GX460 1UR-FE engine failure advice - shop needed Waco, TX or DFW, Austin area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background issue - engine failure 1UR-FE:

I have a 2010 GX460 with 134k miles that we purchased with 100k miles. It was regularly serviced by dealer prior to purchase. We are one of the unlucky few with a thrown cylinder 1 piston that both a local shop and Toyota recommend engine replacement. The problem is you CANNOT find the 1UR-FE engine for the GX460 almost anywhere! Apparently, the first two years of the GX 2009-10, there was some weakness in the springs that was updated on later models of the 1UR-FE so they have different part numbers for the later year models. My engine may have failed due to this spring weakness. For some reason Toyota seems to only want to put back in a matched engine from these 09-10 model years, presumably because the newer models have enough modifications that the ECU or something won't match up which limits the number of engines out there available for replacement.

Attempted solutions - Remanufactured or JDM import

I waited on an engine the Toyota dealership was trying to locate from salvage and then on my own from a reman outfit in Jacksonville FL since August. The remanufactured didn't work out because either the block was unavailable or the Lexus rebuild parts aren't available according to the remanufacturer. So I'm stuck and at a loss at this point. I may go back to an import JDM engine

Looking for shop to repair engine in Texas

There doesn't seem to be a reputable shop anyone recommends here in Waco, TX so if anyone can recommend a shop in DFW or Austin area, I'm willing to have it towed.

Sell to someone capable of fixing it?

I'd also be willing to consider selling it to someone who can fix it. The engine replacement and estimated repairs run a whopping 10k. I estimate the 2010 GX with 130k in excellent shape other than engine is worth 18-18.5k. I'd sell it for 8-8.5k, it someone is interested (white, tan interior, no ballast suspension on vehicle, no mods at this point). The head is already off so you can see where the problem is in the first cylinder, but I didn't get much of a description other than "dropped piston" in terms of what happened and any damage.

I'll try to keep an eye on the forum if anyone has any suggestions for repair or is interested in the vehicle. Thanks for any help provided!

Interesting.. I always thought that was an issue in the 1UR-FE used in the GS 460 in 2006-2008 timeframe

2010 Toyota Tundra VVTi Gear Assembly TSB Explained - https://tundraheadquarters.com/2010-toyota-tundra-gear-tsb/

Last edited:
Can you post some detailed pictures of the vehicle for those that may be interested in purchasing.

Have you looked into used Japanese engines? Japan requires a new engine every 60,000 miles and many of the old engines come over to the U.S.
You can get these engines at a pretty good price. Only issue is that their Prado's don't come with the V8 (I don't think anyways) but our GX V8's are used in other Toyota's.
This is the first link that came up when I Googled "Used Japanese Engines"
It's a starting point!

Good point about used JDM engines... they did use the 1UR-FE in LCs in Japan starting in late 2009 through whenever production ceased before the 2013 refresh. I know in US there wasn't a 2012 model year for LC/LX but it seems there was in other markets. Open to correction on that though.

This is definitely confounding... You dont need just a 1UR-FE, but a specific version? How do we even know which JDM vehicle MYs are relevant?

Engine ECU PNs for 10-19 models

2010-2011 / 8966160Q21

2012-2013 / 8966160U40

2014-2016 / 8966160W12

2017-2018 / 8966160U21

2019 / 8966660D20

Used Engines

2010 1UR-FE

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.36.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Wasn't the J150 with the 1UR only for NA and the other markets got the 1GR? If engines out of later year GXs won’t work, I doubt a 1UR out of a Tundra or overseas J200 would.

GX 460 with 1UR-FE has been sold in the following locations:

GCC (United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman), Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, United States, Canada, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Philippines

China from 10-11 w/1UR-FE before going with the GX 400 (1GR-FE V6) from '12-'17

Interesting.. I always thought that was an issue in the 1UR-FE used in the GS 460 in 2006-2008 timeframe

2010 Toyota Tundra VVTi Gear Assembly TSB Explained - https://tundraheadquarters.com/2010-toyota-tundra-gear-tsb/
Thanks for that first article. One of my valve springs was missing when they took the head off so I'm assuming we got hit with this issue. I was aware this might be a weakness from the second link you provided, but that is all I could find. I've not found a lot of other GX owners from the same years reporting this issue. I'm assuming I'm well beyond any recall replacement fix given I had it in a Toyota dealership and they didn't mention it.

I'd encourage other GX owners from the first two years to be aware of this issue because replacement engines are really scarce. We've been down since mid August trying to locate one. I did find one at AAA engines but their reviews are not good. Another forum user had good luck with them on an LX engine so I may go that route given my limited options.

GX 460 with 1UR-FE has been sold in the following locations:

GCC (United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman), Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, United States, Canada, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Philippines

China from 10-11 w/1UR-FE before going with the GX 400 (1GR-FE V6) from '12-'17
Toyota wasn't willing to consider the newer GX engine as a replacement option, but I don't see why the newer and more reliable engine with some modifications isn't possible.

Engine ECU PNs for 10-19 models

2010-2011 / 8966160Q21

2012-2013 / 8966160U40

2014-2016 / 8966160W12

2017-2018 / 8966160U21

2019 / 8966660D20

Used Engines

2010 1UR-FE

View attachment 2840128

Thanks to everyone for the replies and helpful links. The first one looks like a match but its in UK unfortunately (5k in US dollars which is what I was getting quoted for reman engines). I'll check it out.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and helpful links. The first one looks like a match but its in UK unfortunately (5k in US dollars which is what I was getting quoted for reman engines). I'll check it out.
Does anyone know if later year GX engines would work? What would be the modifications needed?

Crazy when you look at new Lexus price but interesting on slight price difference between 10-13 and 14-22

10-13 ($19,541.48)

14-22 ($21,017.46)

Thanks for all the input and support. I really appreciate all I learn on this forum.

Final outcome: GX went down mid-Aug. 2021. Ordered reman from Sharper Edge (FL) and waited for month or two and then they couldn't get Lexus OEM rebuild kit. Finally purchased an engine from August Pohl (MI) in December 2021 based on recommendation from Sharper Edge representative (who was really trying to help). My local installer in Waco, TX (Robert Pogue Auto) was, of course, busy and it took all the way until early April 2022 to finally get it back. It's working great and my wife is so excited, she feels like she has a new car.

Cost:
Engine: $7400 including shipping for engine with 55k miles.
Install was $4000 plus some refresh parts
Approximately $12,000 all together.

Recommendations for Engines and Experience:

You will find many engine replacement websites where you search your model and year and it will say they have an engine or block. In reality, many of these sites will use that to start looking for an engine or block and isn't actually in stock. Look at Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Google ratings before purchasing. I was scared off from several companies (particularly the ones on ebay with multiple names) based on constant bad reviews. If you aren't close to the engine supplier, it will be a challenge to address a non-working engine replacement remotely.

August Pohl has been in business for over 70 years and seems to be a common wholesaler to companies who trust them.
The other one I would recommend looking at that I found after I ordered my engine is www.jarcoinc.com (GA). They specialize in Toyota and Lexus and only deal with either dealers or maybe a certified shop. They seemed very legitimate, often have engines, and price was competitive.

I would have sent it to dieseltoys and swapped it haha

Reactions: r2m
I’m sorry for that wildly expensive engine swap, that’s a worst nightmare. Interesting to see how few options there are, it’s unfortunate.

Thanks for all the input and support. I really appreciate all I learn on this forum.

Final outcome: GX went down mid-Aug. 2021. Ordered reman from Sharper Edge (FL) and waited for month or two and then they couldn't get Lexus OEM rebuild kit. Finally purchased an engine from August Pohl (MI) in December 2021 based on recommendation from Sharper Edge representative (who was really trying to help). My local installer in Waco, TX (Robert Pogue Auto) was, of course, busy and it took all the way until early April 2022 to finally get it back. It's working great and my wife is so excited, she feels like she has a new car.

Cost:
Engine: $7400 including shipping for engine with 55k miles.
Install was $4000 plus some refresh parts
Approximately $12,000 all together.

Recommendations for Engines and Experience:

You will find many engine replacement websites where you search your model and year and it will say they have an engine or block. In reality, many of these sites will use that to start looking for an engine or block and isn't actually in stock. Look at Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Google ratings before purchasing. I was scared off from several companies (particularly the ones on ebay with multiple names) based on constant bad reviews. If you aren't close to the engine supplier, it will be a challenge to address a non-working engine replacement remotely.

August Pohl has been in business for over 70 years and seems to be a common wholesaler to companies who trust them.
The other one I would recommend looking at that I found after I ordered my engine is www.jarcoinc.com (GA). They specialize in Toyota and Lexus and only deal with either dealers or maybe a certified shop. They seemed very legitimate, often have engines, and price was competitive.
Are these the engines they pull from Japan after their vehicles reach, I think, 60,000 miles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom