4Runner: Length of sleeping area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Front to back, 2nd row seats out or down, what is the approximate available length of a sleeping platform in 4Runners of various generations?

Giving some preliminary thought to an expo build and was wondering how feasible it would be to sleep inside.

Mark

Mark,

I've owned 1st through 3rd generation 4Runners, currently own 2nd generation but it's out of state so can't measure at this time. All I can tell you is that 3rd generation surprisingly has as much length for sleeping as my FJ62. If anything, it seemed even a bit more roomy. But I'm 6'5" and slept diagonally in both.
Haven't tried sleeping in 1st or 2nd so far. My guess is that there wouldn't be much difference between them and 3rd generation. However, a little bit of length can make a big difference when you barely fit!

I'm 6' and have slept in my 60. It was summer and I opened and "tented" the rear hatch and gate. That gave me enough to sleep not diagonally.

I'm thinking if a 4Runner is my expo vehicle that I'd likely have a RTT but could see that occasionally sleeping inside would be preferable. I was thinking that if I was going to be alone maybe some structure with the front passenger seat folded down would gain some usable length down that side.

I'm 6' and have slept in my 60. It was summer and I opened and "tented" the rear hatch and gate. That gave me enough to sleep not diagonally.

I'm thinking if a 4Runner is my expo vehicle that I'd likely have a RTT but could see that occasionally sleeping inside would be preferable. I was thinking that if I was going to be alone maybe some structure with the front passenger seat folded down would gain some usable length down that side.
I'll try to measure mine later. I know u can install a tent on the back with the hatch open which would give u more room.

3rd Gen 4Runner:
5'-6'' length with 2nd row down, 3'-2'' width between the wheel well humps.

What do you think could be gained with the front passenger seat folded (forward or back, as low as possible)? Might that result in suitable space if a platform was on top of the wheel well (or thereabouts to clear the folded front seat) and running as far forward as practical?

I know this would require a bit of engineering to make happen but it would be nice to leave the truck drivable by sticking to the passenger side and to have at least 7' length.

I really need to crawl around in one to see for myself I know.....

The bottom of the rear seats fold up and the back fold down level with the back. The bottom of the back seat is higher then the back when folding down. Could build a platform that is level with the bottom section folded up. Hinge it so the front section is on top of the back section with the back seat folded up. Fold the back seat down and flip the platform down and you extend the length.

That's how the FJ60/62 2nd row seats fold down. Do any generation of 4Runner fold the second row differently (flatter?)

I had removed the 2nd row seat bottom hinge pin and replaced it with a removable hitch pin. That way it was a 10 second exercise to remove the seat bottom. If the 4Runner seat bottom hinges are the same that would be an option too.... heck: remove the 2md row seat on one side entirely! Then fold the pass front seat as flat/low as possible...

Same i have to sleep diagonal im 6' 3" my scouts hate me when i spend a cold night in the runner while their in their tents i just tell them im not in scouts you are LOL :rofl:

might have more room in an 80, I sleep in mine no problem and I'm 5'10". I made a platform that rests on the middle and third row seats when their folded down and I have plenty of room

I'm 6'1" and have slept straight in my 3rd gen. After taking out the butt pad part of the rear seat, the backrest folded down flat. With the buttpad removed, there was space for my feet to hang off the now-folded seat. I had to put my head at the back and hang my feet off the folded-down rear seat (into the space where the buttpad would have folded up) but I didn't have to slide the driver's seat forward, and my feet hanging off didn't mind my feet hanging off.
The seat buttpad is held on with two bolts, so I eaeily removed it before I left on that trip.

Last edited:
Remove 2nd row seats if only 2??

The seat buttpad is held on with two bolts, so I eaeily removed it before I left on that trip.

FWIW in my FJ60 I replaced the hinge pins for the seat bottoms (hinge to the floor) with latch pins for quick removal...
415F61_Pin_D-shape_1024x1024.jpg

Did you end up going with a 3rd gen? I built a platform that is semi-permanent in the cargo area, with leafs that spread it out over the rear seat bottoms when they’re folded down. Gives me 6’6” of length but not a lot of head room

E9EE706F-BF8F-417D-9D96-C9804C7A3DC9.jpeg

I built a platform in the back of mine. Semi-permanent as the cargo area stays and I have a separate piece that I can put in when I take the back seats out. This platform allows me to put approximately a standard full size mattress in. Mine is actually ~52"x73.5" and all foam so that it can squish around some of the plastic that sticks out and takes up a bit of space. My platform is 6" tall with a 6" foam mattress. Pretty nice inside. Bit tight on head room but I manage... It was a whole lot cheaper than a RTT so that is why I went for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom