42.2 degree tilt table for landcruiser, am i reading right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I never believe any of this crap.

Put the truck in an offcamber situation and then tell me what you think about it.

Oh yeah, Christo and Robbie know how much I like offcamber, not. :flipoff2:

Yes, it looks like the number is 42.2, though I'm a little unclear on which model TLC they tested in the various graphs. Some refer to an 80/105, others to a Troop Carrier and another to a Cruiser. At any rate, the message is clear that the 80 is in the higher risk category for rollovers.

Those of you with lifts, larger tires, heavy roof loads and/or old shock absorbers would be well advised to keep this issue in mind. Those who have not done these mods should also evaluate their need carefully if the vehicle is a daily driver or used to haul your family.

I recently got rid of a full size Montero/Pajero due to this issue. I absolutely loved the vehicle in every way - factory locker, nice size, 3rd seats, strong chassis, etc, etc and had spent some money on it after buying it new. But at freeway speeds I could plainly feel that it would go right over in an emergency maneuver. The 80 does not feel that way, but I also have stock or smaller tires on it (265 winter tires), and put fresh factory dampers on it at 100k and have a mental commitment not to modify the suspension until it is no longer a daily driver. I also use the rear air springs to eliminate any instability when it is heavily laden. So, I try to be responsible in light of the vehicle's high center of gravity.

Thanks for pointing out the site - a good reminder to all of us.

Despite the numbers on the graph, I have personally done a couple of all out emergency avoidance maneuvers at speed and found the Cruiser does well for its size. As bizarre as it sounds, my brother in law once took his identical 80 to a track where they had a handling course set up on weekends for local clubs and the public to compete on. He pissed off a lot of regular cars with it (he's a pretty good wheelman and suspension development engineer) and had a ball doing so with a 5300lb SUV. Had the stock Michelins at 50 psi or something and just tore the living crap out of them, but reported that it never felt like it wanted to roll.

DougM

I remember that Divisonal Van crash. - Victoria Police changed from Holden Commodore Ute's to Ford Falcons.

I have been in a HZJ105 with Rich Bates at 45 degrees on a Four Wheel Drive Test Track. :)

The Monash University takes Statistics from real Car Crashes and the only Australian Car Manufacturer that takes this on is Mitsubishi.

Don't forget your tools to measure the angles prior to attempting any obstacle. Wouldn't want to get in over your head?

I don't really get this sort of study anyway...if you go off camber and get too far into pucker factor there are a lot of ways to improve the situation aside from the skinny pedal.

Just my 2 cents.

just remember on down hill off camber the big pedal can get you in trouble as well,
the thing to keep in mind in all of this is remember that you are moving 3 tons of steel most of the time. drive accordingly. I would love to have more power in my cruiser and in my mini truck but I have adapted to driving like a grandpa at the speed limit and take my time. I already lost one cruiser to a loose nut behind the wheel (read off camber + down hill + big pedal= turtle impression) take it easy off road and even easier on the highway.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom