460 blown motor swap help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GGX

Threads
Hi, I’ve got a 2010 gx460 with a blown motor. I’ve been looking for a donor motor and found a 2017 engine that was local with much lower miles. I was wondering if that would work or not

Not an expert, but not looking good...

Hi, I’ve got a 2010 gx460 with a blown motor. I’ve been looking for a donor motor and found a 2017 engine that was local with much lower miles. I was wondering if that would work or not
I don't know, but I will say that the biggest difficulty will usually be changes in electronics and sensors suites in the 7 years... again I don't know of anything specific for the GX but that is usually what trips people up for modern motors.

I don't know, but I will say that the biggest difficulty will usually be changes in electronics and sensors suites in the 7 years... again I don't know of anything specific for the GX but that is usually what trips people up for modern motors.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. I was going to reuse all the sensors from the current vehicle and use the block only. I’ve called well over 20 Lexus dealers. Most said yes it’ll work but they’re unsure about the electronics

Might be worth shooting Lexus' tech support / customer service an email to see if they can help at all. Might lead you to an answer; worst that happens is they don't respond.
Thanks, yea I’ve called well over 20 dealers and most of them say it’ll fit. The sensors is what I might run into some problem’s because they might be different. I’ll email them though, they might have the real experts behind a desk lol

Thanks, yea I’ve called well over 20 dealers and most of them say it’ll fit. The sensors is what I might run into some problem’s because they might be different. I’ll email them though, they might have the real experts behind a desk lol
A few years back I had to email Toyota to confirm a few things before importing a vehicle and they were quick to respond and very helpful. I'd like to think Lexus would be even more so.

Can you get the matching ECU from the '17? Or are you hoping your current ECU and harness are compatible with the new engine? There are a series of different part numbers listed in the thread I linked. Not sure of the implications, though.

Can you get the matching ECU from the '17? Or are you hoping your current ECU and harness are compatible with the new engine? There are a series of different part numbers listed in the thread I linked. Not sure of the implications, though.
I might be able to get the ECU out of it

I might be able to get the ECU out of it
You would probably need the harness to support all the sensors to make sure they're the same for the inputs to the ECU.

What happend to the motor?
Original owner was driving then the vehicle started to smoke. He then continued to drive it while it was smoking until it turned off. Water pump failure, then overheated causing 5 out of 8 cylinders to lose compression pretty much. Vehicle can turn on but only for about 1 second u til it turns off

Original owner was driving then the vehicle started to smoke. He then continued to drive it while it was smoking until it turned off. Water pump failure, then overheated causing 5 out of 8 cylinders to lose compression pretty much. Vehicle can turn on but only for about 1 second u til it turns off
Often when overheating it is just the aluminum heads that warp. I overheated a car (inline 4) on the interstate until it died and replacing the head was all it needed. I would make sure that isn't all it needs before buying a new engine. The bottom end may still be ok.

Often when overheating it is just the aluminum heads that warp. I overheated a car (inline 4) on the interstate until it died and replacing the head was all it needed. I would make sure that isn't all it needs before buying a new engine. The bottom end may still be ok.
I’ll look into that as well. Going to make some calls on some local engine service shops in the Philly area. I’d rather have mine rebuilt(at a sensible price) than get a used motor with who knows how many miles because lots of the sellers bs the numbers

Unfortunately when I turned it on. It sounded like a clunking kind of noise. Idk if it’s worth saving

Have you looked into a rebuild?

I was told it would be better to get a new motor. Damage might be more extensive
In the link Acrad provided I think I mention about used Japanese motors, but I don't much more about it other than Japan requires motor replacement every 60k miles or something like that and many of the motors come to the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom