40 Series Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malaise-1981-FJ40.jpg

For those of you who are lucky enough to have factory A/C, does it do an adequate job of cooling?
Thanks....
Don't know about the 40's, but I have factory air in my 74 FJ55 (Pig), and it works well.

I find it so totally amazing that a vehicle upwards of 40 yrs + is still so magical!!!

The only way to distinguish a 1978 from a 1977 FJ40 is that in 1978 Toyota eliminated the fresh air vent in the cowl between the windshield and the hood. This eliminated a source of leaks but had no real effect on the vehicle.

Great thread, lots of fun to read. The knowledge on MUD never ceases to amaze me. My 12/76 FJ40 doesn't have the cowl vent between the windshield and hood. I wonder why?

If I'm not mistaken one of the main things that has caught my attention of the LX FJ40s is that it appears to have a fully floating rear axle

Thank you all that replied to my several questions. This forum is incredibly helpful to newbies like me in providing detailed information on these great vehicles. Once my FJ40 arrives, I will post another thank you along with pictures.

Chambas posts about FJ40 history should be made into a sticky for future reference. After reading his posts I have l;earned things I didn't know and helps me to appreciate my 40 all the more.

There seems to be a significant difference between model years of windshield/windscreen glass dimensions. On attempting to use a good glass from a frame with the wiper located at the bottom of the frame to an earlier top frame mount, the following was discovered (referenced new to old):
1. 1/2" taller.
2. Bottom glass width is narrower with the implied tighter radii and steeper side angles
3. single piece vs two piece rubber

I may have missed this but when was a reverse light first introduced?

Was there anything in its place like a reflector?

Also, the small round reflectors on the front aprons were only used for a couple years, starting in '68 and ending when?

@Chamba Excellent! One of the best reads I have had in quite some time. So if I may ask what year do you personally think is the best and why? Thanks for increasing early Landcruiser knowledge.

the 1983 fj40 of course! only around 300 imported to U.S.
of course I'm biased though, I drive one of them every day!
and thank you @Chamba great info.

The 1983 could be considered the best because of the mechanical changes that made driving a much better experience. The problem with the 1983 is a lighter frame and much thinner metal. The units brought into wetter areas rusted quickly and all the way through. If Toyota would have kept the old frame/body from the 1960s and just changed mechanical and interior, it would have been a great machine. (Not to say it isn't now but I mean Super great.) Most of the later model survivors are from dryer areas. The ones in wetter areas have new tubs, frame repairs etc..

That's what I saw in the picture, but with a LX emblem. And, like that one, only 2 windshield wipers.

Hello,

Australia spec LX had three wipers. Other markets had two. And full floating axles.

Juan

Great thread, lots of fun to read. The knowledge on MUD never ceases to amaze me. My 12/76 FJ40 doesn't have the cowl vent between the windshield and hood. I wonder why?

Interesting as my 12-76 does not have the vent either. Also, I notice my rig doesn't have several of the items noted as being peculiar to the '77 model year. I wonder if they just pushed a few out the door at the end of the year that had left over parts, etc. I have bookmarked this thread to print off later as it has some excellent information. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

It also depends on the market where it was to be sold. My November 1978 Australian delivered FJ40 has no power steering, no air-conditioning, no radio, no dash pads, front heater only, no rear jump seats, no bucket seats, dual under seat fuel tanks, no front discs and 4.11 diff. It does have rear ambulance doors and unusual for local delivered vehicles, the oval air cleaner instead of the more usual drum. Seems the Toyota distributor/importer didn't tick too many of the options boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom