Builds Bunny: 40th Anniversary FZJ80 / 6BT / NV4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wintertime spa session on my Cruiser complete. Getting excited to do some camping and off roading as the snow melts around here.

- fixed a leaky A/C o-ring, so the system holds a charge again
- replaced the Toyota oil pressure sensor, so I have a functional oil pressure gauge again, glory be
- had some longer front bumpstops fabricated and installed, correcting contact between the sway bar and oil pan
- installed Dobinsons HD rear lower control arms

IMG_4364.JPG

IMG_4365.JPG

Jeez, where does a year go? Been that long since I posted an update to my truck's build page. Since then, it was a full year of road trips and wheeling, including a great 4x4 camp trip with my Dad down to the Four Corners region. On that trip, I had a big moment while on Valley of the Gods Road, when I hit a rut I didn't see coming, bottomed out the whole front suspension, jolted the whole contents of the truck and shifted my rooftop tent forward off my roof rack by 6". It was scary to have such a big hit and I'm lucky I didn't wreck. It made me realize... time for a suspension upgrade.

So I got feedback from fellow Mudders here and had my local shop Overland Cruisers in Belgrade, MT do some diagnosing, recommending and installing. The whole thing turned out to be more of an undertaking than I was expecting due to the "custom truck, custom problems" phenomenon, but so long as I think of it as an investment in future adventures, it's easier to swallow. At this point my truck has 305k miles on the odometer, 98k miles on the motor swap, and it's a heavy combo which sees hard off-road usage, so 'hardening' the truck a bit has been inevitable as things break or wear out over time. In retrospect, I'm probably glad I didn't know how much s*** was out of whack, but it feels pretty minty fresh right now.
  • Dobinsons MRR adjustable remote reservoir shock absorbers
  • Dobinsons adjustable hydraulic bump stops (front only)
  • Dobinsons adjustable steering damper
  • Dobinsons caster corrector plate
  • Dobinsons HD rear lower control arms
  • Delta front swaybar drop kit
  • Delta rear panhard lift bracket
  • new front double cardan driveshaft
  • new front u-joint
  • new radius arm bushings, rear upper control arm bushings
Initial on-road impressions about the MRRs are pretty incredible. The shop did a baseline adjustment on them after installation and there's an immediate, night and day difference to the steering and the ride. Steering effort and feedback through the wheel are surprisingly good, and makes me realize just how much sawing at the wheel I had been doing before. It tracks dead straight and for the first time since I've owned it, I felt comfortable one-hand steering it over a curvy mountain pass. Initial (very brief, ~5 miles) offroad impressions are that the responsiveness of the shocks and the controlled squish factor are really, really good. Haven't exactly jumped it yet, but I tried to hit a few ruts and holes with some speed and it's nothing like as crashy as before. There's a much-improved feeling of connectedness to what the tires are doing, and the control is massively improved, too.

I'm really excited to fiddle with the settings and get geeky about the ride and compliance when everything's loaded up and weighed down in maximum camping mode. Not to mention just plain wheeling with it, and driving it straight over curbs.

IMG_9651.jpg
IMG_9648.jpg

Jeez, where does a year go? Been that long since I posted an update to my truck's build page. Since then, it was a full year of road trips and wheeling, including a great 4x4 camp trip with my Dad down to the Four Corners region. On that trip, I had a big moment while on Valley of the Gods Road, when I hit a rut I didn't see coming, bottomed out the whole front suspension, jolted the whole contents of the truck and shifted my rooftop tent forward off my roof rack by 6". It was scary to have such a big hit and I'm lucky I didn't wreck. It made me realize... time for a suspension upgrade.

So I got feedback from fellow Mudders here and had my local shop Overland Cruisers in Belgrade, MT do some diagnosing, recommending and installing. The whole thing turned out to be more of an undertaking than I was expecting due to the "custom truck, custom problems" phenomenon, but so long as I think of it as an investment in future adventures, it's easier to swallow. At this point my truck has 305k miles on the odometer, 98k miles on the motor swap, and it's a heavy combo which sees hard off-road usage, so 'hardening' the truck a bit has been inevitable as things break or wear out over time. In retrospect, I'm probably glad I didn't know how much s*** was out of whack, but it feels pretty minty fresh right now.
  • Dobinsons MRR adjustable remote reservoir shock absorbers
  • Dobinsons adjustable hydraulic bump stops (front only)
  • Dobinsons adjustable steering damper
  • Dobinsons caster corrector plate
  • Dobinsons HD rear lower control arms
  • Delta front swaybar drop kit
  • Delta rear panhard lift bracket
  • new front double cardan driveshaft
  • new front u-joint
  • new radius arm bushings, rear upper control arm bushings
Initial on-road impressions about the MRRs are pretty incredible. The shop did a baseline adjustment on them after installation and there's an immediate, night and day difference to the steering and the ride. Steering effort and feedback through the wheel are surprisingly good, and makes me realize just how much sawing at the wheel I had been doing before. It tracks dead straight and for the first time since I've owned it, I felt comfortable one-hand steering it over a curvy mountain pass. Initial (very brief, ~5 miles) offroad impressions are that the responsiveness of the shocks and the controlled squish factor are really, really good. Haven't exactly jumped it yet, but I tried to hit a few ruts and holes with some speed and it's nothing like as crashy as before. There's a much-improved feeling of connectedness to what the tires are doing, and the control is massively improved, too.

I'm really excited to fiddle with the settings and get geeky about the ride and compliance when everything's loaded up and weighed down in maximum camping mode. Not to mention just plain wheeling with it, and driving it straight over curbs.

View attachment 3597395View attachment 3597394
That’s badass! I have been eyeing a Dobinson’s setup and debating if the MRR shocks are worth it. Sounds like they are!

Remind me your coil spring and tire specs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom