45 Extended gas tank ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read somewhere on mud about 7 years ago that a plastic tank from an S-10 pick-up would fit under the bed. Can't remember if it was inside or outside the frame.

It's a mod I would consider except I don't want to put a new filler tube through the bed. It might be doable with the transfer system or a major connection tube that worked by gravity or syphon.

What's wrong with jerry cans for the once or twice a year you are more than a tankful away from a gas station? You planning a long overland trip?

Good ideas, I am thinking that going between the frame rails would be best just need to figure out where to have the filler neck. Dont plan on cutting any holes in the bed and yes maybe running a electric pump to fill the main tank

Though the details are not fully settled with my build, I am going with a fuel-cell between the rails of the frame. The filler will be on the side of the bed, and using a FJ40 style locking door. This will replace the tank in the interior, and be larger than stock. Will also have a dual jerrycan holder attached to the custom FC Fabs headache rack.

:cheers:

Steve

For a pickup or wagon? Isn't the wagon tank already between the rails under the rear?

I had an LV tank I was going to put in my LPB, but couldn't figure out the fill method...didn't want to put a filler neck through the bed floor. I came to the same conclusion as Kevin, a couple jerry cans for the few times I need an extended range.

As far as an LV extended tank, you could just build a fuel cell that is bigger in volume than your stock tank and replace the stock tank. Maybe find a 40 series Confer tank and modify the filler position to mate to the stock LV filler.

I read somewhere on mud about 7 years ago that a plastic tank from an S-10 pick-up would fit under the bed. Can't remember if it was inside or outside the frame.

It's a mod I would consider except I don't want to put a new filler tube through the bed. It might be doable with the transfer system or a major connection tube that worked by gravity or syphon.

What's wrong with jerry cans for the once or twice a year you are more than a tankful away from a gas station? You planning a long overland trip?

Ha Ha Kevin you have no idea :steer: After checking into fuel cells and such I think I am going with a tank in the bed just behind the cab. I can remove it easy enough and I wont have to cut anything. :cheers:

Ha Ha Kevin you have no idea :steer: After checking into fuel cells and such I think I am going with a tank in the bed just behind the cab. I can remove it easy enough and I wont have to cut anything. :cheers:

Oh, I think I may have an idea.

You are wondering if you can get your truck to go more that 3 hours on the highway without needing fuel.

I may be driving my 45 to rubicon in June and I am wondering if I can go more than 3 hours on the highway without needing a break. ha ha

Now there is a shameless plug for a 2 year old thread!!!!! :lol:

i guess "counting" isn't part of the fire-fighter classes, huh?! looks to me like that thread is 3 years old........ but what the hell do i know? i'm just another cruiser mechanic. :lol:

i guess "counting" isn't part of the fire-fighter classes, huh?! looks to me like that thread is 3 years old........ but what the hell do i know? i'm just another cruiser mechanic. :lol:

:lol: Thats why I am not an Engineer Georg, I am not a numbers guy!!!!!

:lol: Thats why I am not an Engineer Georg, I am not a numbers guy!!!!!

good thing too, cause engineers ( calcualtor not choo-choo ) are the worst kind. they love to tell ya how do do your job. Don and myself get one in the shop from time to time. we have fun with them cause ultimately, we're gonna do the work the way we see fit, not the way their Ipad tells them .......

:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom