40-series OEM power steering install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I no expert, but I have been receiving quite a few questions about installing OEM power steering for the 40-series since I'm selling a gearbox on Ebay. For those of you interested... everthing I came to know about the install was aquired from the following write-up:

Toyota Trails (March/April 1998) pages 40-44

:cheers:

Last edited:
Great artical, its hard as heck to read but its very good. I will make a few statments.

just use a fj60 PS pump, bracket.....its has the smog pump adjustment on it.(maybe this is what he ending up with, I couldnt tell)

you can't get the OEM cooler tube anymore, so use a small trany cooling instead.

High presure hose, I found a new aftermarket one, forget if I ordered a fj60 or mini truck hose(or maybe it was a fj40 hose), but it was $35, I got the part number someplace. Napa had it as well as the the indi store.

factory PS belt works perfect.

the heat sheild from the manual box will swap to the PS box. Pitman arm is the same.

I would replace the rag joint when your at it.

Also...........you can make your own OME fj40 PS box(thanks Rick) Order a new OEM 1979(only year they still make, but fits all) PS casting(empty housing) from the dealer, $275. Get a used solid axle 4x4 mini truck PS box(free to $100)...........and swap the guts from the mini into the fj40 PS casting.........they are the same! The OEM seal kit for a mini and fj40 are the same part number :) I send mine out to be put toghether by RedHead Gear in Seattle, they charge $200....I suplied all the seals.

This is a GREAT conversion! this is what i did on my 82 fj40's.

John h

Just wondering what you used for the "cooling" line... Did you find a stock one or did you use something a little more universal?

"you can't get the OEM cooler tube anymore, so use a small trany cooling instead." -John pointed this out...

Many people use a small automatic transmission cooler for many different types of power steering systems as a cooler. I run two on my Red truck..

Good luck!

-Steve

pimp can you give more detail on swapping out guts?

I have a ps 79 box, but in my accident i snapped half the input into the box and i need to replace the top seal anyways. so mini guts need to swap all as one, or can i just replace the input? any info would be great.

"you can't get the OEM cooler tube anymore, so use a small trany cooler instead" and thats what I used a smalll trany cooler ;)

[quote author=SuperDuperCruizer link=board=1;threadid=12964;start=msg119783#msg119783 date=1079063408]
Just wondering what you used for the "cooling" line... Did you find a stock one or did you use something a little more universal?
[/quote]

no I can't because RedHead Gear did the swap and rebuild. I imagine the parts are the same, from what the guy that rebuilt it said. All I know for sure is......the mini guts fit in the fj40 OEM casting and the seal kit is the same part # for both fj40 and 85 or older mini.

Wish I knew more about the rebuild but I didnt think it was something I wanted to do myself so I farmed it out. I gave them the new casting and a complete mini box.......got back a fj40 PS box.

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=12964;start=msg119844#msg119844 date=1079068866]
pimp can you give more detail on swapping out guts?

I have a ps 79 box, but in my accident i snapped half the input into the box and i need to replace the top seal anyways. so mini guts need to swap all as one, or can i just replace the input? any info would be great.
[/quote]

40-series OEM power steering cooling line

:whoops: Short term memory and attention span not so good. :-[ I guess I should have re-read the post before asking the question. Maybe I would have caught it the second time. :slap: I do have an OEM cooling line in perfect shape... is this something worth producing in stainless through a company like Classic Tube or has this part developed a reputation as uneffective for wheeling purposes. I'll probably have one made and used for my restoration anyway, but I was curious if I should have a few extra made for those in need. Anyone interested?

40-series OEM power steering cooling line

I would certainly like one. if you make one put me down for one or two.

reality is the tube prolly isn't needed or even a trany cooler(PS cooler) for normal use and that the trany cooler prolly does a better job than the tube does anyway, but for OEM sticklers the tube would be desirable.

[quote author=SuperDuperCruizer link=board=1;threadid=12964;start=msg119885#msg119885 date=1079090293]
:whoops: Short term memory and attention span not so good. :-[ I guess I should have re-read the post before asking the question. Maybe I would have caught it the second time. :slap: I do have an OEM cooling line in perfect shape... is this something worth producing in stainless through a company like Classic Tube or has this part developed a reputation as uneffective for wheeling purposes. I'll probably have one made and used for my restoration anyway, but I was curious if I should have a few extra made for those in need. Anyone interested?
[/quote]

Hi Landpimp,

Since I'm installing a "late model" factory power steering setup on my '77 FJ40, I will need to modify the factory pump mount. How the heck is the belt tension adjusted. It looks like the designers had the pump bracket mounted tight to the block? Does the airpump (which I do not have) get mounted below the pump and is it adjustable with the same belt?

Thanks for your help!

$275 casting
$50 mini truck box
$25 rebuild kit
$200 labor
-------------
$550

$50 mini truck box
$85 bracket to mount mini truck box on a 40 (or $0 build your own)
----------------------
$135

What's the big draw of having the OEM box? Resale? Functionality will be identical.

Doug_S said:
Hi Landpimp,

Since I'm installing a "late model" factory power steering setup on my '77 FJ40, I will need to modify the factory pump mount. How the heck is the belt tension adjusted. It looks like the designers had the pump bracket mounted tight to the block? Does the airpump (which I do not have) get mounted below the pump and is it adjustable with the same belt?

Thanks for your help!

Doug, your belt will make a big triangle from PS pump to crank pulley to alternator - supply tension at alternator (I believe)
ccot brackets installed front.jpg

Pablo,

Thanks for the info. It's now as clear as crystal. I'll get right on the modification to the pump mount. I was under the impression that it fit on the inner crankshaft pully notch. The setup that you detail makes a whole lot more sense.

Cruiser Ken...I want (and already have) the stock setup so...it's a no brainer for me.

Thanks, you two, for your input!!!

Pablo,

I'm actually using a 40-series power steering pump (as I've been told). I'm going to go with a mount that is patterned off of the old CCOT setup which is now out of production. The photo above looks to me like one of the old CCOT setups if I recall correctly.

If I can ever get my CNC plasma cutter up and running, I may dash off a few of these for members.

I'll take some photos when I get the mount all TIG welded and powder coated.

I'll let everyone know if I knock of a series of the pump mounts. Price should be very reasonable.

Cheers!

Pablo,

Interesting that you should ask. As I was sitting outside of Boeing Surplus Sales this AM I was sketching some plans to make a version of the mount originally sold by CCOT (still can't understand why they quit making 'em). I haven't seen one of the originals in the "flesh" but I intend to make mind mostly on a rotary table so that not only look good but are uniformly strong. Steel will be my first choice but I may try some out of aluminum and TIG weld them together.

It shouldn't be too hard to complete these but I have to get my machine shop set up and running again since I had to move the old one due to a divorce (another story).

Once I have the tools all set, wired, and running, this will be my next project. I will try to run off several to see how well they are received by those of us who are afflicted with this Land Cruiser sickness...

Keeping my fingers crossed, I should have things up and running again by the begining to middle of March.

I'll definitely keep you in mind, Pablo.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom