40 Series Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wondering, can 1974 rear quarter panels fit a 1977?

If your in the US market the bracket to support the spare tire will be on the right for 74 and left for 77. 74 would either have barn doors or tailgate if a soft top model. 77 in the US market the 77 would have ambulance doors. 74 tub will not be notched so ambulance doors will not fit flush. This is the hardest thing to convert. Catch for the doors in the bottom will be different as well but not a big a deal to modify.

It also depends on the market where it was to be sold. My November 1978 Australian delivered FJ40 has no power steering, no air-conditioning, no radio, no dash pads, front heater only, no rear jump seats, no bucket seats, dual under seat fuel tanks, no front discs and 4.11 diff. It does have rear ambulance doors and unusual for local delivered vehicles, the oval air cleaner instead of the more usual drum. Seems the Toyota distributor/importer didn't tick too many of the options boxes.

As far as I know power steering and A/C started 1/79. Upper dash pad believe started 10/81 (82 model) with the insert dash which started a year early in the RHD models. But only had the upper pad. US had upper and lower since the 68 model. Radio was always an option. Rear heater was an option as well. Bucket seats were the only ones imported to the US. Most markets continued getting a bench seat. US had front disc brake since the 76 model. These was a safety requirement not an option. Australian didn't get disc brake inlet 10/82 (83 model). 4.11:1 diff gear were the standard. Our 3.70:1 was to help the miles per gallon. Most place I seen 3.70:1 out the US market were on diesels with better low end torque and a lower peak RPM. Until the US Australia had more options as for models. Barn doors and hatch was still available as well as the ambulance doors hard top which was only option here. I have seen another 40 series in Australia with the oval air cleaner. That does seem odd. No jump seats more than forty years later could just be removed. The dual tanks is something I've never seen as a option and would be interested in seeing the setup. Could be stock or added later. About 50% of the 40 series I've bought over the years had a second tank added. All those were behind the rear axle. There is a long range option that replaces the under the seat style for one large tank. Never seen a section smaller one.

As far as I know power steering and A/C started 1/79. Upper dash pad believe started 10/81 (82 model) with the insert dash which started a year early in the RHD models. But only had the upper pad. US had upper and lower since the 68 model. Radio was always an option. Rear heater was an option as well. Bucket seats were the only ones imported to the US. Most markets continued getting a bench seat. US had front disc brake since the 76 model. These was a safety requirement not an option. Australian didn't get disc brake inlet 10/82 (83 model). 4.11:1 diff gear were the standard. Our 3.70:1 was to help the miles per gallon. Most place I seen 3.70:1 out the US market were on diesels with better low end torque and a lower peak RPM. Until the US Australia had more options as for models. Barn doors and hatch was still available as well as the ambulance doors hard top which was only option here. I have seen another 40 series in Australia with the oval air cleaner. That does seem odd. No jump seats more than forty years later could just be removed. The dual tanks is something I've never seen as a option and would be interested in seeing the setup. Could be stock or added later. About 50% of the 40 series I've bought over the years had a second tank added. All those were behind the rear axle. There is a long range option that replaces the under the seat style for one large tank. Never seen a section smaller one.

Your knowledge of Australian cruisers is strong. The second tank is under the bench seat. About 40 litres enclosed in a metal box painted in the same beige. I have fuel fillers on both sides which makes it difficult when most pump hoses are now not long enough without turning around. Their is a valve between the tanks activated by a small knob on the dash to switch between tanks. Still uses the stock mechanical fuel pump. The second tank has no gauge so best to use it first. No history on the Installation - it was there 38 years ago. Jump seats were not there then nor is any hardware. The original registration says 3 passengers only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom