause misalignment issues.

axle not connected on one side, connected on the other. drive shaft still connected. I don't want to fight that monster. when I disconnect the other side i'll support the pumpkin from rotating just in case the drive shaft slips out.
both spring pins are attached, so i think the risk of hitting myself with the spring is minimal in this case. The only way I could pin myself is if i placed my fingers between the spring and axle while the spring is compressed.

compressing the front half of the spring will take some planning so the jack does not slip off. I was thinking about tying the jack to the spring.

the spring pack now has greater arch for the lift. it should still fit once I compress the spring.

If I understand your procedure, you have one new spring pack configuration that you are attempting to bolt up, while the other side is in stock spring pack configuration, causing the mis-alignment.

I've done 60 springs front and rear, where I added new spring packs. Was easily done by dropping both spring shackles then hangars, removing axle, installing new springs to hangars, installing axle to springs, then using floor jack to get springs lined up to the shackles.

:wrench:

everyone likes pichures

Finally got my big boy shoes on the 4runner

2013-03-13_17-11-18_908_zps259a9898.jpg

2013-03-13_17-11-09_774_zps4654ce9e.jpg

2013-03-13_17-11-30_855_zpsf1254e54.jpg

2013-03-13_17-10-50_648_zpsf07b2b5e.jpg

still need to put the shocks back on, then cut and tighten the u-bolts. and reconnect the parking brake cables. the hanging plug is a decorative ABS sensor. Anyone need one?
2013-03-13_17-12-07_613_zpsf6647d92.jpg

Hot Damn , that looks like a wheelin truck.

thats what i'm thinking. 33s, rear locked, beefy steel bumpers, i'll put the winch in there some day, cb, and a comfortable captains chair.
I'm in business.

The sliders are sittin in the rear cargo area waiting to weld up.

I just upgraded the front brakes to the v6calipers, rotors, mc w/ booster

Looks good! Ready for GSMTR!

Lookin good Sam. I'd get some longer Ubolts though. :flipoff2:

lol. They were a last minute purchase. I was at the "screw this (and flips Monolopy board)" moment. People must love lift blocks, b/c that was the only length ubolt in the correct size that I could source locally.

I'd love to head to GSMTR, but I'll be walking for my diploma that weekend. :D

Seems to drive pretty well. Springs are flexy enough. Think the stock shocks will limit my down travel. 4.88s make it peppy. It drives better with the 33" than w/ the 28"tires. The autolocker is taking some getting used to, i upped the tire pressure to 40lbs and power through the corners in 2nd or 1st gear.
Thanks again to Vince for setting the backlash on the rear diff!

Brakes are not overrated. The v6 calipers, rotors, mc, and double diaphragm booster are awesome. Before the swap my old braking system was scary. Fyi, advanced auto does not have the correct remanufactured calipers. They tried to give me some POS giant single piston caliper instead of the toyota hot rod big 4 piston type. However, if you ever buy parts from them be sure to buy online with coupons and pick up in the store. You can routinely save $40 for every $100 of merchandise.

Now i need a step ladder to work on the engine.

I put the clutch in during slow turns and it was still popping a bit. I wonder if my clutch is not properly adjusted or maybe there is a slight "break-in" period w/ the Spartan auto-locker.
The spartan locker in the 4runner feels a bit different than the autolocker in my borrowed trooper. The 4runner tires are def more grippy.

I'll play w/ the tire pressure and use the chalk method to figure out what tire pressure works best in the 4runner. I wanted to make sure that the tire beads were seated properly b/c I mounted the tires myself. The higher tire pressure helped to decrease some of the parking lot popping, but I agree that the pressure is too high. Before I had only 20lbs in the tires, which was too low.
People in the tire section of the forum are running between 30lbs and 40lbs depending on load w/ the 33/1050/15 km2. They're mostly cruisers though, which are a bit heavier.
I'm guessin that 34lbs will be money.

I'd love to head to GSMTR, but I'll be walking for my diploma that weekend. :D

Congratulations, Sam!

The Trooper has an Aussie locker installed by Independent4x down in Ashland. Trying to remember when I got it installed, think it was late 2009 or 2010. Probably 20-30k miles on it.

Your 4Runner looks good! When Bart's finished with my welder, maybe he'll weld the sliders on for you! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom