40-series OEM power steering install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

all bolt on...

I have a 72 FJ40 with a Chevy 350 conversion. I wanted P/S. I found P/S gear box, pump, cooler line, and hoses on a 1979 FJ55 that was in a junk yard. A friend bought the whole Pig and parted it out. I got the gear box, cooler line and pressure line. I would use a Chevy p/s pump.

Everyone said it would not be bolt on, with many modifications it might work, the pitman arm wasn't compatible... the list went on and on...

I bolted the gear box to the angled perch. That fit. I put the steering column on si I could check the angle. Angle was perfect. Got the pitman arm on there... it turned lock to lock like it was supposed to...

So I have "stock" OEM Cruiser p/s. Works great!

I had to have the pressure line made special. Standard threads and the metric on the fittings was the most complicated thing. So I have it shaped with the hard metal line where it is closest to the engine, then rubber. Cost was about $20

June Bennett Egbert, WY

Pimp,.

Ever get a part number to the Pressure line from the mini box to the pump?

Shane

Hey guys,

Will a mini truck steering box (79-85 4wd) work in a power steering coversion with an OEM Fj40 pump?

Cause that's da parts i got.

If not, I may have to get an 85 Tercel pump as I know that works.

Thanks,

Hunter

Pablo,

Interesting that you should ask. As I was sitting outside of Boeing Surplus Sales this AM I was sketching some plans to make a version of the mount originally sold by CCOT (still can't understand why they quit making 'em). I haven't seen one of the originals in the "flesh" but I intend to make mind mostly on a rotary table so that not only look good but are uniformly strong. Steel will be my first choice but I may try some out of aluminum and TIG weld them together.

It shouldn't be too hard to complete these but I have to get my machine shop set up and running again since I had to move the old one due to a divorce (another story).

Once I have the tools all set, wired, and running, this will be my next project. I will try to run off several to see how well they are received by those of us who are afflicted with this Land Cruiser sickness...

Keeping my fingers crossed, I should have things up and running again by the begining to middle of March.

I'll definitely keep you in mind, Pablo.

Cheers!

FALSE ALARM. I thought I found an old CCOT PS bracket kit uninstalled. It is a compressor mounting kit. Anybody need one??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom